• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on getting comics ready for CGC table

5 posts in this topic

Hello All. I wanted to get some advice on getting some comics signed. I have used and will continue to use the services on this board. However I would like to start getting some done on my own. Hopefully I will be at Baltimore this year and want to get a couple of different people to sign my books. I have been told that getting the VIP is nice if you can afford it to start the process early. Otherwise I know the wait could be an hour or more. Should I have a couple of forms ready with different creators names just in case one is not available? How many creators are allowed within reason to be fair to whomever is waiting in line for the next witness. And how much of a tip do you give the witness if any.

I would probably like to get 2 of each person then go back on another day if I had more. Should I bring my own pen/markers.

Thank you for any advice.

I'm not sure if this will answer all your questions, but i'll answer some.

1.  I'm pretty sure you don't tip the CGC witness (but I think in some cases they wouldn't mind a snack or a drink)

2. you can fill out the CGC form later, or just fill it out mostly and cross stuff out if you miss out on some creators.

3.  You can bring your own pens and markers if you want a specific type of pen or color, but they usually have their own stuff.  But it doesn't hurt to have an extra handy.  Also, some people don't want to use your pens even if you prefer it.

4.  You didn't technically ask it, but if it were a multi-day con, you can open an 'order'  with CGC and keep adding CGC SS books to that order all day or over multiple days and 'check out' after you've collected all your sigs.

5.  I think if you're consistently getting sigs without waiting too long in line, you can 'hog' the witness somewhat indefinitely once you've got them (though they may respond to other requests or work).  They're getting paid for their time, and you're paying CGC.  But you shouldn't expect them to really wait with you in line for very long. (its fairly easy to do texting now)

Also, there is a signature subforum with a thread for newbies, you might get some extra help in there. 

But the first thing you should do is go to the CGC booth when you get to the con and have them walk you through all the processes, as its different for every event and sometimes different for different signings or VIP events with a given convention.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:49 AM, revat said:

I'm not sure if this will answer all your questions, but i'll answer some.

1.  I'm pretty sure you don't tip the CGC witness (but I think in some cases they wouldn't mind a snack or a drink)

2. you can fill out the CGC form later, or just fill it out mostly and cross stuff out if you miss out on some creators.

3.  You can bring your own pens and markers if you want a specific type of pen or color, but they usually have their own stuff.  But it doesn't hurt to have an extra handy.  Also, some people don't want to use your pens even if you prefer it.

4.  You didn't technically ask it, but if it were a multi-day con, you can open an 'order'  with CGC and keep adding CGC SS books to that order all day or over multiple days and 'check out' after you've collected all your sigs.

5.  I think if you're consistently getting sigs without waiting too long in line, you can 'hog' the witness somewhat indefinitely once you've got them (though they may respond to other requests or work).  They're getting paid for their time, and you're paying CGC.  But you shouldn't expect them to really wait with you in line for very long. (its fairly easy to do texting now)

Also, there is a signature subforum with a thread for newbies, you might get some extra help in there. 

But the first thing you should do is go to the CGC booth when you get to the con and have them walk you through all the processes, as its different for every event and sometimes different for different signings or VIP events with a given convention.

For the crazy long lines like Stan Lee, I've had them just take my stuff to have him sign after the session was over & I didn't even see him sign it. Just not enough witnesses to stand in line with that many people.