Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
6 6

826 posts in this topic

14,156 posts
3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I would say issue 300 unfortunately I still motored on for another 400 issues, hey I'm a slowwwwww learner.:sick:  

I liked the 'Back in Black' storyline, and Garney's art. A few good stories here and there after 300 but nothing to rival the first 185 issues really. I see the old stuff and new as completely separate. You can't compare the later sophistication to the simpler, but far more charming early books. It's all wrapped up in age too. And nostalgia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
1 hour ago, David Stager said:

I believe this was Ross Andru’s first work on Spider-Man, from May, 1968.  (A survivor from my childhood collection.)

41EA32F4-D080-4E23-8F39-C782F489AB53.jpeg

Yup.  Hardly recognizable as Andru's work, IMHO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I liked the 'Back in Black' storyline, and Garney's art. A few good stories here and there after 300 but nothing to rival the first 185 issues really. I see the old stuff and new as completely separate. You can't compare the later sophistication to the simpler, but far more charming early books. It's all wrapped up in age too. And nostalgia. 

Spoken like a true comic poet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

Here's one from ASM 135 that I hadn't even heard of. No idea where Ross had to be to get that perspective.  This is as close as I could get.

image.thumb.png.5155932f7c424dce78ddc0dec52751cf.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
10 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Here's one from ASM 135 that I hadn't even heard of. No idea where Ross had to be to get that perspective.  This is as close as I could get.

image.thumb.png.5155932f7c424dce78ddc0dec52751cf.png

He must've climbed one of the trees :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,485 posts
On 4/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's one I like because the colors used on the comic match the sunlight hitting the bridge in this photo. 

image.thumb.png.021ccfbf7421af33c708954ed76cb2fa.png

Sweet bridge in comic an real life👍👍‼️🤔‼️

Edited by FoggyNelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
5 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Sweet bridge in comic an real life👍👍‼️🤔‼️

I know I've been across the George Washington bridge a couple of times, but don't think I have ever been across this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

First time I've noticed Spidey's reflection there. Odd, cos I love that issue.

Yes, I really think Ross was in his prime around this time.  I was noticing that reflection earlier too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
12 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I really think Ross was in his prime around this time.  I was noticing that reflection earlier too.

Nice to see the #138 cab scene too. I liked that issue. I liked that it was largely about Peter, and his suprise at Flash's welcoming him. You wouldn't get that today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts
46 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice to see the #138 cab scene too. I liked that issue. I liked that it was largely about Peter, and his suprise at Flash's welcoming him. You wouldn't get that today. 

That's an excellent point.  Didn't even think of it as a Peter Parker issue with a Spider-Man cameo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,485 posts
On 4/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Andru used a lot of bridges on his run on Amazing Spider-Man.  Here's another, but I couldn't find a picture from 1974 for a good comparison.

image.thumb.png.7aafcb4f242a2e8e0db998aec4597de0.png

I think I see this bridge in lots of movies🤔🤔‼️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6