• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would happen if you dropped an SS slab and it broke open?

25 posts in this topic

Since SS have to be opened by CGC would the book immediately become 'name written on cover' and lose value?

1 hour ago, kav said:

Since SS have to be opened by CGC would the book immediately become 'name written on cover' and lose value?

The inner well is sealed.  CGC would be able to see if the inner well had been opened, too.  I don't think you can drop a slab and have both the slab and the inner well open.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The inner well is sealed.  CGC would be able to see if the inner well had been opened, too.  I don't think you can drop a slab and have both the slab and the inner well open.

thx

49 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

The 'Seventh Seal' would be broken and unleash the hordes of hell.  Don't mess with SS slabs or you could doom us all.

Lots of folks crack their slabbed comics, but I've got to think that SS collectors practically never do it. That would indeed be a sign of the end times for them.

1 minute ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I will confess, I'm really happy to have a Russ Heath and a Nick Cardy SS comic.

it is all good-- I just wonder are these really comics at that point or simply display items. Odds are high that no one will ever read that book again (and in some cases, the books were never read at all).

I get that people collect what they like and it is their stuff- and I am glad they are happy with how they collect.

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

it is all good-- I just wonder are these really comics at that point or simply display items. Odds are high that no one will ever read that book again (and in some cases, the books were never read at all).

I get that people collect what they like and it is their stuff- and I am glad they are happy with how they collect.

I do consider taking them out. I'm edging in the direction of just cracking all my slabs. I only have one box of them anyway. I do have some raw comics that are signed, supposedly, by creators. To my exceedingly untrained eye, they look genuine to me, but I don't know. That yellow label is some good comfort for authenticity.

17 hours ago, littlebull said:

Yeah, the outer shell really is not the issue, and it may even get the same grade, not sure if anyone knows this for sure.

Well, true, but as it relates to keeping the yellow label vs green label "name written on cover", if the outer shell is cracked enough that you could take out the inner well with book, and replace it with another book in an inner well (for example from a green label slab), then I don't think they'd let you keep the yellow label (even if the inner well was intact). Just my suspicion, don't actually know if that's true or not. But I would assume so given the stringent requirements for SS yellow label.

8 hours ago, CKinTO said:

Well, true, but as it relates to keeping the yellow label vs green label "name written on cover", if the outer shell is cracked enough that you could take out the inner well with book, and replace it with another book in an inner well (for example from a green label slab), then I don't think they'd let you keep the yellow label (even if the inner well was intact). Just my suspicion, don't actually know if that's true or not. But I would assume so given the stringent requirements for SS yellow label.

Aren't the labels inside the seal?

On 7/20/2018 at 2:07 PM, seredynskib said:

The slab is the protector. Putting a protector to protect the procector seems silly.

yes then you'd have to get a protector protector protector etc.