• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The AWAX 2018 SDCC report

176 posts in this topic

Sunday night and another SDCC is done.  But I still have a day of stuff to post. 

Coffee is poured..

today Kramerica and I were discussing music with an employee of Torpedo comics. I was telling Mark that the band Ghost were more of a 80s new wave/70 rock band than a metal band.  The earlier albums sound like Blue Oyster Cult.  John from System of the Down was there and heard every word we said but didn’t join in on our conversation :sorry:

tell me what you think.  

ill be starting in a min..

When I was getting the Walking Dead book, I was talking to Big Clutch.  They have a little private area behind the booth and a door opened and Robert Kirkman came out to tell Shawn ( Big Clutch ) something.  Robert went back in the room and Shawn asked if I wanted A signed copy.  So he took him one and got it signed for me ...

2mzfntj.jpg

Very cool :headbang:

Years ago Kramerica showed me how cool Pre-Code horror books are.  Every year I go to different booths and look and drool on a few.  Usually at Dale’s booth I’ll spend quite some time pawing at all the cool books and looking at the covers. 

I was looking at Giant Size X-men 1s today and just couldn’t find one in the condition I wanted that fit my budget. 

While sitting at Dale’s booth waiting for Mark to go look at a X-men book with me, this caught my eye.  There’s something about this cover I just like.  

So when I passed on the X-men I went back to Dale’s book and grabbed this. 

Thanks Dale :applause:

351bodv.jpg

Edited by Awax

1 hour ago, Awax said:

Sunday night and another SDCC is done.  But I still have a day of stuff to post. 

Coffee is poured..

today Kramerica and I were discussing music with an employee of Torpedo comics. I was telling Mark that the band Ghost were more of a 80s new wave/70 rock band than a metal band.  The earlier albums sound like Blue Oyster Cult.  John from System of the Down was there and heard every word we said but didn’t join in on our conversation :sorry:

tell me what you think.  

These guys are popular on my local rock station. Had the opportunity to see them live a couple of times. They kind of sound/perform like a weird mesh of Slipknot and Primus (in a good way), so...80s new wave?

15 hours ago, Awax said:

Coffee is poured..

tell me what you think.  

I think you're right on about Ghost's sound, and that's why I love them. I usually describe them as Deep Purple meets Duran Duran meets the Devil.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:29 AM, Awax said:

sound more Oingo Boingo to me then Slipknot. 

Most of their covers are non metal 80s ,   Depeche Mode , pet shop boys. 

I like Ghost a lot. They are much harder live than their studio sound. Very tight also. I like how their look continues to change. Papa rules.