• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,701 posts in this topic

My two favorites are the Tram and the Williamsburg Bridge.  The Tram supports are dead on.  He could have done anything but he drew it exactly like the real thing.  On the bridge, the support feet have all the detail of the actual bridge (may not reflect too well in the small photo).  

Just now, seanfingh said:

I haven't posted in this thread, but we have had discussions regarding Ross Andru Spidey going back 10 years.  It was true then and it is true now.  In my minds eye, when I think of Peter, MJ, Spidey, Punisher, the Goblin, Doc Ock, JJJ, Robbie Robertson, Harry, Liz and especially Aunt May, they all look the way that Ross Andru drew them in 1976-1978.  There is no greater compliment I can give to the man and his craft.

What you just said.

x a million 

5 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Cool Thread!  Some great books and artwork.

-here's one: (not the greatest scan; page is whiter on the top. bottom, and edges than scan portrays)

ASM_147_pg_1med.thumb.jpg.782675ee89c9f666763298a308800d7c.jpg

That's a great splash page isn't it, thanks Unc. One of yours? I must have read that comic a hundred times as a kid. Andru always did the best Spidey eyes. And as I've said before, realism just made it all the more - well, real. To me, as a kid, this was happening....

On 10/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, seanfingh said:

I haven't posted in this thread, but we have had discussions regarding Ross Andru Spidey going back 10 years.  It was true then and it is true now.  In my minds eye, when I think of Peter, MJ, Spidey, Punisher, the Goblin, Doc Ock, JJJ, Robbie Robertson, Harry, Liz and especially Aunt May, they all look the way that Ross Andru drew them in 1976-1978.  There is no greater compliment I can give to the man and his craft.

This time frame is way too early for me to actually *remember* first-hand, but I still feel like this is true...

I finally just bought a copy of 151 and can't wait for it to get here so I can open it up!

2 hours ago, Schmakt said:

This time frame is way too early for me to actually *remember* first-hand, but I still feel like this is true...

I finally just bought a copy of 151 and can't wait for it to get here so I can open it up!

You sound like I probably did 30 years or so ago, when I mail ordered both issues 151 and 152.  I loved getting those packages in the mail chocked full of Spidey goodness.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 11/13/2018 at 10:04 AM, Schmakt said:

Is it raw or graded? 

Andru's and Esposito's original cover art to Amazing Spider-Man #185, alas, their last on Amazing Spider-Man.  (Unless I specifically mention it, all the stuff I post, I do not own.  Wish I did) 

Besides the webbing overlay, can any sharp-eyed viewers pick out a change that the published cover contained?  

image.png.08667fcea04c20bb7a0b55f450780417.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

9 minutes ago, minisink warrior said:

Marvel’s TV sensation to the right of Spidey’s head on the published cover 7D63DF92-992D-4BF0-BEC0-AA53846E3056.thumb.jpeg.2feae4aad41568b55dc44f2c840ce1ee.jpeg

New Romita head! xD

3 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

We have a winner!  New Romita Head is correct.  I love Andru, but definitely the right call, IMHO.

image.png.054d699d9e04aeb318e5fea58d360b45.png

Yes,  I agree. The Andru original looks vaguely sinister. Like he's not that happy about the graduation. You can see why they changed it. I always thought the replacement looked too big though. All in all, one of his worst covers. Still good though :)

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes,  I agree. The Andru original looks vaguely sinister. Like he's not that happy about the graduation. You can see why they changed it. I always thought the replacement looked too big though. All in all, one of his worst covers. Still good though :)

Kinda boring overall.  And damn it, I wanted Peter Parker to graduate, not some lame, he missed a PE class that can be made up later story.  Add in the White Dragon and his gang, I'd have to put this issue toward the bottom of the Andru run.  

4 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Kinda boring overall.  And damn it, I wanted Peter Parker to graduate, not some lame, he missed a PE class that can be made up later story.  Add in the White Dragon and his gang, I'd have to put this issue toward the bottom of the Andru run.  

It all ended at 180. The original thread title! 176 to 180. Can't beat em