• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, tv horror said:

I see that there is a page up for auction in three days time featuring Ross's art.

lf.jpg.3e31b1f1880475325918392e81962ea2.jpg

Only at $950 with 3 days to go. The Spidey-less pages do tend to fetch less, but it's a great page I think

950.thumb.PNG.200269bd36d08334a23330d0798edb35.PNG

I always liked the 'next issue' "Arm-in-arm-in-arm-in-arm-in-arm-in-arm with Doctor Octopus" blurb too. Wouldn't mind owning that :cloud9:

On 1/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, Spider-Variant said:

As a child growing up, I used to collect Marvel Tales which reprinted the earlier Amazing Spider-Man stories.  I found it be to be a inexpensive way to enjoy the earlier stories that were too costly to pick up as an eleven year old.  Several years later when I owned both the original and the reprint, I noticed that the Marvel Tales issues had been slightly modified.  Mostly just a few panels were deleted to save room for another ad page (yuck).  Sometimes though there were slight changes to the art and even worse, sometimes the wording to the story was changed to make it more up to date (a latter reprinting of ASM Annual 1 comes to mind).  But the example below is by far is the worst I remember, as it alters the entire story.

The derelict, as many who read ASM during the Andru era may recall, is Doctor Octopus.  He's down on his luck because the ghost of Hammerhead is after him.  He trips his unwitting victim in ASM #154 (Drawn by Sal Buscema, Ross must have needed a break) obviously using his tentacles.  But look what happens though in the Marvel Tales #131 reprint.  

Taut wire, yeah, someone got their taut wires crossed, and it wasn't Dr. Octopus.

ASM #154

image.thumb.png.2efd7063323baf6b6872817bac0f3bc0.png

Marvel Tales #131

image.thumb.png.58d326832b3bdc174fbceb22a3b53e30.png

He was homeless.  

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

'omeless, but not 'armless :)

Too funny my friend.

Now, back to business.  Mr. Andru made a mistake on that Dr. Ock original art page posted above.  Which eagle-eye Spidey fan can find it?  I found it while looking at the large version offered over at Heritage Auctions website.

Edited by Spider-Variant

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Too funny my friend.

Now, back to business.  Mr. Andru made a mistake on that Dr. Ock original art page posted above.  Which eagle-eye Spidey fan can find it?  I found it while looking at the large version offered over at Heritage Auctions website.

No shadow for the extra arms? (shrug)

5 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:
18 hours ago, bababooey said:

No, something a little more obvious.  

Is it the fact that May can't keep her flowers in the same hand whilst opening the door? If not I give up. 

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it the fact that May can't keep her flowers in the same hand whilst opening the door? If not I give up. 

Knowing nothing about the issue, is it she's wearing a wedding ring?

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Here's one for a Friday.  

image.thumb.png.5cfbdf8288dff85aaea17711b4677d38.png

Spidey looks a little bit pregnant there doesn't he hm

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
26 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You leave May's ring alone Mark. 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol No worries, but it doesn't appear in the upper right panel that I can see :shy: 

Flowers, rings.... Which will it be Mark? hm

It could be that Otto is having to crouch down in order to fit into the last panel? He could have a bad back though, with all that rough sleeping. Or he might have pooped himself. 

Reggie - get on with it! @Spider-Variant

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Flowers, rings.... Which will it be Mark? hm

It could be that Otto is having to crouch down in order to fit into the last panel? He could have a bad back though, with all that rough sleeping. Or he might have pooped himself. 

Reggie - get on with it! @Spider-Variant

Well, those are all interesting theories, especially the pooping himself, but I was going for a little more mundane.

The mysteriously appearing ring on May's left hand.  In panel 4 there is no ring and mere second later in the last panel, there it is.

Now I feel like I should make up something more grand....

image.thumb.png.2779364bc652dca47c5a802ab678f663.png

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No worries, but it doesn't appear in the upper right panel that I can see :shy: 

If that is what you meant, then you sir, are correct.

Yes. I called it a wedding ring in my first post....

I win the no prize? Yay ME! 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:tink: