Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
6 6

826 posts in this topic

14,156 posts
On 7/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

There's an Andru page on Comiclink at the mo - no Spidey in it but already at $850

andru.thumb.PNG.438fd4481640713a7d5c3f9d2b239cc9.PNG

:cloud9:

 

Not bad considering no Spidey or A list villain appears:

ra.thumb.PNG.181867546d0c17e4b1e1d5ad11cff540.PNG

 

RADCC5F1201872_131636.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts

That's a lot of good readin' there @Get Marwood & I did you ever buy any OA or did you just track it? the ASM #172 makes me want to know what in the world was the matter with 'Liz'!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's a lot of good readin' there @Get Marwood & I did you ever buy any OA or did you just track it? the ASM #172 makes me want to know what in the world was the matter with 'Liz'!

 

There's a few of mine in the earlier thread posts Mark. I just had to have an Andru original, and ended up with 3. Bought at the right time :)

Liz was preoccupied with the Molten Man as I recall. There's a clue on the cover of 173....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,302 posts

720374836_1777170Feb16.jpg.08227021fc7ba

Such a great GG page and one of the few times I considered buying OA.  I think it's from issue 177 but it was likely my introduction to the character's history...and I had only read 136/137 and issue 40 from Bring on the Bad Guys at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

720374836_1777170Feb16.jpg.08227021fc7ba

Such a great GG page and one of the few times I considered buying OA.  I think it's from issue 177 but it was likely my introduction to the character's history...and I had only read 136/137 and issue 40 from Bring on the Bad Guys at the time.

Yeah, there are certain frames of art that stay with you.  The Goblins face on this page where he's being impaled by the glider is one of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts

Story telling was so different back then. Scenes of Peter trudging through the streets with all the cares in the world on his shoulders. Simple,  but moody and slightly maudlin. So different to the brash, clever clever smart arse stuff of today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yeah, there are certain frames of art that stay with you.

There's a scene in ASM 153 where the crook catches a bird in his hand and crushes it. That stayed with me. Soppy sod, I was. 

 

Edit - here it is:

hqdefault.jpg.0de6f9513800071c2c2306d2a0a3e91d.jpg

Edited by Get Marwood & I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,838 posts
9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

 

Not bad considering no Spidey or A list villain appears:

ra.thumb.PNG.181867546d0c17e4b1e1d5ad11cff540.PNG

 

RADCC5F1201872_131636.jpg

Here’s a list of some Ross Andru  pages that sold recently on comic connect 

9C96EB78-4BEF-43D3-A177-67374DD080AB.png

Edited by minisink warrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
10 hours ago, minisink warrior said:

Here’s a list of some Ross Andru  pages that sold recently on comic connect 

9C96EB78-4BEF-43D3-A177-67374DD080AB.png

Cor,  they look nice. Thanks for posting them - I'll have a look on the site now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

image.png.883961847c54d3335bc103728d96b76f.png

Again, not mine, but a xerox of a page in the process from ASM 134.  Background inks by Dave Hunt, pencils by Ross Andru, to be later inked by Frank Giacoia.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

Ross Andru was noted for his attention to detail and his dedication to getting things right.  Here are some side by side comparisons of his work on Amazing Spider-Man and the real places and things he drew.

Slide5.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,156 posts
6 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Slide8.JPG

That's so cool. Thanks S-V. I really liked these :headbang:

I love realism in my art. Andru was so good at it. It made it real for me as a kid. I truly believed this stuff was happening, in a real place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,229 posts

I enjoyed making these.  There's a lot more examples, but time got in the way. 

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man was a big part of my youth and these issues will always have a soft spot for me.  I agree, I enjoy my art with more realism than flash. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6