• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @MGsimba77 how you doing on this?  You got my curiosity peaked for sure.  hm

lol it was the 141 I tagged you on just the other day in the bronze spidey thread! I should have probably specified it would be there. Sorry bout that bro.

Stay tuned as always there'll be others! It sucks I can't really show these things to too many people in my immediate universe. No one knows diddly squat about comics around here xD. They don't know CGC from GMC. Can't appreciate the significance! 

20 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

lol it was the 141 I tagged you on just the other day in the bronze spidey thread! I should have probably specified it would be there. Sorry bout that bro.

Stay tuned as always there'll be others! It sucks I can't really show these things to too many people in my immediate universe. No one knows diddly squat about comics around here xD. They don't know CGC from GMC. Can't appreciate the significance! 

Yes, that is a beautiful copy.  I totally understand your point about sharing your Spider-Man world with those that don't know much about it.  I was somewhat lucky growing up, as my older brother started me down the path, but he quickly moved on to Science Fiction, and I stayed true to comic books.  There were a few comic readers in my high school, but I was already moving on to collector status, ordering archival supplies to store my books, by that time.  No one I knew in college was into comics except one kid, so I never brought them up that often.  Just the local comic book dealer to chat with.  One guy from my hometown who went to the same college as I was a secret FF collector.  He one time found a dead body on his weekly run to the comic book store, but played it like he was shopping a nearby store.  Guess he was afraid to admit to collecting.

Anyway, keep posting MGsimba77, especially amazing ASM copies.

44 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

One guy from my hometown who went to the same college as I was a secret FF collector.  He one time found a dead body on his weekly run to the comic book store, but played it like he was shopping a nearby store.  Guess he was afraid to admit to collecting.

Wow man that's heavy 😟! Where did you grow up? 

Yeah my older cousin was super into comics. He hooked me in unintentionally by virtue of having so many books laying around everywhere. Thor, ASM, Avengers Ghost rider, Cap all over the place. How could any little kid resist cracking some of those open? Sadly he passed away in a motorcycle accident in '09. He knew I was into the hobby thanks to him. He probably knew I stole a couple of beaters he likely read more than once :devil:. Still have those btw. He always talked about loving Steranko & Kirby being mostly into comics in the 80's.

Being much younger and of less means at the time however I hadn't gotten real serious about things. Just a few long boxes of raws from the LCS starting in '90... remember like it was yesterday, good times 

Edited by MGsimba77

11 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Wow man that's heavy 😟! Where did you grow up? 

Yeah my older cousin was super into comics. He hooked me in unintentionally by virtue of having so many books laying around everywhere. Thor, ASM, Avengers Ghost rider, Cap all over the place. How could any little kid resist cracking some of those open? Sadly he passed away in a motorcycle accident in '09. He knew I was into the hobby thanks to him. He probably knew I stole a couple of beaters he likely read more than once :devil:. Still have those btw. He always talked about loving Steranko & Kirby being mostly into comics in the 80's.

Being much younger and of less means at the time however I hadn't gotten real serious about things. Just a few long boxes of raws from the LCS starting in '90... remember like it was yesterday, good times 

I went to college in Memphis, TN.  

On 12/8/2018 at 8:24 PM, Spider-Variant said:

You guys are both on the right track.

The page I posted is in fact the original art as completed by Ross Andru , Frank Giacoia & Dave Hunt, but it is two story pages on one original art board.

The other ASM issues that I feel have the two story pages on one original art board are 131, 133-136, and 139.  

Here's a thread that goes into all the details.

Here's the crux of the matter:

Sometime around late 1974 (maybe earlier), Marvel tried cutting production costs and had artists draw two story pages on one art board. The below is borrowed from the previous thread (that thread wasn't about this subject matter):

Here is what Tony Isabella, (who worked for Marvel at that time), had to say:

"What you have is an attempt by Marvel to cut the actual story page count of their comics without making it obvious that they had done so. All of the issues produced during that period, which I think lasted less than a year, had a page like this. Editorial didn't want to cut the story count to 16 pages of our 32-page comic books.

We were told to plot our stories designating two pages which the artists would draw on a single board. Then the production department would blow them up to full size and run them as two separate pages. Some of us did double-page spreads. Some of us plotted so that the two pages would not appear next to each other and make it obvious that there was something not quite right about them.

Eventually, someone figured out that all the extra production work was costing Marvel as much as it was saving by paying for one less page."

Some info on the original art process we discussed a while back.

I was inspired by that Spider Molten Man original art to look for some more Ross Andru real life references.  I've exhausted a lot of them over the past year.  I did find one that was very simple, but at the same time shows the detail Ross went to.  

From that same molten man issue, Ross does a simple subway car leaving the station.  I just love the small details he puts in.  The step on the lower side of the car, the extenders that come out to prevent people falling between cars.  It's not an exact match, but I found this photo of a car on the Rockaway line, as I imagine Ross taking that train line home after work each day.

image.thumb.png.d4e1f70aba54be671c67e35012de72ff.png

4 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I'm not up on the kid's new lingo either, lol.  (:

Is Ross Andre any relation to Peter do you think?