• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Love all of Ross Andru's Spidey. That inked page from Espo is great also! 

Cheers. Andru's is the definitive Spidey / cast for me :cloud9:

Try and get this book if you can NAC - great read:

2120238518_AECert.thumb.jpg.53b74152c8e0b91a6315387239234481.jpg

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers. Andru's is the definitive Spidey / cast for me :cloud9:

Try and get this book if you can NAC - great read:

2120238518_AECert.thumb.jpg.53b74152c8e0b91a6315387239234481.jpg

Cool! I always liked the episode of Comic Book Men when they helped Mrs Esposito auction his work. So many great works! Andru has to be the most under-appreciated penciller to ever work at Marvel.

ASM 178 was one of the few comics that my father ever bought for me,  so that's always going to be a special issue for me.

I'm going to get the Ross Andru Artist Edition when I get a $100 to spare.  I once owned a page of original art from issue 145.  Absolutely loved Andru inked by Giacoia.

9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

ASM 178 was one of the few comics that my father ever bought for me,  so that's always going to be a special issue for me.

I'm going to get the Ross Andru Artist Edition when I get a $100 to spare.  I once owned a page of original art from issue 145.  Absolutely loved Andru inked by Giacoia.

+1,000,000 

31 minutes ago, bababooey said:

There was an old thread on this run but I'll repost my 176 here. :shy:

I love the way the boards show a random picture from the inserted thread :grin:

b.PNG.0795eeca328641ed2f93d9d9ce9bf683.PNG

8 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for digging that up.   Hmmm, I only thought the run was average.   Maybe I need to reread it again. 

It obviously wasn't a masterpiece of story telling by adult standards but it just represents the best of my childhood memories. Great art, great covers, a great story (to an 11 year old anyway) and the last great Andru run before he slipped away. I remember seeing them all hanging up for sale in my local comic shop, not long after I had 'discovered' the US originals and I just thought they looked fantastic :cloud9:

Remember, I had 8,000 Spidey comics. I sold everything but my AF15, ASM 1-17, a few CGC keys and my 30/35 cents run. And these 5. That tells you something. 

It's funny I can remember where I was when I bought all of those issues off the stands back in the day.  I missed Issue 176 and had to back order it through the mail, but the rest I got off the stands.

Again, I never understood why fights with the Green Goblin took more than a couple of panels.  Especially as Harry or Bart.  I always ascribed some sort of super-strength to Norman, but these two were weaker than water.

15 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Again, I never understood why fights with the Green Goblin took more than a couple of panels.

Because he was on on a glider. See also 'skate boards', 'wings' and 'big wheels'.

17 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Especially as Harry or Bart.  

On this we agree. No super villain should ever be called 'Bart'. 

Memorable for being some of the first ASM issues I bought as imported ND copies, 35c = 35p, (overpriced as it was just 12p distributed at the time) as well as the Stegron and Will O’the Wisp issues.

I always found the battles with Kingpin to be incredibly boring.

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Memorable for being some of the first ASM issues I bought as imported ND copies, 35c = 35p, (overpriced as it was just 12p distributed at the time) as well as the Stegron and Will O’the Wisp issues.

I always found the battles with Kingpin to be incredibly boring.

The wife was a bit stern looking wasn't she. I liked Stegron though. Shed a tear when his little Stegron hand went under the water.

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The wife was a bit stern looking wasn't she. I liked Stegron though. Shed a tear when his little Stegron hand went under the water.

Yes,  he was just trying to bring the dinosaurs back.   Nothing wrong with that.   Movie worthy stuff. 

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes,  he was just trying to bring the dinosaurs back.   Nothing wrong with that.   Movie worthy stuff. 

Ahead of his time...could've made billions

Image result for stegron spiderman

3 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I really loved the Nightcrawler in issue 161 & 162.  My first exposure to the new X-Men.  Loved the cover to 161 especially.

Oh yes. Lets face it, ASM ruled between 1 and 185. A perfect era.

Some good stuff since of course, but that's where it all ended for me. 

161.thumb.jpg.4787174c2728d07afe7df6a31f458fe3.jpg 162.thumb.jpg.8802695dacd046c2e3a33505373c470c.jpg

:cloud9:

Now, does anyone else want to post their 176-180 run?

We're deviating....

(I like deviating though)