• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

Here's a follow on to a real life comparison I did for ASM 141 a while back.  This is the panel before the one I had previously done of the Pier A Harbor House (a NYFD building in Ross's day.)

First time I used the World Trade Towers in one of my comparisons.  Alas, so much for the Spider-Mobile.  The large photo is from Aug. 1975.  You can see how barren it was on the left side of the panel looking toward the Towers.  The route in yellow is the one Spidey took to attempt to evade the police.  Lol.  I included the next panel for the heck of it, even though I had posted it before.  

image.thumb.png.4d758f7d49c898fd2c64e3bdec58f770.png

image.thumb.png.3bb8ea43e8ee45f201962082d28221f6.png

On 10/18/2019 at 11:43 PM, Spider-Variant said:

image.thumb.png.3bb8ea43e8ee45f201962082d28221f6.png

I was wondering why he went for 'Fire Department' over 'Pier A' and I found this online:

"Pier A is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated New York City landmark. Opening in 1886 as the headquarters for the New York Harbor Police and Department of Docks, Pier A later served as the VIP entrance for European Ambassadors traveling to Ellis Island and as the main station for the Marine Division of the New York City Fire Department"

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was wondering why he went for 'Fire Department' over 'Pier A' and I found this online:

"Pier A is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated New York City landmark. Opening in 1886 as the headquarters for the New York Harbor Police and Department of Docks, Pier A later served as the VIP entrance for European Ambassadors traveling to Ellis Island and as the main station for the Marine Division of the New York City Fire Department"

Yes, when I pulled that pic, I used a recent one.  Had I done it today, i would have tried to find one closer in time to Ross's take.

Besides the Twin Towers, the other building Ross drew that is recognizable in the panel I posted was the Whitehall Building Annex.  

Again I marvel at the effort Ross put in to match the real world to his ASM run.

How cool is this building, built in 1910?

whitehallannex1a.jpg

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Besides the Twin Towers, the other building Ross drew that is recognizable in the panel I posted was the Whitehall Building Annex.  

Again I marvel at the effort Ross put in to match the real world to his ASM run.

How cool is this building, built in 1910?

whitehallannex1a.jpg

I used to do a lot of art, even doing a little work in some Independent comics, and when I approached Marvel, they explained to me that they preferred to hire artists who live in NYC, that they focused on making the Big Apple location believable. Sadly, my comic work was too mediocre.... and I, too impatient. I've noticed some really decent draftsmanship …. It's pretty cool to me, a strong yet subliminal part of the Marvel Magic. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

13 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I used to do a lot of art, even doing a little work in some Independent comics, and when I approached Marvel, they explained to me that they preferred to hire artists who live in NYC, that they focused on making the Big Apple location believable. Sadly, my comic work was too mediocre.... and I, too impatient. I've noticed some really decent draftsmanship …. It's pretty cool to me, a strong yet subliminal part of the Marvel Magic. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Good Stuff Jimbo.  Thanks for sharing.

5 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Harry and the Lovely Liz visit Chinatown in ASM 171.  Picture from 1960, I used it because I like the perspective as it compares to the comic panel.

image.thumb.png.de3fb484982e5c3cc24707bfd3989347.png

That's eerily accurate that one isn't it. Love it.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's eerily accurate that one isn't it. Love it.

I find it amazing the lengths that Ross went on this book to make it match the real world.  I still think there is an envelope with all his reference pictures somewhere.  

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I find it amazing the lengths that Ross went on this book to make it match the real world.  I still think there is an envelope with all his reference pictures somewhere.  

Found it.

andru.thumb.PNG.521fb5adf9c04d5b1b318530e642ce5e.PNG

24 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I thought he portrayed a good JJJ.

I'm not a fan of the last few films / portrayals. They had their faults, but I thought the Raimi trilogy was the closest in spirit and tone that I'll ever see on film to the Spidey in my mind. And J.K. Simmons nailed it.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm not a fan of the last few films / portrayals. They had their faults, but I thought the Raimi trilogy was the closest in spirit and tone that I'll ever see on film to the Spidey in my mind. And J.K. Simmons nailed it.

Man, I remember like yesterday skipping work and going to the first show in the morning to watch Spider-Man back in 2002.  After years of waiting for a Spider-Man movie, I was blown away.  It was the movie I had been waiting for since Nicholas Hammond (well his stunt double) donned the Spidey outfit back in 1978 and got hauled up by visible cables, lol.

I actually liked Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, although I think I am in the minority on this one.  Definitely not nerdy enough like Toby Maguire, but something resonated about his acting job.

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Man, I remember like yesterday skipping work and going to the first show in the morning to watch Spider-Man back in 2002.  After years of waiting for a Spider-Man movie, I was blown away.  It was the movie I had been waiting for since Nicholas Hammond (well his stunt double) donned the Spidey outfit back in 1978 and got hauled up by visible cables, lol.

I actually liked Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, although I think I am in the minority on this one.  Definitely not nerdy enough like Toby Maguire, but something resonated about his acting job.

The Garfield / Stone relationship was indeed the highlight of those films. Tender, believable and touching. But everything else was inferior to the Raimi films - action, villains, supporting cast. And the music was just awful. What should have been a big step up was a big step backwards.

The latest chap just isn't Spider-Man, or Peter Parker, in any way that I recognise. Ditto the cast, setting etc. 

I've posted this before, but if they had left Venom out of #3, not killed Harry, and then built up to a final #4 in which MJ dies at his hands.... Well, that would have been something. 

Because of the way things are now we will likely never see a rendition that is faithful to the comics. That's a shame, but I understand it. The Raimi films came mighty close, and I'm happy to leave it there. I got to see Spidey on the big screen and was largely thrilled by it. It's a bit like Doctor Who. Ruined now, but I got to see Capaldi nail it in my lifetime.

You can't have everything. 

There's an interesting page up on Heritage at the moment - the UK Super Spider-Man Weekly #217:

lf.thumb.jpg.d25a0d813b52487ed5068af842dd6ef9.jpg

Here's the description:

Capture.thumb.PNG.52289ae1940511dbfdec769e56cb5098.PNG

not a bad effort when you compare it to Ross' original:

1326096957_lf(2).thumb.jpg.c7534d0cc4f6ecd924883423a91e2b0a.jpg 1734641995_159(2).thumb.jpg.1b5fc523878bc8adfc591986d9def12d.jpg

A bit wider of course, but you can see why :)

159.thumb.jpg.27f550bfe2723d55065582fc69589c68.jpg  lf.thumb.jpg.c5443ba246e70b354c55c21ca7178984.jpg

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There's an interesting page up on Heritage at

159.thumb.jpg.27f550bfe2723d55065582fc69589c68.jpg  lf.thumb.jpg.c5443ba246e70b354c55c21ca7178984.jpg

Interesting that the OA even has the tag at the "top" of "British Book", Ross Andru :headbang: 

22 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There's an interesting page up on Heritage at the moment - the UK Super Spider-Man Weekly #217:

not a bad effort when you compare it to Ross' original:

1326096957_lf(2).thumb.jpg.c7534d0cc4f6ecd924883423a91e2b0a.jpg 1734641995_159(2).thumb.jpg.1b5fc523878bc8adfc591986d9def12d.jpg

Original Comic Art:Covers, Ross Andru and Frank Giacoia Amazing Spider-Man #159 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1976)....

Well, that's not entirely Ross's original on the published cover.  Thought this was interesting (from Heritage Auctions):

Originally, this cover artwork did not actually have Hammerhead on it. John Romita Sr. provided some art revisions/alterations and Hammerhead was likely on an acetate overlay. As this page does not come with an overlay, we feel there is likely no John Romita Sr. art on this page. Please note: At some point, someone has inked Hammerhead back into the scene, using a black ink ballpoint pen. It is possible that a Marvel artist added this detail at a convention by request of the owner, as Hammerhead is seen at a slightly different angle on the published cover.