• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Batman 251 become the new Incredible Hulk 181?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

I think it would have been a better cover if Adams did not disjoint Joker's hips.  I still can't get over that anatomy mistake.

Great thanks. Never noticed that before, now I can't NOT see it. Argh

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

Great thanks. Never noticed that before, now I can't NOT see it. Argh

I noticed it decades ago. No way the Joker could stand that way. Major perspective mistake. But hell. I guess we can forgive Neal his one drawing mistake he ever made.

54 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I noticed it decades ago. No way the Joker could stand that way. Major perspective mistake. But hell. I guess we can forgive Neal his one drawing mistake he ever made.

Batman 244 has another error, unless Ra's is holding a spare Batman costume.

f58e50a9ad933a466af2d5cfa086c946.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Batman 244 has another error in it, unless Ra's is holding a spare Batman costume.

f58e50a9ad933a466af2d5cfa086c946.jpg

I always point this out at comic conventions, just to hear the same laugh from new people. :grin:

On 7/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Batman #227 is wildly, vastly overrated and overvalued. It's a neato Adams homage cover. That's it.

+1

Yes, I'll take the original 'Tec 31 over the poor man's Batman 227 version any time of the day.

Except for the fact that I would never be able to purchase a copy of one in today's still red hot pre-Robin 'Tec marketplace.  :cry:

5 hours ago, Brian48 said:

That's actually not an error.  In an interview, Neal said he had drawn Batman nude.  Julie Schwarz or someone high up at DC saw that and said "NO WAY".  They had to color some pants on Bats.

Yup.

But, the end result of their interference with his design still looks wrong, once you notice it.

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.

But, the end result of their interference with his design still looks wrong, once you notice it.

Exactly. How hard would it have been to add a loin cloth on a nude Batman? Sure, his fight with Ra's in the desert shows him just wearing his "slacks" (whatever those are called), but the cover is always more insinuating than what's in the book. Given the CCA, why would Adams even try to submit a nude cover? Are there other examples in the bronze age of this kind of thing? Maybe Adams wanted to be the first. He got snapped back at any rate.

It's a weird cover an battle in that both Batman and Ra's would have died in the desert from heatstroke before their battle concluded. It went on for hours, if I remember correctly. Did Ubu separate them to their corners every 10 minutes or so for a rub down and a drink of water? I don't think so.

It's still my favorite Adams Bat cover with 'Tec #395 and #402 following up close.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

It's still my favorite Adams Bat cover

+1

It's still a great cover, despite its flaws.  :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/27/2018 at 8:01 AM, valiantman said:

Does anyone (besides me) think that Batman #251 would have been a better cover if it had a Joker playing card instead of the Ace of Spades?

Well, yes, now that you mention it. 

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Well, yes, now that you mention it. 

I thought the use of the Ace of Spades was a clue to what lay inside the book. The card is associated with death. The Joker started killing again beginning with this issue. Since Batman 9 he hadn't killed. I always thought it was a clever tease!

On 7/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Brian48 said:

That's actually not an error.  In an interview, Neal said he had drawn Batman nude.  Julie Schwarz or someone high up at DC saw that and said "NO WAY".  They had to color some pants on Bats.

Should have put on some Bat Boxers.   

There are a few comics that I regret selling. My Bats 251 is one of them. It was a real sweet copy. Perfectly centered with a perfect wrap. The buyer, a boardie named Nik (RIP), bought it and slabbed it. It came back a white paged 9.6. I bought it years ago for almost nothing so I did make money on it but still. He thought it was a going to be a 9.4 tops (The fabled "Nik Bump" I guess lol. Old timers will know what that means.)

But it's okay because I have found other comic deals since then that have offset that goof. Besides, the Bats 232 and 237 I got from the same seller are still mine and they are both easily 9.6s. 

6 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

There are a few comics that I regret selling. My Bats 251 is one of them. It was a real sweet copy. Perfectly centered with a perfect wrap. The buyer, a boardie named Nik (RIP), bought it and slabbed it. It came back a white paged 9.6. I bought it years ago for almost nothing so I did make money on it but still. He thought it was a going to be a 9.4 tops (The fabled "Nik Bump" I guess lol. Old timers will know what that means.)

But it's okay because I have found other comic deals since then that have offset that goof. Besides, the Bats 232 and 237 I got from the same seller are still mine and they are both easily 9.6s. 

I regret trading my HOS 92 9.0 blue label a couple of years ago. I got my Bat 251 9.0 Blue for $115 several years ago. I do not think it's overrated. I think it's been underrated for too long and a whole lotta people suddenly realized it was a key issue in that the Joker began killing again after being on the wagon for 31 years. Since 1942!

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I regret trading my HOS 92 9.0 blue label a couple of years ago. I got my Bat 251 9.0 Blue for $115 several years ago. I do not think it's overrated. I think it's been underrated for too long and a whole lotta people suddenly realized it was a key issue in that the Joker began killing again after being on the wagon for 31 years. Since 1942!

That's an odd...and dark...reason for a book to become valuable.