• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,701 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I noticed that too.  It is truly all good.  I made my images to share and I am flattered they made a bigger audience than just this humble thread that you started and that we (all the posters) have kept going.  It's Ross that deserves the credit and that podcast does a good job of giving it to him.  

You're a good man Reggie, with a commendable aproach. 

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Hey, @Get Marwood & I, take a look at this podcast starting at time 22:00.  Anything look familiar?

They also discuss the letter from Frank Miller, the Electric Company TV show panel, the two pages of art on a single art board, the Romita Spider-Man head on ASM 185, and the Hottess ads.  Literally, they pulled a lot of things straight from this thread.

I guess if it educates people on the talents of Ross Andru, it's all good in my book.

I’ve been listening to this podcast for sometime. I highly recommend it.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, Brian48 said:

Surprised issue #162 hasn't taken off.  That's the first appearance of Jigsaw, right?  Maybe after Punisher Season II drops.

Hasn't happened yet but Fiege wants to do some Rated-R stuff within the MCU. Probably under an imprint rather than Disney proper but I do think we'll see Big Pun back in the coming years

I pick up all of the reasonable Spider-Keys from 100-265 pretty much whenever I can, especially the allies/anti-heros(Madame Webb, Black Cat, Silver Sable)... but I think we'll see Jigsaw on the screen again soon-ish. And even if not it's ASM so it'll creep up over time. Pretty much can't go wrong :whee:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yup :cloud9:

I own a slabbed copy but have never read it. As a kid, I couldn’t collect everything so stuck with the flagship title ASM.

Just now, piper said:

I own a slabbed copy but have never read it. As a kid, I couldn’t collect everything so stuck with the flagship title ASM.

It's not too bad. Of its age and all that. I used to have a full run of 1-150 back in the completist days. And a pence run too. I only read the early ones though, if I'm honest.

Some of the writers for MTU:

Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Bill Mantlo, Chris Claremont, JM DeMatteis.

Claremont wrote most of the issues from 57 to 89. Byrne drew about a dozen of these. For me, that's the high water mark in the series. But I like Mantlo's stuff in the 40s-50s as well.

I enjoy most of this series, up to around 100. This was the series that I could find used copies of as a kid... much easier than Amazing. So I have great young collector memories with MTU. I love it.

In staying in proper Christmas theme, I remember this picture from the 1978 Spider-Man Marvel calendar, for the month of December. 

Spidey celebrates X-Mas with the X-Men.

Good stuff, but the problem is, I can't find where this is from.

The 1978 calendar would have had to be on the stands at latest by December 1977.  If I look closely, I swear that is Wolverine in the Fang outfit from X-Men 107 (Sept. 1977).  That is definitely the Phoenix outfit from X-men 101 (Oct. 1976).

I looked at some issues of MTU and couldn't find it.  I even looked at Iron Fist 15, which also has Wolverine in that outfit (it actually predates X-Men 107, which is weird to me). Obviously I looked through the X-men books too.

Nada.

I'm thinking fanzine, like the Comic Reader 145, with a Cockrum - Byrne turnover.

Any ideas @Get Marwood & I and the gang?

I'm stumped.

image.thumb.png.ddb379b4d86dd7644b5aab678105fa64.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

8 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I'm thinking fanzine, like the Comic Reader 145, with a Cockrum - Byrne turnover.

Any ideas @Get Marwood & I and the gang?

I'm stumped.

image.thumb.png.ddb379b4d86dd7644b5aab678105fa64.png

I can't place it either Reggie, although I know I've seen it before :frustrated:

Maybe it's in one of the Marvel Holiday Specials?

Anyway, not an Andru, but here's a timely picture...

RCO086_1471517648.thumb.JPG.e78651a5579bd542c7ac5c8baa5a6ec5.JPG

Merry Christmas gang! :headbang:

On 12/25/2020 at 3:56 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't place it either Reggie, although I know I've seen it before :frustrated:

Maybe it's in one of the Marvel Holiday Specials?

Anyway, not an Andru, but here's a timely picture...

Merry Christmas gang! :headbang:

I started a thread to see if any X-Men fans know.  Guess I am getting lazy, lol.