• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,703 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks guys.  I really had fun with this issue.  

The story isnt bad, but I think had I read it directly off the stands and not through back issue, it would be more fondly remembered by me.

That's what I'm afraid of... and also how I feel about Catcher in the Rye.

But at least Catcher in the Rye fits in my standard bookcase!

Let's keep the train rolling on Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man Ross Andru real-life references.  I started to slowly tackle the Empire State Building, but I have always thought it was a little pedestrian, well besides being tall.  Here are three images of Spidey racing up the side of the building as he attempts to intercept the Goodyear Blimp (really Doc Ock in disguise).

The first reference I have seen in a couple of different photos through different years, so I assume this was a spot that was accessible and made for a good photo.  Ross adds the detail of the antennae coming off the base of the tower.

I doubt I will find a good reference on the second image, because most photos are above this vantage point, looking downward.  But with the advent of drone technology, one may pop up.  This panel was within a splash page, along with the next image.

This third reference screams Bronze Age Spider-Man to me.  When I think of Spidey racing up a building, this is the panel that comes to mind.  Ross drew the panel rotated for effect.    Here, in very small detail, Ross gives a view of the city from the Empire State Building, including the Chrysler Building, the UN Secretariat Building, and the Queensboro Bridge.

image.thumb.png.aa33cb639101c70efe541428ca446acd.png

image.png

image.png

8 hours ago, ganni said:

And don't forget to take a break between twinkies Webheads

asm4.jpg

Man I don't consider myself fat, even though I can look slimmer but weigh the same. And every time it would seem lol I've seen Twinkies and Ding Dong together in one box at Sam's :sumo: it's like I work it off just to have an excuse to fill some arteries :sick::roflmao: still I didn't buy them this last time haha, it's a ^^ time for me! :banana: 

and a few more emoji's :tonofbricks::cry: 

On 12/27/2020 at 2:42 PM, Spider-Variant said:

So much to love even about this simple ad.  First, it's classic Andru and most likely inked by Esposito.  It screams Amazing Spider-Man continuity, even for such a outlier of a page: just look at that sweater on Peter Parker.  

But my eyes are drawn to that fourth panel, as Spider-Man approaches the kidnappers hideout.  What kind of building is that?  What is in the background, it looks like a ferris wheel?   To me, there's another story.  

That's no ferris wheel, that's a lifeguard chair. It looks those kidnappers took poor aunt May to a abandoned beach house in Breezy Point/Far Rockaway Queens.

Also, I would like to add that when Ross passed away in 1993 he was living in Jamaica Bay, Queens which is a hop, skip and jump away from Far Rockaway.

20210118_094754.jpg

20210118_100141.jpg

Edited by mr_highgrade

I found a picture from April 1975 of the Empire State Building tower, it's almost like Ross was using this photo to depict his scene.

image.thumb.png.d506b8621d9bc9d39f50887af62247a7.png

Not sure how popular this awning design was, but Ross copies it fairly true to life as well with Pete and MJ strolling the streets.

image.thumb.png.0a994b980414dcd017fc48f0c8bec6ce.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Definitely could be.  I am now leaning toward water wheel with the building being a mill.  Or Ross could have just threw a bunch of stuff together and called it an ad.  :banana:

By golly he could be correct in his lifeguard chair guess

So, Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man was an incredibly feat for all those involved, but there were a couple of things that I found just a little odd.

Like why did JJJ have a picture of Conan the Barbarian on his office wall?

image.png.7019d128b3f3b02f94b45207255302d9.png

Or this double page spread.  Who can figure out why Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man would have had fans scratching their heads when they pulled this off the shelf in January 1976.  As always, first correct answer gets the coveted Ross Andru Thread No-Prize and @Get Marwood & I 's half eaten Twinkie.

image.thumb.png.1cdc948b3a29cb4cf3e5543739133979.png

12 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

So, Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man was an incredibly feat for all those involved, but there were a couple of things that I found just a little odd.

Because he liked to crush his enemies, and hear the lamentation of their women...

conan.gif.9c2e817a0605fe96bcf8b11ae8a721e5.gif

Or this double page spread.  Who can figure out why Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man would have had fans scratching their heads when they pulled this off the shelf in January 1976.  As always, first correct answer gets the coveted Ross Andru Thread No-Prize and @Get Marwood & I 's half eaten Twinkie.

No idea Reggie.

But I was at their wedding in May 76 so....

may.thumb.jpg.be12c5e02e0c42c37c15ad2608052fad.jpg

I'll eat the other half then shall I.... :D

156.thumb.jpg.860f705381c5369b81f783f9ec5275d3.jpg  1897291542_15630cv.thumb.jpg.846284c3116c83ffd2d44cd4e5bc9a79.jpg

13 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Maybe the fanboys had dandruff. (shrug)

Yes, Steve eat away, you got the answer I was looking for.

Super-Man vs. the Amazing Spider-Man hit the stands somewhere in Mid-January 1976, as your beautiful ex-copy date stamp suggested.

Betty and Ned got married in issue 156 of the Amazing Spider-Man, with a cover date of May 1976 and would have hit the stands in early Feb. 1976.

So, when Ned says "Betty, I'm just glad to be back in New York.  Paris is a nice town to visit for a "working honeymoon"...", it implies that he and Betty are returning from their honeymoon without even been married first.  I guess if I read it a little differently, I could infer only Ned went to Paris before the wedding and had returned, mentioning the future new work arrangement.  JJJ announced this assignment at the party he held for them in Issue 151, well before Super-Man vs. the Amazing Spider-Man.  

Just odd that Gerry Conway who was working at DC at the publication date would try so hard to work Ned Leeds and Betty into the story.

Continuing with some real life Ross Andru references for Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man yields a few unexpected places.  As Lex Luthor is describing the destruction across the Midwest, Ross depicts the St. Louis Gateway Arch, which is easily recognizable to all.  There are a few other buildings in there that at first I did not recognize.  Ross added the Old St. Louis County Courthouse, which is near the Arch.  The other building with the weird roof had me scratching my head, until I realized it was the Old Busch Memorial Stadium.  It is unpleasing to the eye on the outside, so I guess Ross got it correct. lol

The other reference from a few pages after appears to be the  Chicago Tribune Tower.  It's a very good match and with the fact Lex mentions Chicago in his monologue, I'd place this at about 90% most likely to be the correct reference.

image.thumb.png.c230effbedbc1ef8bca349498a9fb2ab.png

image.thumb.png.1e6050878ab5ca9d46abf736a7f77936.png

As I close out my Ross Andru real life references from Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man, here are a couple of more.

As Spidey races up and jumps off the Empire State Building, we can see the Observation Deck (what I call it anyway).  At first I thought this was a little off, but you can see it actually lines up pretty well.  I didn't think the building had any beveled edges, but both the real ESB and Ross's depictions do (as highlighted by my red line).  

The other building I think Ross shows is the Hampshire House (Ross draws this building again on the Splash of ASM 179).  As some of this story was set on the edge of Central Park, this makes sense to me.  The thing that I think is a little off is the buildings in the background of this panel.  They would not be there in the real Central Park.  Of course, that's  me just being picky.

image.thumb.png.976587e6d825705743921eb68d0cfb41.png

image.thumb.png.51594e75e61bcf8b560739dfbe08ff76.png

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

As I close out my Ross Andru real life references from Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man, here are a couple of more.

As Spidey races up and jumps off the Empire State Building, we can see the Observation Deck (what I call it anyway).  At first I thought this was a little off, but you can see it actually lines up pretty well.  I didn't think the building had any beveled edges, but both the real ESB and Ross's depictions do (as highlighted by my red line).  

The other building I think Ross shows is the Hampshire House (Ross draws this building again on the Splash of ASM 179).  As some of this story was set on the edge of Central Park, this makes sense to me.  The thing that I think is a little off is the buildings in the background of this panel.  They would not be there in the real Central Park.  Of course, that's  me just being picky.

image.thumb.png.976587e6d825705743921eb68d0cfb41.png

image.thumb.png.51594e75e61bcf8b560739dfbe08ff76.png

How did they get the vehicle on top of the observation deck is what I'd like to know? lol