• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2019 at 10:23 PM, Spider-Variant said:

In my mind, I can see Ross sitting up on this overpass taking a picture to use as reference to Amazing Spider-Man 138.  He put the light poles in exactly the same position as they are in real life.  There must have not been a Jersey barrier down the middle of the road leading to the bridge in 1974 though.  Even the overpass guard rail has the two supports in the same position.  Did any other artist go to these lengths for accuracy?  

image.thumb.png.a98b65b2947a58b7d26e3d26865c4b97.png

There's something quite romantic about it. A love affair with the city. Great stuff S-V. Keep it up :cloud9:

28 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There's something quite romantic about it. A love affair with the city. Great stuff S-V. Keep it up :cloud9:

Thanks for the kind words Get Marwood.  As a kid growing up primarily in the South of the US, I really had no idea about NYC, nor any of the famous sites.  Doing these comparisons really opened my eyes in a new way to how much of NYC Ross put into ever issue of Amazing Spider-Man.  Discovering the exact spot where Ross sat as he photographed his reference for the newest issue of ASM has been incredibly fun.  Almost like an Easter Egg Hunt in a way.  

13 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

image.thumb.png.b7e72f6496bba886ba679b58d1fff933.png

That's a great one. Imagine being a kid, that's your home territory, and you then read your latest Spidey comic and see him swinging about in your town! Brilliant :)

I don't know what year the photo is, but it has to be close to the year Ross did that panel for ASM 161.  Agree Marwood and I, that would be incredibly cool.  I think you could build a pretty good Ross Andru Tour of NYC with all the stuff he put in on his five year run on Amazing Spider-Man. :banana:

8 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I don't know what year the photo is, but it has to be close to the year Ross did that panel for ASM 161.  Agree Marwood and I, that would be incredibly cool.  I think you could build a pretty good Ross Andru Tour of NYC with all the stuff he put in on his five year run on Amazing Spider-Man. :banana:

That's a bus I'd get on :cloud9:

Here's another from the same issue.  A lot has changed on this station, so to do a good comparison, I tracked down a photo from 1979.

Notice Ross even drew the red and white rails that guide the tram into proper position as it is coming back in.  That kiosk (I think that is what it is in the lower left of Ross's panel) is still there based on my other searches.

I do love me some Ross Andru art, but the one thing I didn't think he did a great job on was his cars.  They always seem so nondescript, IMHO.

image.thumb.png.4f27dfec881ce5a05f4e1140aa27931c.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

17 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Here's another from the same issue.  A lot has changed on this station, so to do a good comparison, I tracked down a photo from 1979.

Notice Ross even drew the red and white rails that guide the tram into proper position as it is coming back in.  That kiosk (I think that is what it is in the lower left of Ross's panel) is still there based on my other searches.

I do love me some Ross Andru art, but the one thing I didn't think he did a great job on was his cars.  They always seem so nondescript, IMHO.

image.thumb.png.4f27dfec881ce5a05f4e1140aa27931c.png

Not all of them :grin:

Image result for spider-mobile

On 3/27/2019 at 11:34 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Speaking of buses, this is close to the one Ross drew in ASM 147, driven by the diabolical Jackal.  Sure there is a model out there that is closer, but this was the best example I could find.  Even has the Gordon's Gin advertisement.  

image.thumb.png.6f5cbed0140eb2ff7d1dc9dd16456676.png

Funnily enough, when I bought my ASM #137 page years back the seller was kind enough to include full size photocopies of two other pages including this one:

c.thumb.jpg.1c153a6fda9c39d9f1282af6b0d283d6.jpg

I wish I had made an offer on them too now. Ah well...

b.thumb.jpg.89ba92eda14b1f9829d0e2feb70faa55.jpg  a.thumb.jpg.78e67f1e92b2c7d46ae8fa85ba4b2616.jpg

On 3/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, Spider-Variant said:

great posts in this thread @Spider-Variant   fascinating stuff  (worship)

On 3/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a great one. Imagine being a kid, that's your home territory, and you then read your latest Spidey comic and see him swinging about in your town! Brilliant :)

Exactly. That was the "Marvel-ous" idea started in the SA by Lee/Kirby, to bring superheroes right down to the common kid's own hometown, as opposed to the mythical cities of "Gotham" or "Metropolis".

Heritage Auctions finally posted a scan of this cover for its upcoming auction.  Hmmm, not sure how I feel about the added Stan Lee signature.  If you look really closely in the upper left hand corner, you can see where Ross signed it in pencil.  Awesome cover.

image.png.18ffc19032eb87b9860c9efd4ed9251d.png