• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,701 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2019 at 12:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

In an interview with Back Issue, writer Gerry Conway said this of Andru's abilities:

"Ross Andru could place a character anywhere he wanted. He had a terrific sense of spatial relations; he could track a battle easily across rooftops, from panel to panel. He drew some great sequences where he maintained the same stationary background, a rooftop or a street, across an entire page, but move the characters from panel to panel. I know there are artists today who do that, but many of today's artists are figure-oriented. Space and context doesn't seem as important to them, whereas it was extremely important to Ross. He used to go around New York City taking pictures of the buildings so he could be accurate about where he put Spider-Man."

Conway described Andru’s skill in drawing Peter Parker’s life in an interview with Tom DeFalco for Comics Creators on Spider-Man:

"I started off writing fairly detailed plots for Ross, but stopped that as we continued to work together. Ross was such a good storyteller. We seemed to develop some kind of telepathy. When we talked over a story, I’d start out describing a scene, and he’d be finishing my sentences. He understood both the visual dynamic of Spider-Man, and the personal pathos of Peter Parker. He was able to break down a story wit the proper proportion of action to character."

"I was living in Manhattan at the time, and Ross used to come to my apartment to take reference pictures from my roof. Ross would take these wonderful vertigo shots. He photographed every scene that showed Spider-Man web-swinging over some fantastic canyon in the city. Ross rarely used newspaper clippings of photo reference books. He took his own photos because he wanted specific angles in order to show some really neat special effect."

Len Wein recalled Ross’s determination:

"Ross had an amazing sense of design and story, and he was a stickler for accuracy. Amazing #151, my first issues, starred the Shocker, and the climax takes place on a power station that was located on a small island in the middle of the East River. Ross had his wife drop him off in the middle of the 59th street bridge, and stood there with a camera and a sketch pad for like an hour and a half, until he got all the reference on that power station just right."

"I would set my Spider-Man stories around famous objects in New York because I knew Ross would get them right. One of my favorite battles was a Green Goblin story that had a big aerial fight inside Radio City Music Hall. Ross spent an afternoon there, taking photos and sketching."

"I made New York a character in the book because I knew I had an artist who was capable of doing it justice. Ross gave you the real New York. We did stories that featured the ice rink at Rockefeller Center, the Roosevelt Island Tramway, and once had a climax take place in Times Square with all those Neon lights. I opened one issue with Spider-Man sitting on the wall of St Patrick’s Cathedral."

This is great.

Great stuff with all the pics as well.

10 hours ago, Park said:

This is great.

Great stuff with all the pics as well.

Thanks @Park.  I consolidated that information I found around the web because it really highlighted Andru's work on the run and how much his co-workers respected his effort.

How about some Ross Andru trivia on a Friday?

Question:  Ross once made which famous actor jealous by going on a date with the woman who was also seeing the famous actor at the time?  Who knew Mr. Andru was the man with the ladies back in the day.

14 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Question:  Ross once made which famous actor jealous by going on a date with the woman who was also seeing the famous actor at the time?  Who knew Mr. Andru was the man with the ladies back in the day.

Who!?

7 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, but odd mine doesn't have the letters in name that runs across the building like your picutre.

I knew I was on to something :bigsmile:

6 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Let's see if anyone has any guesses.  

:pullhair: Hurry up!

23 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

"STELLA! I coulda been a contender?" 

43 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

We have a winner.  

According to Mike Esposito, "Marlon Brando was in New York doing the play A Streetcar Named Desire. This was before he made it into a movie. He was a big wheel in the city, riding his motorcycle down the streets. Ross knew a girl named Valerie. He’d met Valerie through Burne Hogarth, who’d arranged a date between the pair of them. So they were dating.

It turned out that she was also dating Brando. Valerie belonged to a small group of people who were into show business and fed off each others personalities. Valerie knew this guy and that guy, Burne Hogarth knew this guy and that guy and so on. Brando was in another apartment next door to Valerie and Ross."

You can read the rest of the story at the link below and 

It doesn't end well for Ross

Wow that's really obscure information there about Ross! Really interesting! I didn't know anything of his personal life other than place of birth where he died & his Russian Polish heritage. 

He & Esposito were so close I always suspected they themselves were dating each other lol

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Wow that's really obscure information there about Ross! Really interesting! I didn't know anything of his personal life other than place of birth where he died & his Russian Polish heritage. 

He & Esposito were so close I always suspected they themselves were dating each other lol

Yes, I've been doing a little research here and there.  From all I've read about Ross, he was a very humble guy, so this story comes as a complete surprise to me, as he never struck me as a lady's man.  

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I've been doing a little research here and there.  From all I've read about Ross, he was a very humble guy, so this story comes as a complete surprise to me, as he never struck me as a lady's man.  

It's always the quiet ones you have to watch...