• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Now you tell me I've went cross-eyed looking over my browser history I never realised HOW much time I wasted browsing.(thumbsu  

Still good to have you back posting, I looked to cause I thought that it was written somewhere, but it might have been an old thread for me.

11 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @Get Marwood & I or anyone really, do we have any documented appearances of Ross ever attending a comic convention?

I haven't found one, but I haven't looked that hard either - I did find this the other day though, which makes interesting reading - can't recall if we've posted it before:

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/09/ross-andru-mike-esposito.html

It leads to other places....

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't found one, but I haven't looked that hard either - I did find this the other day though, which makes interesting reading - can't recall if we've posted it before:

Yes, he has several good reads over there.  My guess is no, but man, I would love to find Ross's name on a convention pamphlet or such.

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Thank you for that link - good stuff! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Winterboy said:

Look this panel, Andru is a genius.

I love his Marvel Team-Up issues. :)

ross andru marvel andru.jpg

I looked for this spot on Google Maps to see if Ross used a real life reference here.  If so, I haven't found it, but I agree with your assessment.  Love the perspective, shot from Morbius's flailing had.  Genius.

I revisited some old work I had done on the Brooklyn Navy Yard where Spider-Man and the Kingpin threw down in Amazing Spider-Man 164.  As some may recall, Ross actually got and received permission to tour the site, normally off limits to the public.  We know this because Marvel put a Thank You note in the ASM Letter's page a few issues later.

I had posted a lot of the real life references from this issue last year in this thread, but there were a few panels I had never found.

Below is a panel from page 16.  When I first looked for these buildings,  I was looking for exact matches.  After spending more time than I should have, I found this picture.  I would say the match is about 70%.  The vantage point matches very well.  The smaller building with the three garage doors matches very, very well.  There are other matching features, like the ventilation ducts on top of building 132, the stack at the correct spot, the feature extending off the building on the far left.  But there are several features that don't match, suggesting either Ross took some liberties or I can't find the actual spot.  I could very well be the latter, as not a lot of interior photos of the Navy Yard are out there.

I am positive that Ross was sitting in the Navy Yard drawing or photographing this scene.  The little features he adds to the building in the foreground are the giveaway.  Not sure what they are, probably electrical connections, etc. but you can believe that where ever Ross was, the building had those in real life.

Oh, and did everyone catch "Dave's Trucking"?

image.thumb.png.a034e6dae73649f7efa0442f384d6057.png

image.thumb.png.56d33f98876fd3843e5505fa9a0908c7.png

18 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I revisited some old work I had done on the Brooklyn Navy Yard where Spider-Man and the Kingpin threw down in Amazing Spider-Man 164.  As some may recall, Ross actually got and received permission to tour the site, normally off limits to the public.  We know this because Marvel put a Thank You note in the ASM Letter's page a few issues later.

I had posted a lot of the real life references from this issue last year in this thread, but there were a few panels I had never found.

Below is a panel from page 16.  When I first looked for these buildings,  I was looking for exact matches.  After spending more time than I should have, I found this picture.  I would say the match is about 70%.  The vantage point matches very well.  The smaller building with the three garage doors matches very, very well.  There are other matching features, like the ventilation ducts on top of building 132, the stack at the correct spot, the feature extending off the building on the far left.  But there are several features that don't match, suggesting either Ross took some liberties or I can't find the actual spot.  I could very well be the latter, as not a lot of interior photos of the Navy Yard are out there.

I am positive that Ross was sitting in the Navy Yard drawing or photographing this scene.  The little features he adds to the building in the foreground are the giveaway.  Not sure what they are, probably electrical connections, etc. but you can believe that where ever Ross was, the building had those in real life.

Oh, and did everyone catch "Dave's Trucking"?

image.thumb.png.a034e6dae73649f7efa0442f384d6057.png

image.thumb.png.56d33f98876fd3843e5505fa9a0908c7.png

Maybe he was a little further back and to the right in his photos, and actually on the grounds rather than street side

Because the only difference I notice is the bay doors on building "132", and those may very well have been blocked in view by 74 a little. Some other small differences with windows, but you have to be darn close on this one  (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Very cool. 

Amazing to see how much he did really - #31 on the most prolific list on this site. 

5 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

It is amazing.  We think Ross and Amazing Spider-Man, but he was 20 years into his career at that point.

Yes. I quite like the Wonder Woman covers. They're proper comics aren't they. Of their time though of course. A better one in many respects, I suspect. 

On 11/28/2020 at 10:08 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's a few original art panels from page 7 of ASM 151 (up on Heritage for auction right now).

Even though it's a character page, I like the way Ross flowed the story and made the characters as dynamic as possible.

Harry is spot on in my mind as someone who had been recovering from a major issue.  Ross draws him gaunt, reserved, even a little awkward, making the reader forget the Goblin just below the surface.

The other thing I love about this issue is the inks by John Romita.  Just so, so much crisper than Mike Esposito's.  And of course, he majorly influenced the appearance of MJ.  Alas poor Gwen wasn't in this issue.

image.thumb.png.1782af5db79283c14f057ec10e477b34.png

It looks like Osborn has his hair in corn braids , maybe he is mixed an we didn’t know it ?

Hey, @Get Marwood & I, take a look at this podcast starting at time 22:00.  Anything look familiar?

They also discuss the letter from Frank Miller, the Electric Company TV show panel, the two pages of art on a single art board, the Romita Spider-Man head on ASM 185, and the Hottess ads.  Literally, they pulled a lot of things straight from this thread.

I guess if it educates people on the talents of Ross Andru, it's all good in my book.

Edited by Spider-Variant

9 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I guess if it educates people on the talents of Ross Andru, it's all good in my book

That's a good way to look at it Reggie. I've always shared all my research and have never been too fussed about others using it. There are some that would be spitting feathers though, that they wasn't asked or credited. The individual images were freely available, yes, but it was your detective work, vision and presentation skills that pulled them together.

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a good way to look at it Reggie. I've always shared all my research and have never been too fussed about others using it. There are some that would be spitting feathers though, that they wasn't asked or credited. The individual images were freely available, yes, but it was your detective work, vision and presentation skills that pulled them together.

Yes, they replied with an apology when I mentioned it to them.  I told them no worries, as long as someone is talking Ross Andru in 2019/2020 I was cool with it.  Guess I do wish they would have mentioned the thread, would have been neat.

Edited by Spider-Variant

5 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, they replied with an apology when I mentioned it to them.  I told them no worries, as long as someone is talking Ross Andru in 2019/2020 I was cool with it.  Guess I do wish they would have mentioned the thread, would have been neat.

It's reasonable to feel that way because it is bad form, plain and simple. If they were going to use your creations for lengthy periods in their presentation, a namecheck would have been the bare minimum I'd have expected. They actually say a number of online people have done it, don't they? I don't see the others in the video, do you?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's reasonable to feel that way because it is bad form, plain and simple. If they were going to use your creations for lengthy periods in their presentation, a namecheck would have been the bare minimum I'd have expected. They actually say a number of online people have done it, don't they? I don't see the others in the video, do you?

Yes, I noticed that too.  It is truly all good.  I made my images to share and I am flattered they made a bigger audience than just this humble thread that you started and that we (all the posters) have kept going.  It's Ross that deserves the credit and that podcast does a good job of giving it to him.