• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

great posts in this thread @Spider-Variant   fascinating stuff  (worship)

Thanks so much.  It's given me a whole new perspective on the Amazing Spider-Man comics I grew up.  To find some of these places where Ross actually sat to get a picture for a reference has been incredibly fun.  I've been meaning to start a thread like this for a while, but hats off to Get Marwood and I for starting this one.

53 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Exactly. That was the "Marvel-ous" idea started in the SA by Lee/Kirby, to bring superheroes right down to the common kid's own hometown, as opposed to the mythical cities of "Gotham" or "Metropolis".

Good to know JCJames.  Just amazed at how far Ross Andru went to get all the details down to the level he did.

Here's a few from Amazing Spider-Man 168, with one of my favorite characters that was introduced in the Andru run, Will-O'-The Wisp.  Always thought this guy had potential, but didn't really pan out.  On the Father Duffy statue below, I swear I read somewhere that someone called out Ross for putting hair on it.  I went through a few Letter's Pages but couldn't find it.

image.thumb.png.a0570f0b887b42e5fda437f039ad7d07.png

image.thumb.png.6aa85449466ddf10b5305126d6e928bf.png

image.thumb.png.1f0bd5e97a011849aa0389f592b5c3b2.png

image.thumb.png.14903a2f8ca8120fe8a4f15662085291.png

On 4/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

On the Father Duffy statue below, I swear I read somewhere that someone called out Ross for putting hair on it.  I went through a few Letter's Pages but couldn't find it.

I couldn't find any reference to that anywhere either Reggie. Be cool to see it if true :)

On 3/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Heritage Auctions finally posted a scan of this cover for its upcoming auction.  Hmmm, not sure how I feel about the added Stan Lee signature.  If you look really closely in the upper left hand corner, you can see where Ross signed it in pencil.  Awesome cover.

image.png.18ffc19032eb87b9860c9efd4ed9251d.png

Are you kidding me, that Stan sig is glorious!!! Especially on the little barcode rectangle. It still works IMO since he had a lot to do with the 3 characters on the cover. Yes it's not Norman but still the goblin nonetheless. Signature obviously looks authentic but can heritage verify it? 

6 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Are you kidding me, that Stan sig is glorious!!! Especially on the little barcode rectangle. It still works IMO since he had a lot to do with the 3 characters on the cover. Yes it's not Norman but still the goblin nonetheless. Signature obviously looks authentic but can heritage verify it? 

It's not Norman!  :whatthe:

:grin:

I'm with SV. I'd prefer the signature to be Ross's myself, or blank. Stan's the man, and always will be, but this is a Ross Andru piece of original art. I don't think anyone else has any business signing it, legend or otherwise. 

50 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I agree that Stan signed it in the best place possible.  The Heritage listing also shows a picture of Stan with the original cover art sitting in front of him, so it was definitely signed by Stan.

I guess had Stan wrote the issue, I would be more in favor of him signing it, but my thoughts are more along those of  @Get Marwood & I .  Stan will always be the man, but OA is more about the artists.

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Stan will always be the man, but OA is more about the artists

Yup.

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

What do we think that cover is going to go for?  $50K, will it get this high?

The 179 went for $43K in 2016, and that is arguably the better cover. 3 years is a long time though so who knows....

raa.thumb.PNG.424a29ef6f23aba5deda8cb3f36e1ef2.PNG

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yup.

The 179 went for $43K in 2016, and that is arguably the better cover. 3 years is a long time though so who knows....

raa.thumb.PNG.424a29ef6f23aba5deda8cb3f36e1ef2.PNG

Anything with his sig has increased significantly so I'd guess it'll surpass the 179.

Just curious what would be your views on a Stan signature on these issues in the 170's as opposed to the OA pieces? Assuming they're clean & well placed? Work for you or not?

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Anything with his sig has increased significantly so I'd guess it'll surpass the 179.

Just curious what would be your views on a Stan signature on these issues in the 170's as opposed to the OA pieces? Assuming they're clean & well placed? Work for you or not?

That wouldn't bother me. He can (and did probably) sign thousands of them. There's so many out there it doesn't matter. OA is a one of a kind, personal item so should only be signed by someone who worked on it in my view. Artist,  inker etc.

I'm not a fan of signatures on ultra high grade books either. If a 9.8 AF15 existed, I'd hate to see anyone's signature on it.

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Aha!!!!!!!!  It's?

download (2).jpg

No, it's Hamilton you wally. Hamilton! 

Where you been Maurice? I've been posting nonsense all day 

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Does this cherished Ross Andru run from my youth need a club? hm

Yes.

176.thumb.jpg.0780cb1721d6bb3903c8eb84a496a129.jpg

177.thumb.jpg.c8ccb101cc0e2b6dbd00d71303885c3c.jpg

178.thumb.jpg.2cb98b840b9e628035c13e7cee0c4f0d.jpg

179.thumb.jpg.a8e1ace0e1d3c7f01e611d54f94143a4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

273421159_ASM179Page11.thumb.jpg.63a9a2750cf4862b4b93b5f9a7247a28.jpg

180.thumb.jpg.577afce6fcd353813687ffe8e2d9d667.jpg

:cloud9:

Nice!  The run that got me into Spider-Man as it was published when I was 10.  I still have my copies, although they are sufficiently more well-used than these.  

29 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Nice!  The run that got me into Spider-Man as it was published when I was 10.  I still have my copies, although they are sufficiently more well-used than these.  

Good man Ron! I bet they've been read a time or two :cloud9:

12 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Hey Spider-Variant, have to say your posts are really inspiring. 

Where do you get the images for comparison? Are those just internet searches? Do you search by timeline? So so cool to see those comparisons.

Thanks for the kind words @bronze_rules.  I think the comparisons started when one day I wanted to see how close Ross got the Roosevelt Island Tram to the real thing.  When I noticed how identical the towers that Ross drew were to the real ones, I was pretty amazed.  Then it just kind of snow balled from there.  Most of these comparisons were easy to find using GoogleMaps, but finding the exact location that Ross used began to be a little harder.  The two that blow me away are the power plant from Amazing Spider-Man 152 and the Marine Parkway bridge from ASM 138.  

Some of the other shots have buildings/locations that are still there, but to get a good comparison, I had to start googling old photos.  For example, Nathan's Hot Dogs is still in Coney Island and can be found on GoogleMaps, but I wanted a picture from back in the day for comparison.

I have a few more done, but there are a couple of locations that I know are places from real life that Ross didn't give a location to.  Trying to track those down has been a guilty, albeit frustrating, pleasure, as I am not even sure if they still exists.

Edited by Spider-Variant

I remember this one confusing me as a kid.  Rocket Racer goes through the east side of the Manhattan Municipal building to elude our favorite wall crawler.

image.thumb.png.fe35632a546cecf27431278cc19ca463.png

Spider-Man spins a web to trap him in there, but unfortunately for Spidey, a truck enters from the west side of the building.

image.thumb.png.42e79402dae3801a322263dfa28e750e.png

The truck smashes through the webbing and allows RR to escape Spider-Man's attempted trap.

image.thumb.png.d5fb674ae8afa7308fd05b912f669594.png

I think my confusion back in the day was not knowing which direction Spidey webbed the tunnel from, and it seemed to me that the truck was going through the same entrance as the Rocket Racer did.  But now, 41 years later, I know what the deal was.

image.png.28f260357a151b939387cb85ee8259e8.png

But this sequence does lead me to ask, when did Marvel stop paying Tony Mortellaro and Dave Hunt to ink backgrounds?  Because for the most part, the backgrounds don't appear to be as sharp as some of the earlier issues from Ross's ASM run in which Dave Hunt inked backgrounds.