• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The Age of Unstinting Accuracy :cloud9:

I was not familiar with the word "unstinting", but doesn't it really fit when describing Ross's drive to get it perfect.  This thread has really brought a whole new level of appreciation for the man and his work.  

10 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I was not familiar with the word "unstinting", but doesn't it really fit when describing Ross's drive to get it perfect.  This thread has really brought a whole new level of appreciation for the man and his work.  

Yes, in no small part down to your efforts Reggie. Keep it up my friend, keep it up.

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, in no small part down to your efforts Reggie. Keep it up my friend, keep it up.

Thanks so much Steve.  I should have written that "This thread has really brought a whole new level of appreciation for the man and his work to me."  

I do hope others have enjoyed comparing the real world to Ross's depictions as much as I have had finding them.  I wonder if there is another comic that has this level of detail to the actual place depicted.  I'm guessing not. 

I would love to ask Ross why he went to these lengths of accuracy?  Was it some inner passion or did he think he had to go the extra mile to prove himself?  I mean he was only following Gil Kane and John Romita on the Amazing Spider-Man book, lol.  I wish the Partners for Life book were written by Mike and Ross, instead of Mike and Dan Best (no offense to Dan, sure it is a lovely book).  

10 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I would love to ask Ross why he went to these lengths of accuracy?  Was it some inner passion or did he think he had to go the extra mile to prove himself?  I mean he was only following Gil Kane and John Romita on the Amazing Spider-Man book, lol.

We'll never know Reg, unless his dairies turn up or we can catch him in the next life. If there is one of course :wishluck:

My guess is that he just had standards. He was just a straightforward 'I want this to be as it should be' type of guy, rather than the type to settle for making the scenery up. He probably got paid a pittance for his efforts too, by today's standards, making it all the more admirable. There's not many of those types about nowadays I find, people who take pride in what they do. 

I wanted to finish up issue 164 but I didn't identify everything I wanted to.  But I feel the below represents the effort Ross put into getting it right.

As my comparisons reveal, Spidey swings across the Williamsburg bridge, into the shipyard.  The first panel below shows Spidey swinging across Drydock 6 and over Building 293.  The next few show him trying to make it across the railing atop Building 293, while the Kingpin and his son walk along side the building on the ground.

Then I get lost the shipyard after that, but Ross does draw some detailed cranes.  The photos I grabbed off the internet are not the same cranes, I do not believe, but close enough to show off Ross's work.

There is a few panels that I simple cannot find, namely because the buildings are most likely not standing.  I did enjoy the challenge of piecing this together, and maybe will find the few remaining one day.

image.thumb.png.8a1e38fc9784a2edc93fd4dd24b69024.png

image.thumb.png.c3d5723f2d79b4e38b55d568580cf516.png

image.thumb.png.9dd2dae872e27bfc9409c1b6eb16ef01.png

image.thumb.png.929778a8443c64b815c5f060008c0db3.png

image.thumb.png.771f80ce55e735aa50e3ab943fbb1a78.png

image.thumb.png.e0222c85c143305a0a7d4a378f95a327.png

(For those counting, I'm at about 50 real life references that I have been able to identify from Ross's ASM run.  I know there are a few more though.)

Edited by Spider-Variant

9 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks guys so much for the kind words.  I'm dedicating today's post to my mother, who passed away last night unexpectedly at the age of 79.  Although she didn't know much about my comic collecting, she always supported my hobby.  She made sure while I started my Navy career that my collection remained intact and complete.  I still remember the day I loaded that collection into my 1987 Trans Am and drove it from TN to CT.  She must have been thrilled to be rid of it, lol.

Here's to you Mom.  I miss you.

:foryou:

Very sorry to hear about your Mom's unexpected passing Reggie.  May she rest in peace.

Thanks for your outstanding efforts on this thread, which is one of the best on the forum.  And thanks to the rest of you too--whenever anything new pops up here it's always a "must read".  (thumbsu

i too enjoy this thread very much , it is one of the best and a must read thread on the boards

i am sorry about your mother

On 8/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks guys so much for the kind words.  I'm dedicating today's post to my mother, who passed away last night unexpectedly at the age of 79.  Although she didn't know much about my comic collecting, she always supported my hobby.  She made sure while I started my Navy career that my collection remained intact and complete.  I still remember the day I loaded that collection into my 1987 Trans Am and drove it from TN to CT.  She must have been thrilled to be rid of it, lol.

Here's to you Mom.  I miss you.

i am sorry you lost your Mom at 79 , i realize now that 79 is still young

5 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Amazing Spider-man was such a big part of my youth, that to explore it again from an entirely different angle has been a joy.

Ditto that :)

On 1/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Anyone ever wish they could just chill like Spider-Man at 3:54 am on a Monday morning?

Another great Andru cityscape from Giant Size Spider-Man #3!

image.png.c8aee7499c863c0fb745861d3f742da6.png

GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #3 COMIC BOOK PAGE ORIGINAL ART BY ROSS ANDRU. Comic ArtI really like the story flow Ross uses on this page.   Maybe I don't look at enough Giant Size Spider-Man pages, but they always seemed a little rushed (mostly on the inker side) to me.  I saw this on CAF the other day and thought it would be a good companion to the splash I posted earlier.  

6 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #3 COMIC BOOK PAGE ORIGINAL ART BY ROSS ANDRU. Comic Art

I really like the story flow Ross uses on this page.   Maybe I don't look at enough Giant Size Spider-Man pages, but they always seemed a little rushed (mostly on the inker side) to me.  I saw this on CAF the other day and thought it would be a good companion to the splash I posted earlier.  

Must admit, as a young kid I was always a bit bamboozled when Ross's art fell off a cliff in some of the non-ASM titles.  I saw his name, and couldn't work out why it was so (comparatively) bad. Ah, the inexperience of youth....