Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
6 6

826 posts in this topic

14,156 posts

Does this cherished Ross Andru run from my youth need a club? hm

 

Yes.

176.thumb.jpg.0780cb1721d6bb3903c8eb84a496a129.jpg

177.thumb.jpg.c8ccb101cc0e2b6dbd00d71303885c3c.jpg

178.thumb.jpg.2cb98b840b9e628035c13e7cee0c4f0d.jpg

179.thumb.jpg.a8e1ace0e1d3c7f01e611d54f94143a4.jpg

 

Spoiler

273421159_ASM179Page11.thumb.jpg.63a9a2750cf4862b4b93b5f9a7247a28.jpg

 

180.thumb.jpg.577afce6fcd353813687ffe8e2d9d667.jpg

:cloud9:

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Formerly 'The Amazing Spider-Man 176~180 Club'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
18 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Love all of Ross Andru's Spidey. That inked page from Espo is great also! 

Cheers. Andru's is the definitive Spidey / cast for me :cloud9:

Try and get this book if you can NAC - great read:

2120238518_AECert.thumb.jpg.53b74152c8e0b91a6315387239234481.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,220 posts
8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers. Andru's is the definitive Spidey / cast for me :cloud9:

Try and get this book if you can NAC - great read:

2120238518_AECert.thumb.jpg.53b74152c8e0b91a6315387239234481.jpg

Cool! I always liked the episode of Comic Book Men when they helped Mrs Esposito auction his work. So many great works! Andru has to be the most under-appreciated penciller to ever work at Marvel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

ASM 178 was one of the few comics that my father ever bought for me,  so that's always going to be a special issue for me.

I'm going to get the Ross Andru Artist Edition when I get a $100 to spare.  I once owned a page of original art from issue 145.  Absolutely loved Andru inked by Giacoia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

ASM 178 was one of the few comics that my father ever bought for me,  so that's always going to be a special issue for me.

I'm going to get the Ross Andru Artist Edition when I get a $100 to spare.  I once owned a page of original art from issue 145.  Absolutely loved Andru inked by Giacoia.

+1,000,000 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

Thanks for digging that up.   Hmmm, I only thought the run was average.   Maybe I need to reread it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
31 minutes ago, bababooey said:

There was an old thread on this run but I'll repost my 176 here. :shy:

I love the way the boards show a random picture from the inserted thread :grin:

b.PNG.0795eeca328641ed2f93d9d9ce9bf683.PNG

8 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for digging that up.   Hmmm, I only thought the run was average.   Maybe I need to reread it again. 

It obviously wasn't a masterpiece of story telling by adult standards but it just represents the best of my childhood memories. Great art, great covers, a great story (to an 11 year old anyway) and the last great Andru run before he slipped away. I remember seeing them all hanging up for sale in my local comic shop, not long after I had 'discovered' the US originals and I just thought they looked fantastic :cloud9:

Remember, I had 8,000 Spidey comics. I sold everything but my AF15, ASM 1-17, a few CGC keys and my 30/35 cents run. And these 5. That tells you something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

It's funny I can remember where I was when I bought all of those issues off the stands back in the day.  I missed Issue 176 and had to back order it through the mail, but the rest I got off the stands.

Again, I never understood why fights with the Green Goblin took more than a couple of panels.  Especially as Harry or Bart.  I always ascribed some sort of super-strength to Norman, but these two were weaker than water.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
15 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Again, I never understood why fights with the Green Goblin took more than a couple of panels.

Because he was on on a glider. See also 'skate boards', 'wings' and 'big wheels'.

17 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Especially as Harry or Bart.  

On this we agree. No super villain should ever be called 'Bart'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,605 posts

Memorable for being some of the first ASM issues I bought as imported ND copies, 35c = 35p, (overpriced as it was just 12p distributed at the time) as well as the Stegron and Will O’the Wisp issues.

I always found the battles with Kingpin to be incredibly boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Memorable for being some of the first ASM issues I bought as imported ND copies, 35c = 35p, (overpriced as it was just 12p distributed at the time) as well as the Stegron and Will O’the Wisp issues.

I always found the battles with Kingpin to be incredibly boring.

The wife was a bit stern looking wasn't she. I liked Stegron though. Shed a tear when his little Stegron hand went under the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The wife was a bit stern looking wasn't she. I liked Stegron though. Shed a tear when his little Stegron hand went under the water.

Yes,  he was just trying to bring the dinosaurs back.   Nothing wrong with that.   Movie worthy stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes,  he was just trying to bring the dinosaurs back.   Nothing wrong with that.   Movie worthy stuff. 

Ahead of his time...could've made billions

Image result for stegron spiderman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
3 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I really loved the Nightcrawler in issue 161 & 162.  My first exposure to the new X-Men.  Loved the cover to 161 especially.

Oh yes. Lets face it, ASM ruled between 1 and 185. A perfect era.

Some good stuff since of course, but that's where it all ended for me. 

161.thumb.jpg.4787174c2728d07afe7df6a31f458fe3.jpg 162.thumb.jpg.8802695dacd046c2e3a33505373c470c.jpg

:cloud9:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts

Now, does anyone else want to post their 176-180 run?

We're deviating....

(I like deviating though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6