• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Not Andru, but a very awesome cover from ASM 151.  Original sketch by Kane.

Anyone else find it amazing how much Kane's final pencils matched his prelims. 

image.thumb.png.148e53c4ab238f2771fd5ebcf459bab0.png

I love the way he drew the water splashing then rolling off his rear shoulders. The way water reacts to objects is not easy to capture on a sketch board. Can you imagine having to ink the intricate details of all that water splashing?! The differences in color depth of the water the shadowing etc etc. It's a hell of a challenge! I know Romita drew the cover & inked the interior art but did he ink the cover too?

15 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Kane & Andru died way too young! Kane in 2000 & Andru in '93 I think. I would have paid more for any of their witnessed cgc signatures than Stan and I love Stan too!

Agree with this so much.  I met John Romita at the NY Comicon and got him to do a head stretch in his art book.  I was so in awe and his wife could even see I was moved.  But, I probably would have been in tears had it been Ross.  To finally meet the man who had brought so many of my favorite childhood memories to life would have been a dream.  Ross, unfortunately, did die in 1993, one year after his wife had passed as well.  He was only 66.  Way too young.

22 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I love the way he drew the water splashing then rolling off his rear shoulders. The way water reacts to objects is not easy to capture on a sketch board. Can you imagine having to ink the intricate details of all that water splashing?! The differences in color depth of the water the shadowing etc etc. It's a hell of a challenge! I know Romita drew the cover & inked the interior art but did he ink the cover too?

Here's what Heritage says about it "Most sources list the art as by John Romita, Senior. However, this original art is signed at the bottom by both Gil Kane and Romita Sr. Furthermore, on the backside, in Romita Sr.'s own handwriting it reads "Gil Kane + John Romita" and is signed by JRSR again. Given the overall "Romita-ness" of it, our best guess is that Gil Kane supplied the breakdown and Romita provided the finished art."

lf?set=path%5B1%2F3%2F8%2F0%2F0%2F13800542%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 5/30/2019 at 6:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I had posted this one before, but the picture I used had me scratching my head as to whether I had gotten the right place or not.  But, finding this 1958 photo on the Greenpoint Incinerator, I am certain this is the same place Ross used in his depictions from ASM 151 and ASM 180.  The plant was obviously added upon over the 17 years or so between this photo and Ross's art though.

image.thumb.png.d6dd9a6e3d3cb7f4cf17a032e36244ed.png

Nice representation of the original🥰🥰🥰👏👏👏

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Nice representation of the original🥰🥰🥰👏👏👏

I wish I had a picture of this place from 1975, would have been a spot on match.

Again, though compare the plant from Issue 151 to Issue 180.  The detail took a marked decline.  The only thing i can contribute this to is possibly that Dave Hunt was adding the background inks in Issue 151 along with Romita's inks over Andru's pencils on the major characters.  Esposito must have done the inks on everything on issue 180.  It's like night and day to me.

image.thumb.png.e5856dd48616ae55aa18c67e6a1ec8a8.png

On 6/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I know this is terribly off topic, but I laugh at stuff like this.

Mike Esposito (on left) and Ross Andru (on right) comic appearance in Sea Devils 13 (Sept-Oct. 1963).

image.png.fa09d6fd7aa49990a9a2458cd31723d2.png

Speaking of Esposito and Andru.

Here is an awesome High School pic from 1944 with Mike on the left and Ross on the right.  Both only 17 years old.

Man, I really love this pic.  Goofing around, but still dapper as hell.  Wonder if suits were the normal attire for school or if maybe it was just for picture day?

image.png.4e5658a245527c05120c8ac7d9bd65c3.png

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Speaking of Esposito and Andru.

Here is an awesome High School pic from 1944 with Mike on the left and Ross on the right.  Both only 17 years old.

Man, I really love this pic.  Goofing around, but still dapper as hell.  Wonder if suits were the normal attire for school or if maybe it was just for picture day?

image.png.4e5658a245527c05120c8ac7d9bd65c3.png

Mike looks like Cliff Richard. Great picture 

Ok, I haven't posted a new one of these in a while.

One of my most nostalgic issues, ASM 145, features Spider-Man and the Scorpion battling in a Cement Processing Plant.  I never understood this choice of a battlefield, but it's the one Ross chose, so it's good enough for me.

I don't think the two plants I show are the one he used as reference, but the Gowanus Canal one is very close.  The other is a location in the Bronx that was converted from a plant into a park, which is very cool, IMHO.  The problem in trying to find Ross's inspiration for this issue is that the place in the story is never identified and it's not famous either, so not a lot of pictures from 1975 to compare his art to.

Based on the equipment in these two plants, I am certain Ross used a real location to model his art.

image.thumb.png.bd9e69c82d8eb0aec4af84957a59d525.png

image.thumb.png.d1739c8a7d164725205beee495fcc1c6.png

image.thumb.png.5d10a176464d01a6a31ba3e4e524c943.png