• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Batman 251 become the new Incredible Hulk 181?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Hulk 181 isn't infallible.  I has the 1st Wolverine cover but can't claim any better than the 2nd Wolverine story page. :kidaround:

I only meant infallible as a tongue in cheek gesture. There are of course much better stories and artwork in many many other books. It always made me sick, the way Wolverine was pretty much Seigel and Shustered away from some little kid of a marvel Comics Group fan. At least the way I understood it to have happened. Cheap shot, Stan the Man.

By the way....#251 isn't the only stellar Bats issue from the time period. From essentially, I'd say, #215-up, you had a great 4-5 year run of fantastic Batman stories, a return

Denny has often been quoted as saying "Batman should never be seen during the daytime" (paraphrased) He made sure of that when he began writing the title. There's a quantum shift in tone from 1968 to 1969 that is palpable even from the covers, even from the non-Adams issues. 

After the 100 pages (#254-#261), the book returned to a campier tone, but not as bad as the 60s...and, while there isn't much to speak of from #300-#399, it's all solid stuff, fairly entertaining, and fairly faithful to the Dark Knight detective. 

And then there's #400-442, quite possibly one of the greatest long term runs in comics history, certainly the best in Bat history.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:49 PM, bronze johnny said:

The darker interpretation for all things Batman starts with Tec 395. And the apex of the chain of events occuring during the "darker interpretation" Adams/O'Neil era for Batman is Bats 232, not 251. 251's cover is the key attraction in terms of monetary value in the Slab-Age of Comics. And the speculators pushing this book to make $$$ are primarily focused on the cover.

Brilliant.  

11 hours ago, Not A Clone said:
On 7/27/2018 at 5:21 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Batman 244 has another error, unless Ra's is holding a spare Batman costume.

f58e50a9ad933a466af2d5cfa086c946.jpg

I just assumed he had some extra layers on just in case he got cold in the desert. 

I believe Adams stated that his leg was supposed to be skin colored but that it was a little risque for the time. Something along those lines.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I believe Adams stated that his leg was supposed to be skin colored but that it was a little risque for the time. Something along those lines.

That’s the story.  Most likely an editorial decision.  Still a classic cover.  People love this one.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Well no. Ace Of Spades means "death" and so using that card on the first Joker murder rampage in 30 years was perfect.

can't even remember what I was talking about. To lazy to scroll up, but I believe ya.