• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACE Comic Con, Chicago, Oct 12-14 at Chicago's Navy Pier
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Getting to Navy Pier is such a pain in the . The closet El stop is the Red Line Grand stop, which is a 20 minute walk. The Metra station is even further away. There isn't enough parking nearby (and it's expensive).

But what the hell do I know?

@RCheli- No matter where you go, people will complain that "it's too this, it's too that." I heard the same complaints at McCormick and Rosemont every year. If you bring the guests that people want, you have to travel. I live in NYC. If I want to go 5 blocks, it takes 20 minutes. Javitz and SD Convention Center, Anaheim, all the big shows are in inconvenient locations. People find a way when there's something they want to see. Our early sales reflect the fact that we are getting Artists that never or rarely appear. It is Brolin's 1st appearance ever, same for Zazie. Only Hiddleston's 3rd. We are announcing some more great names soon, stay tuned. -Stephen

On 8/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, Red84 said:

What’s the history of this convention? The celebrity list is incredible. 

First show in Chicago, like fourth overall. Run by the Shamus brothers after they departed Wizard. Similar model. 

6 hours ago, HOTFLIPS said:

Very different model.  There aren't 900 vendors selling the same thing.  And the celebrity and comic guests have been off the charts.

So how is the model different? Please elaborate. 

Read above post.  Its more of a boutique dealers room.  You don't have 100 different people selling sand art.  If you are able to exhibit at the show AND you have merchandise that people want to buy, you will do well.

That’s fine, you just hadn’t provided a lot of detail in the first post. To my eyes they’re both autograph shows. Not sure who is spending with vendors after blowing $1000+ on autos and photos. They have payment plans on these ops now, so you don’t even have to come up with all the cash at once. If you have to use a payment plan for a photo that should tell you something about where the costs of these things have gotten (and that vendors aren’t getting any of their money).

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

That’s fine, you just hadn’t provided a lot of detail in the first post. To my eyes they’re both autograph shows. Not sure who is spending with vendors after blowing $1000+ on autos and photos. They have payment plans on these ops now, so you don’t even have to come up with all the cash at once. If you have to use a payment plan for a photo that should tell you something about where the costs of these things have gotten (and that vendors aren’t getting any of their money).

Payment plans for your photo op and five seconds to spend with a star - if that is not a first world problem then I do not know what is.

Would also be nice if you are going to be a comic con to know what comic creators are going to be there.  The fact that none have been announced shows where the emphasis is. 

4 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Payment plans for your photo op and five seconds to spend with a star - if that is not a first world problem then I do not know what is.

Would also be nice if you are going to be a comic con to know what comic creators are going to be there.  The fact that none have been announced shows where the emphasis is. 

They do have some creators listed. Starlin and Ron Lim are the highlights.