• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

One of those gents above was incredibly important to the Spider-Man franchise and the other is Tobey Maguire, lol.  (To be fair I really enjoyed Tobey's take on Peter Parker and thought that first movie was very, very good)

The Maguires got much more right than wrong in my opinion, and they generally nailed the comic book mood. Though I enjoyed elements of the two Garfields, they got more wrong than right and generally missed the mood. The Holland films got nothing right and wouldn't understand the mood if it was delivered to them rectally by the Rhino. 

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The Maguires got much more right than wrong in my opinion, and they generally nailed the comic book mood. Though I enjoyed elements of the two Garfields, they got more wrong than right and generally missed the mood. The Holland films got nothing right and wouldn't understand the mood if it was delivered to them rectally by the Rhino. 

Yes, I agree on all points, although that 3rd Maguire movie was not good.

I really liked the first Garfield movie.  I think he is a better actor than Tobey.

39 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I agree on all points, although that 3rd Maguire movie was not good.

It would have been though, if not for the meddling of those above without flair and imagination. The heart of it remains, despite the clumsy MTU style shoe-horning in of Venom.

I really liked the first Garfield movie.  I think he is a better actor than Tobey.

His awkward scenes with Gwen were a joy, yes. Everything else was a step backwards from the first three where it should have been a big step forwards. I've said this before here, I think, that a final fourth Maguire film with Harry killing MJ as a 'proper' Goblin would have been the most powerful ending. It's a crime that their story wasn't wrapped up in the Spectacular manner that it deserved, and which exists in my minds eye. 

29 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

After two years of searching, and probably over 12,000 photos searched.  I proudly present for the first time, the actual residence that got Ross Andru and Marvel nearly sued https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-mindworm-rockaway-house/ .  I actually didn't think I would find it honestly and I was wondering if it was perhaps a hoax, lol.  But here is a 1940ish photo of the home Ross used to model the Mindworm's house in Amazing Spider-Man 138.

Is this really the house Spider-Variant, or are you just pulling our leg?  I sometimes opine on how likely my real life references are when I am not 100%, but this is the house, I'd put it at 100.00000%.  Mystery solved, case closed.  Of all the other photos I looked at, none come close to I found this one. 

Why this house?  Well, it was exactly one mile from where Ross lived when he drew the story in July/August 1974.  So maybe he walked to the beach one day and saw it in passing and said, I could base a Spider-Man story on this.  

Is it still there?  No, it appears that it has been torn down and replaced with an apartment building.  I have not included the actual address just because I try to be caution on that stuff.  

image.thumb.png.314ce1f2ce21fe3257117fb710738717.png

Woo Hoo!  A bit of a heavy topper isn't it? with that awning making the under belly look slimmer lol classic construction though and probably a bit sturdy :) 

Congrats on the fruitful search :) a bit cross pitched or whatever the word is lol where the part of the pic on the right is on the left in the drawing.....

Still that porch, pier an beam, classic of any film with eerie scenes ha good choice Andru! :headbang: 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Woo Hoo!  A bit of a heavy topper isn't it? with that awning making the under belly look slimmer lol classic construction though and probably a bit sturdy :) 

Congrats on the fruitful search :) a bit cross pitched or whatever the word is lol where the part of the pic on the right is on the left in the drawing.....

Still that porch, pier an beam, classic of any film with eerie scenes ha good choice Andru! :headbang: 

Thanks Adamantium.  I could definitely see Norman Bates walking out of the front door.

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks Adamantium.  I could definitely see Norman Bates walking out of the front door.

what is interesting about those types, is that during the day they seem normal and a bit of a picket fence dream house, but at night the creepy crawlies are alive~!!

5 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Here is a slight view from the other side of the house, similar to the perspective Ross drew.  Looks like the chimney is in the same place as well.

I wonder who first discovered this and informed the owner his house was in a Marvel comic.  

image.thumb.png.4f0b4a08353ae710b683fae8188dabfe.png

lol and given classic movies, children riding their bikes would ride past and gaze!!! ah to be a celebrity of sorts! :x 

Still, are there permissions involved? same with Google Street view? haha

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol and given classic movies, children riding their bikes would ride past and gaze!!! ah to be a celebrity of sorts! :x 

Still, are there permissions involved? same with Google Street view? haha

It's not on google street views, it's gone.

Doubt anyone in the world would care today except a few nuts like myself. 

7 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I meant what has been discussed before, the permissions to draw it in a comic, same way google needs permissions to post online lol 

But we've been through that, other than this being a "residential address" and etc not being a "business" nor public property....

5 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes hardly anyone else cares but this is awesome to some of us 

you the man Spider-Valient 

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Yes hardly anyone else cares but this is awesome to some of us 

you the man Spider-Valient 

Thanks Foggy.  This was by far the hardest one to find.  I wonder how many others exist that have never been identified.   Gerry Conway has said Ross would come over to his apartment and go up on the rooftop and take pictures for reference for use in the Amazing Spider-Man.  Mike Esposito said Ross used a book for the houses in Paris.  There are more out there, but they may remain hidden.

I smile knowing Ross probably saw the house and decided the story for ASM 138 should be in the city where he lived.  Right down the road.  Less than one mile.  This amuses me greatly.

In the days before the internet this great thread which has discovered all the then and now photo,s would be worthy of a book, but in today’s times there is so much information overload that great stuff goes under the radar

Ok, before I move on from the Mindworm's home from Amazing Spider-Man, here are all the real-life references Ross Andru used for Amazing Spider-Man 138. We follow Peter from the bombed out apartment he shared with Harry in Mid-Town Manhattan, along the FDR drive near the Manhattan Bridge, over the Marine Parkway Bridge, along Beach Channel Drive, via the Rockaway Beach Boulevard, to Flash Thompson's apartment.  Oh, and passing the Mindworm's home along the way.

This is another example of Ross not only putting real places in his story, but moving Spider-Man along the correct path while passing these real places.  I've posted all of these before, but thought this would be a nice wrap up to the issue.

image.thumb.png.71fed3df59dd5feb7e20a0c107299be4.png

image.thumb.png.49e306df4abda793772b33d9a189f086.png

image.thumb.png.d82b99193e22a646e98f8db3f45888e7.png

image.thumb.png.8fcbc1f34819d1d43473e5265c59f98c.pngimage.thumb.png.1b3e13bab370d366436bddfbeb603f88.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

And speaking of Flash Thompson's apartment in Far Rockaway, Ross revisits it in Amazing Spider-Man 176 (see all things return to the original thread topic).  Ross does a good job of matching Flash's apartment building in ASM 176 and 177 to what he drew in ASM 138.  There were some differences though, namely how the boardwalk seemed to be on all sides of the building, lol.

Here, Tony DeZuniga handles the inking chores (this is up for auction on Heritage if anyone has the coins).  I don't enjoy his inks on Andru as much as the other inkers teamed with Ross though.  The first panel Goblin's face is splendidly evil . 

Oh, and poor Flash, unlike Dua Lipa, is not Levitating, bwa ha ha ha.   :kidaround:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F2%2F1%2F23621761%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by Spider-Variant