• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I think I see this bridge in lots of movies🤔🤔‼️

Hmmm, hadn't noticed this bridge in any movie per se.  I think Ross did it adequate justice, well at least adequate enough for me to identify it.  I complained earlier about Ross's abilities to draw cars, but that's not a bad looking Taxi.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, FoggyNelson said:
On 4/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Andru used a lot of bridges on his run on Amazing Spider-Man.  Here's another, but I couldn't find a picture from 1974 for a good comparison.

image.thumb.png.7aafcb4f242a2e8e0db998aec4597de0.png

I think I see this bridge in lots of movies🤔🤔‼️

I watch Kojak all the time & they filmed in lower Manhattan. They showed the Brooklyn bridge but I'm pretty sure they showed the Manhattan bridge too since it connects lower Manhattan to Brooklyn where they did a bunch of scenes. It would be difficult to avoid since they filmed outside all the time. Especially those car chase scenes. Love that show!

Who loves ya baby!

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

I watch Kojak all the time & they filmed in lower Manhattan. They showed the Brooklyn bridge but I'm pretty sure they showed the Manhattan bridge too since it connects lower Manhattan to Brooklyn where they did a bunch of scenes. It would be difficult to avoid since they filmed outside all the time. Especially those car chase scenes. Love that show!

Who loves ya baby!

Good into @MGsimba77.  I never really watched Kojak as a kid, maybe a little before my time.  I do remember the Who loves ya baby!

I found ASM 138 almost as a Ross Andru's homecoming issue.  Ross lived in Arverne, NY which was just across the way from Rockaway, where ASM 138 was set.

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

fabuleux 
---------------Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrialianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZuluEnglish

N'est ce pas!

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Yeah man who could forget that first Kojak with young Harvey Keitel!! It was called "siege of terror". Good stuff! I never saw a bad Kojak episode and I love that intro :headbang: ...Crockaaaa:roflmao:xD 

If there was one old TV star I wish they could of somehow worked into a Spidey issue it definitely was Kojak! Maybe with Kingpin or Jigsaw maybe Prowler? The artwork would been killer! I'd of been all over that!!!

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Nice comic book adaption of the Chrysler building👏👏👍

Hmmm, I thought Andru was a little out of proportion on the Chrysler Building.  Here is another view, via 3-D model.  I guess not as bad as I thought originally, but the main vertical section still looks a little thin to me.

image.thumb.png.3ba06dd5318611b7aee56f9424bb3a2b.png

2 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Federal Hall I thought was Wall St building 😃😃🤔

Hmmm, I have to confess a little ignorance on this one.  Didn't know much about Federal Hall and surely didn't even know it was a real building when I first read Amazing Spider-Man 141.  That was probably in 1976 or 1977, as ASM 141 was an issue I picked up through the mail.  (Gosh, I still remember the anticipation of waiting for those packages of comics like it was yesterday.)

The thing I find a little odd about this one is where Ross puts the George Washington statue.  In ever photo I checked (since the one I posted was probably recent and Ross drew that panel in late 1974), the statue is all the way back on the base, but Ross centered it.  I find this odd, knowing the accuracy he put into most of his other depictions of real NY locations.

Here is a picture of the Federal Hall from 1920.  

Wallstreetbmb.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Heritage Auctions finally posted a scan of this cover for its upcoming auction.  Hmmm, not sure how I feel about the added Stan Lee signature.  If you look really closely in the upper left hand corner, you can see where Ross signed it in pencil.  Awesome cover.

image.png.18ffc19032eb87b9860c9efd4ed9251d.png

This cover only went for $31K, thought it would have brought more.

15 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:
On 3/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

image.png.18ffc19032eb87b9860c9efd4ed9251d.png

This cover only went for $31K, thought it would have brought more

I'm not too surprised. Maybe the Stan signature put some off, as we speculated earlier in the thread. It's my least favourite cover of the Goblin arc. Maybe that's why it went for less than others. Still, $31k would buy you a lovely new car so it's still an impressive feat for something that, back in the day, they may have given you for nothing had you been visiting the Marvel offices. 

On 5/15/2019 at 3:56 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Dr. Octopus, you're a dirty, dirty man.

image.thumb.png.93b82751d38e43539af8a8ceed7c56ca.png

He scrubbed up nicely though didn't he, after a good wash.

Preposterous storyline, looking back. But I loved it as a kid. And I can remember to this day how sorry I felt for Ock when he asked for some chicken. Must've been starving. Simple stuff really. Even criminal masterminds have to eat at some point.

Screen-shot-2011-07-20-at-10_47.35-PM.png.c4df3a1cf8a14c5bf83ca9cc49982a3c.png 

2 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

L o l they could make Col Sanders into a hero or villain 😃😃😁😁

They did Fog. Don't be fooled by the hair dye and cover name...

2108351942_2019-05-1817_35_17.jpg.cc0e294b8cc271792308675a907e0502.jpg