• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, ok, very last one from Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man, I promise, I promise....:wishluck:

As I have documented over the last couple of years, Ross went out of his way to capture New York City and included it in his art for the Amazing Spider-Man comic.  Sometimes he literally took a photo and copied that into the book.  

But Ross actually went to the next level as well, he put Spider-Man in NYC and traced the actual real life path that Spider-Man would have taken to fight a foe or get into action.  I posted a while back from Issue 165 where Peter and MJ walk to the Hayden Planetarium, and Ross using the actual buildings they would have passed as his backdrop.  There are other examples as well, maybe I will get to them.

Here, because no one demanded it, I give you my breakdown of the first meeting of Superman and Spiderman.  I'm calling it the Columbus Circle Brawl.  Is this 100% accurate?  Well given how buildings changed in 45 years and the fact that Ross probably took a few liberties, maybe, maybe not.  But overall, I think it's a fair representation.

image.thumb.png.10dead17f5269b43424f63b5304dff9b.png

Thank you again so very much for doing this. It increases the enjoyment of the books even more!

And it has allowed me to appreciate Andru's craft on another level.

Wonderful stuff from you and Andru!!!!

2053130945_ASMVSPRODIGY.thumb.JPG.4061909948f95470f8fcdb0a470b1cf6.JPG

672848014_ASMProdigy.thumb.JPG.b22d252c8fdc526af0cc81ea01679e78.JPG

My old copy, long since gone. Anything in here you could do a real world reference on Reggie? Don't tell me you haven't got one...

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

2053130945_ASMVSPRODIGY.thumb.JPG.4061909948f95470f8fcdb0a470b1cf6.JPG

672848014_ASMProdigy.thumb.JPG.b22d252c8fdc526af0cc81ea01679e78.JPG

My old copy, long since gone. Anything in here you could do a real world reference on Reggie? Don't tell me you haven't got one...

Yes, the Pan Am building is one of the main settings of the story.  I've looked at it a couple of times.

I bought my copy very late in my collecting years.  It's definitely an oddball.

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

Big wheel Spidey comic is always a good one to make fun of ❤️❤️👍‼️ Movie in the works👍👍🤪

I just think those last few Andru issues were toward the bottom of the curve  storywise.  Rocket Racer, Big Wheel, White Dragon just didn't compare to the Jackal, Tarantula, or even Mysterio, for me.  

Edited by Spider-Variant

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, the Pan Am building is one of the main settings of the story.  I've looked at it a couple of times.

I bought my copy very late in my collecting years.  It's definitely an oddball.

Ah, sorry Reggie. I lose track of what's been covered sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ah, sorry Reggie. I lose track of what's been covered sometimes. 

Not sure I posted anything from it, just noting there is some buildings in there that I could.

But it does remind me of some comic collecting words I know I mispronounced as a kid, and maybe a few I still do today.

PRODIGY, not sure why I struggled with that one.  But INDICIA, I don't recall  ever hearing anyone use it while in a conversation.  ORIGIN is another I bungled as a kid.

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Not sure I posted anything from it, just noting there is some buildings in there that I could.

But it does remind me of some comic collecting words I know I mispronounced as a kid, and maybe a few I still do today.

PRODIGY, not sure why I struggled with that one.  But INDICIA, I don't recall  ever hearing anyone use it while in a conversation.  ORIGIN is another I bungled as a kid.

Check out the first post Reggie....  

Ross Ahhndru  :eek:

Just a reminder to all, the Mindworm house hunting challenge is still open.  :baiting:

I have tried this past week to find a photo of this house and probably went through 6000 pictures of houses in the Far Rockaway area with no success.  I saw some that were very similar but none that I thought I had found it.  

As stated before and referenced a few times (for example https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-mindworm-rockaway-house/, ) Ross nearly got Marvel sued by his depiction of a real house in Amazing Spider-Man 138.  

Here is the house

image.png.61e31547b9ad19df2512d584c64918a7.png

Now, Marvel I think took this threat seriously, because look at the house as it appeared in Marvel Tales 115, which reprints ASM 138.  A chimney was added, along with the removal of the columns and porch.

image.png.d6f166dd99ff728e8f0a15a4c403c29e.png

The question is, does this house still stand today?  There are a lot of older houses still in the Far Rockaway area, where the story in ASM 138 was set.  So, it could still be there.  But after about six months of off and on searching in the area using googlemaps, I cannot find a house that looks similar enough to this one.  I do know some houses that were there in 1974 are no longer there.  There is even one house on googlemaps in the area that is blurred, but looking from a satellite view down, I don't think it matches either.

There are some clues above about it being on a cul-de-sac, but not a lot of cul-de-sacs in this area.  It mentions "fans" were looking for the Mindworm, which leads me to think fans = kids and that it must be located near a school.  But no luck there either.

Anyway, if anyone has time to kill, jump into the Mindworm House Challenge and see if you can be the first to find it.  As always, SV is providing the No Prize!  

Just now, FoggyNelson said:

It’s tore down an there probably is a Rite Aid on the spot now🤪🤪😢

There is a high probability it has been torn down.  I was searching through photos from 1983 through 1988, so I bet it was still standing in those.  I google mapped some of the homes from the photos, and was surprised at how some have barely changed while others are nearly unrecognizable.

I've driven from Five Towns through Far Rockaway all the way to Belle Harbor and Breezy Point at least 500 times in the last 32 years. There's been a lot of new housing development through out the years, especially after Hurricane Sandy walloped that region in 2012. It's fair to say that old house is long gone.