• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Mr. Andru worked on Amazing Spider-Man from Issue 125 through 185 over a span of 61 issues.  During that period there were 5 issues that other artists drew (132 - Romita, 150 - Kane, 154, 155, 181 - S. Buscema) meaning Ross pencilled 56 issues during this run.

In this 56 issues, Ross produced 988 pages of art, or about 17.5 pages per issue.  Of those 988 pages, I have scans of 315 pages for a 31.9% verification rate.

Nearly a thousand pages of Andru goodness - Amazing.

I'm satisfied with my 0.2% of them :cloud9:

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nearly a thousand pages of Andru goodness - Amazing.

I'm satisfied with my 0.2% of them :cloud9:

As I have said before, I had to sell my Amazing Fantasy 15 (VG+) and my Ross Andru original ASM page.  Of the two, I rue the latter more, although I miss them both.

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

As I have said before, I had to sell my Amazing Fantasy 15 (VG+) and my Ross Andru original ASM page.  Of the two, I rue the latter more, although I miss them both.

Yep. There's not a collector alive who doesn't regret letting something go. Part of the hobby. Part of life. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep. There's not a collector alive who doesn't regret letting something go*. Part of the hobby. Part of life. 

*No carpet bombing jokes, Mike @lizards2

How about another comparison.

This is one that wasn't an exact match IMHO, but close enough that I knew what Ross was drawing.  I remember buying this issue off the stands and seeing the splash for ASM 179, with all the green, and thought the background was a body of water.  I think it is actually trees and grass from Central Park in NYC.

The building is Hampshire House and is unique in appearance with the two appendages (not sure what they are, so hesitate to give them a name other than that.)

If you look at the original splash from the comic, the colorist made the partially visible appendage green, while the other was completely covered with lettering.  When they used the splash for the cover of ASM 797, they removed all dialogue and the appendages are fully visible.  Kudos for Marvel for using this splash and getting it correct.

image.thumb.png.f80f65d0522d8abbcf7562755ae94a58.png

image.thumb.png.579f7b2cc3c05e36b86969e1af4194ef.png

Here's another one I found the other day, not terrible exciting though.

Here, Spidey ponders his relationship with the newly returned Betty Leeds (nee Brant).  Issues 184 and 185 were mostly centered in Chinatown, as the White Dragon was the principal villain.

Ross also put the On Leong Tong Building in ASM 171 as Ross and Liz stroll through Chinatown in NYC.

image.thumb.png.cf66dd9edc0be8d3763bdcb88447d209.png

Here's another Ross Andru real-life reference from ASM 158 and 159.  ASM 158 was another one of the earlier issues I remember buying off the stand, so it holds a fond spot in my heart.  The story is a little cheesy but as a 10 year old, I ate it up.  Over the previous few issues, Doc Ock has been haunted by the ghost of Hammerhead, who was ghostified (lol) by the explosion of the nuclear reactor on the island Aunt May inherited back in ASM 131.  For some odd reason, Doc Ock thought if he unghosted Hammerhead with more nuclear stuff, perhaps he could get rid of him.  The atomic power came from the atomic research laboratory in Long Island named Brookhaven National Laboratory in issues 158 and 159

I couldn't find the actual buildings Ross drew, as I think he free lanced them.  I wouldn't think there would be a lot of photos lying around for reference of this facility back in the 1970s.  His aerial shot from issue 158 though does capture the The Alternating Gradient Synchrotron with Ross depicting the shape of the building on the right pretty accurately.

image.thumb.png.a8ddfc941dcad3a20b65c230e786cce8.png

And as if on cue, I find this original art page lurking on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Spider-Variant
More good stuff.

9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

And as if on cue, I find this original art page lurking on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

It's funny what you remember, what sticks with you isn't it - "BRADABABOOM!"

A momentary flashback to my youth there :cloud9:

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's funny what you remember, what sticks with you isn't it - "BRADABABOOM!"

A momentary flashback to my youth there :cloud9:

I always remember Hammerhead's goon clamoring that he didn't want to get "shafted", such a 70s thing to say.

Here's one that I didn't even realize what Ross drew until I was doing the research on the JFK airport for issues 143 and 144.  

From the ASM 147 splash page, a weary Spider-Man returns home from Florida where he had fought the Lizard and the Man-Thing in Giant-Size Spider-Man #5.  He catches a helicopter ride from JFK airport back to the city.  

I feel Ross got his proportions on the buildings a little off.  The round building in the upper left is the Pan Am World Port (featured in ASM 143).  Compared to my real life reference, Ross panel is similar in size.  But the Air Traffic Control Tower (across from the Arrivals building) is massive compared to my real life reference. The perspectives are different, so that definitely plays a factor, but it still seems too big to me.  But that's just me being picky.  Ross didn't have to give us the real JFK, but he did.

image.thumb.png.8a7f18ef7bf4535321aba120ab1a23f3.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Can't even remember if I had posted this one before, but I had so much fun recreating the panel, I decided to post it anyway.  The Paramount Building was depicted in ASM 146 as well.

image.png.af0447ab0b569a232247bd0a3452f5e6.png

That's Pretty sweet, the patience to draw all those windows lol .......

They don't make buildings like that anymore, in Dallas either, it's all...... just different....