• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

You sir, are correct. 

Electric Company Magazine 40

Splash page, apparently. And he's got Spidey Andru eyes.

Sounds like the song :grin:

54 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Splash page, apparently. And he's got Spidey Andru eyes.

Sounds like the song :grin:

Well, let's make one, lol

"So if you're down on your luck
I know you all sympathize
Find a Spider-Man with Ross Andru eyes
And if you're downright disgusted
And life ain't worth a dime
Get a Spider-Man with Ross Andru eyes"

Sung of course to Far Away Eyes by the Rolling Stones

Edited by Spider-Variant

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Well, let's make one, lol

"So if you're down on your luck
I know you all sympathize
Find a Spider-Man with Ross Andru eyes
And if you're downright disgusted
And life ain't worth a dime
Get a Spider-Man with Ross Andru eyes"

Song of course to Far Away Eyes by the Rolling Stones

I was thinking more Kim Carnes, Reggie  :grin:

How about a little more real life Ross Andru references for a non-productive Friday?

Here, from ASM 161, as Pete and MJ double-date with Harry Osborn and Liz Allan at Coney Island.

There were many different roller coasters at Coney Island through the years, but Ross chose to draw the Tornado. ASM 161 had a cover date of Oct. 1976, meaning it was on the stands in July 1976, but seems like it was in August to me, as I had moved from Hawaii to Georgia during that time, and my ten year mind seems to remember being in Hawaii for the Fourth and ASM 161 was the first comic I ever bought in Georgia.  I only bring any of this up because the Tornado caught fire (actually it was arson) in 1977.  So Ross just got it in before it was gone.

I don't have dates for the two photos to understand any changes that may have occurred when Ross drew it.

The exit seems to match pretty well.  Love Ross's MJ here.  I just loved this whole issue.  The cover, the X-Men cameo, Night Crawler, the tram, Punisher, all of it.  

image.thumb.png.9b21c19fe9351ef39bc8fb03352bef71.png

image.thumb.png.d06898883f8008c40a9655319de10d57.png

A couple of snippets from some old 1970's UK fanzines I've been reading - I was hoping to find a review or something - will keep looking

ra.thumb.PNG.6d9e927323684b4841140ed68b4e93fc.PNG

ra2.PNG.0c2efd49582442b16f78e1c5f4d2add3.PNG

ra3.PNG.0e4895725a785d739049b63e496ebb73.PNG

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A couple of snippets from some old 1970's UK fanzines I've been reading - I was hoping to find a review or something - will keep looking

ra.thumb.PNG.6d9e927323684b4841140ed68b4e93fc.PNG

ra2.PNG.0c2efd49582442b16f78e1c5f4d2add3.PNG

ra3.PNG.0e4895725a785d739049b63e496ebb73.PNG

Great find.  Not sure the plan was to have Mooney as the long term inker on ASM though.  I did like his inks over Andru's pencils though.

11 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Great find.  Not sure the plan was to have Mooney as the long term inker on ASM though. 

Indeed. I've been comparing the content to my UKPV research and it's quite interesting to see the joins. It's a little melancholy as an exercise though, as back in the day there were clearly so many more people involved in comic discussions and such. I'd like to go back to those days and play a more active role at a time when it all mattered. Let's face it, who really cares about this stuff nowadays...? 

18 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

How about a little more real life Ross Andru references for a non-productive Friday?

Here, from ASM 161, as Pete and MJ double-date with Harry Osborn and Liz Allan at Coney Island.

There were many different roller coasters at Coney Island through the years, but Ross chose to draw the Tornado. ASM 161 had a cover date of Oct. 1976, meaning it was on the stands in July 1976, but seems like it was in August to me, as I had moved from Hawaii to Georgia during that time, and my ten year mind seems to remember being in Hawaii for the Fourth and ASM 161 was the first comic I ever bought in Georgia.  I only bring any of this up because the Tornado caught fire (actually it was arson) in 1977.  So Ross just got it in before it was gone.

I don't have dates for the two photos to understand any changes that may have occurred when Ross drew it.

The exit seems to match pretty well.  Love Ross's MJ here.  I just loved this whole issue.  The cover, the X-Men cameo, Night Crawler, the tram, Punisher, all of it.  

image.thumb.png.9b21c19fe9351ef39bc8fb03352bef71.png

image.thumb.png.d06898883f8008c40a9655319de10d57.png

This is a great catch,

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. I've been comparing the content to my UKPV research and it's quite interesting to see the joins. It's a little melancholy as an exercise though, as back in the day there were clearly so many more people involved in comic discussions and such. I'd like to go back to those days and play a more active role at a time when it all mattered. Let's face it, who really cares about this stuff 

Not many my friend.  Why I enjoy this thread so much.  People who love to talk comics.  

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:eek:

Capture.PNG.8845e97f16f985aa395033eb8adcb966.PNG

Captureb.PNG.dc491fee9eda498d7f2f040c0c170196.PNG

Capturec.PNG.abe0d913e4c4583a369ebda58cbae7ea.PNG

Captured.PNG.7c1c018a95fbb287baa5dab773500c1b.PNG

These are Great my friend!  I wonder what I would have written.  ASM 148 was one of my first issues I remember reading, so it will always have a place in my heart.  But whomever did the review above, apparently hated it.  Hmmmm, my nine year old brain would have given it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.  

What's not to love about issue 151 either.  Ross Andru inked by Romita, not a bad combination.  Plus MJ and the Shocker.

It's so neat to visit this from back in the day.  

Great work Steve.

7 hours ago, piper said:

Conway is being unfairly attacked. I actually quite enjoyed a lot of the stories in his short stint on ASM.

Me too. 

7 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

It's so neat to visit this from back in the day

I'll see if I can find anymore - a positive one would be nice! 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Two more...

178.PNG.38ba447961d2784124e37bbb4ea339fc.PNG

Ridiculous Green Goblin in #178!?

Alert the Tribal Elders!

Capture.PNG.ce0dea3c5a3a549791294b73c0389325.PNG

....better. 

Whomever did these reviews seems very hard to please.  I loved Len Wein on DC Horror Books like Phantom Stranger.

This bloke would probably rip on Roger Stern?

7 minutes ago, piper said:

Whomever did these reviews seems very hard to please.  I loved Len Wein on DC Horror Books like Phantom Stranger.

Indeed. Some of these old fanzines are eye openers Piper - you'd be forgiven for wondering if any of the contributors actually liked comics in the first place. The difference between my 8 year old mind and their 18 maybe....?

23 hours ago, piper said:

Ha ha🤪🤪

As I wind down a two-year journey looking at the real life references that inspired the Amazing Spider-Man artist of my youth,  I realize I am running out of material, with only a handful of recognizable references left.  I'm sure Ross Andru patterned a lot of his buildings after real life ones in NYC (and even France) but several of these may be unrecognizable, say apartment buildings and such.  

In Amazing Spider-Man 177, Spider-Man heads toward the World Trade Towers after smashing some killers in an alley wearing only half his Spidey costume.  One of the victims had a card in his wallet inviting him to the Top of World, which Pete recognized to be a restaurant in the World Trade Center.

There was a real restaurant located on the top floor (107th) of the North Tower called the Window on the World.  As the restaurant opened on April 19, 1976, I think this was most likely Ross's inspiration for his late fall 1977 drawing in Amazing Spider-Man 177 & 178.

I threw in the panel with Pete's pensively mulling over the card.  I have always thought Ross was great at his facial expression like this one.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Spider-Variant