• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Winterboy said:

Pete and MJ by my 10 year old daughter.

Joking aside, that's an uncanny resemblance - that's Pete and MJ there all day long :headbang:

Capture.PNG.e2f4fbcd2757513b368751e1dc500e7d.PNG

Tell your daughter she's a genius

3 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @Get Marwood & I, your little thread just went over 1000 posts!  

:headbang:

No false modesty, it's your contribution that has made the thread what it is Reggie. I'm just along for the ride :cloud9:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

:headbang:

No false modesty, it's your contribution that has made the thread what it is Reggie. I'm just along for the ride :cloud9:

Thanks my friend. I think I was inspired by the thought of others having the same passion as I do for this little run of comic books from the seventies.  Just a neat place to explore different angles of the bronze age Spider-Man we all love.

8 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks my friend. I think I was inspired by the thought of others having the same passion as I do for this little run of comic books from the seventies.  Just a neat place to explore different angles of the bronze age Spider-Man we all love.

Yep. I wonder what the man himself would make of it. 1,000 posts in admiration of what was a small - but very telling to us - period of his life

11 minutes ago, Winterboy said:

I love this thread! :)

You'll find it's one of those rare beasts here on the CGC forum Winterboy - a thread about comics :)

On 11/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep. I wonder what the man himself would make of it. 1,000 posts in admiration of what was a small - but very telling to us - period of his life

I was watching a recent You Tube video were it states that artists in the present era are not allowed to use real locations in their work in case they are sued! Ross would have been in court his entire run.:foryou:

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I was watching a recent You Tube video were it states that artists in the present era are not allowed to use real locations in their work in case they are sued! Ross would have been in court his entire run.:foryou:

That sounds about right doesn't it Maurice. I think they call it 'progress'.

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

It's weird.

Real locations are in every present comic. Brian Hitch should be arrested already. :)

5 hours ago, tv horror said:

Hey, @tv horror, please post a link if you get a chance.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:26 AM, Spider-Variant said:

The original art for Ross Andru's (Mike Esposito on inks) Month of November illustration for the Amazing Spider-Man Mighty Marvel Comics 1978 Calendar is up on Heritage Auctions.  Ross probably drew this in the Summer of 1977, for inclusion into the 1978 Calendar, which probably would have hit the stands in the fall of 1977.  I remember picking up my copy at the PX in Fort Benning, GA at the age of 11, although I can't remember the month.  For comparison, I pulled up ASM 131 to see how much Ross deviated from his original work.  ASM 131 had a cover date of April 1974 and was on the stands in Jan 1974.  So, 3.5 years between the two.

For the most part, Ross kept it the same.  The preacher is the same, Dr. Ock has the same attire with the exception of his glasses, and if you look at ASM 130 and 131 you see the building has a brick facade.   Also notice the thug of diminutive stature, Ross puts him in both illustrations.

But Ross does deviate some.  Aunt May's gown for example in the calendar picture no longer covers her neck.  The rest of the goons are changed up somewhat.

image.thumb.png.598a45d8e74d8309bfe183ae2de07648.png

This original art went for $6600.  Not too shabby.