• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

That really is neat...

Are those recent photos?  Also pretty cool (and surprising) that not that much has changed... except for maybe that yellow ladder!

Yes, most of the photos are from google maps, so most likely less than a few years old.  The art for ASM 152 was probably drawn in late summer of 1975, so about 44 years ago.  I was astounded by how close the one from the bridge matched Ross's depiction.  That water tank could have been replaced over the years, but the equipment in front of it probably has been there since 1975.

20 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Sorry, this stuff really fascinates me.  (shrug)

Same power plant as above, Ross just went around to the back side and snapped a few more pics and used those for his art for ASM 152.

image.thumb.png.f28516ed0272eb55e948122c0bea8bcb.png

I really like these mock ups that you do. Nice to think of him pottering about with his camera, taking snaps to replicate in the comic. It's like I've said before - Ross's art may not be the most stylish, or even accomplished, but there's a truth to it that I love. The world he portrays, and the people in it, are real. They we're real to me back then, and they're real to me now as an adult. The art suited the mood, and the time. I just love it and I wish I could have met him and told him that. It's wrong that people have to die. I don't like it.  

I couldn't have said it better myself Marwood.  These mock ups are like a time machine for me and I too imagine Ross snapping pics to use for the latest issue of ASM.

He died way too young.  Wish he could have lived to receive some of the acclaim for his work.  He would have been a super star at today's conventions 

Edited by Spider-Variant

31 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Have you seen the Artist edition of his work it reprints issues 125-127 153 and 167 and a gallery of his work on Amazing Spider-man, it's a beautiful book, I have all the Spider-man editions and can't wait until they release a Ditko version.

TV Horror, I just got the Ross Andru one this year from Christmas and absolutely love it.  I post a few pics from it as well in this thread.  I would love to grab the others, but probably have to wait on those.

5 hours ago, tv horror said:

Have you seen the Artist edition of his work it reprints issues 125-127 153 and 167 and a gallery of his work on Amazing Spider-man, it's a beautiful book, I have all the Spider-man editions and can't wait until they release a Ditko version.

Yeah of course. I just recently posted ASM 125 on the "this week in bronze collection" thread. That's one I'd wanna crack open the most if I could. Love that splash!!!

andrus-spidey-cover-659x927.jpg.48831abdee356139b1682901d686d080.jpg

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for posting those Marwood.  I had read both.  

Not sure there is a better Andru comic than that Super-Man vs Spider-Man.

I never bought that one off the shelf and cursed myself for years until I finally ordered it through the mail.

My old copy...

1375810363_MTESMVSSUPERMAN(2).thumb.jpg.5565b35629fbc7f9fc63f95c43e7cd23.jpg