• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,703 posts in this topic

Here's a few more real life comparisons for a lazy, lazy Sunday.  

The first, from ASM 179, is inside Radio Music City Hall as the Goblin and Silvermane are in a battle to the death, well nearly for Mr. Silvio Manfredi, lol.  Ross does a pretty good job of capturing the Grand Foyer, including the chandelier.

The second, from ASM 157, has a frantic Spider-Man racing up the Pan Am building in an attempt to stop Dr. Octopus from stealing Peter's beloved Aunt May.  I'm amazed at how many panels Ross rotated for dramatic effect throughout his stint on Amazing.  Looks like the Chrysler building is a little closer to the Pan Am building than Ross drew it.  Of course Ross didn't have an Internet to quickly search images on various topics.

image.thumb.png.be29b847e2f1428e0a1872db31903d77.png

image.thumb.png.6162bae66ff77c9681220d88b8fd66de.png

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Here's a few more real life comparisons for a lazy, lazy Sunday.  

The first, from ASM 179, is inside Radio Music City Hall as the Goblin and Silvermane are in a battle to the death, well nearly for Mr. Silvio Manfredi, lol.  Ross does a pretty good job of capturing the Grand Foyer, including the chandelier.

The second, from ASM 157, has a frantic Spider-Man racing up the Pan Am building in an attempt to stop Dr. Octopus from stealing Peter's beloved Aunt May.  I'm amazed at how many panels Ross rotated for dramatic effect throughout his stint on Amazing.  Looks like the Chrysler building is a little closer to the Pan Am building than Ross drew it.  Of course Ross didn't have an Internet to quickly search images on various topics.

image.thumb.png.be29b847e2f1428e0a1872db31903d77.png

image.thumb.png.6162bae66ff77c9681220d88b8fd66de.png

I just saw a "body language" game show quiz with Lucille Ball guest starring, and the rockets starred at the radio music hall Dec 27th 1932, I think, lol random fun but nice pics!

Thought I'd add :)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just saw a "body language" game show quiz with Lucille Ball guest starring, and the rockets starred at the radio music hall Dec 27th 1932, I think, lol random fun but nice pics!

Thought I'd add :)

I've walked by the Radio City Music Hall a couple of times when I lived in upstate NY and had driven down to the city.   I always had fun visiting NYC, but not sure I could ever live there.

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

I've walked by the Radio City Music Hall a couple of times when I lived in upstate NY and had driven down to the city.   I always had fun visiting NYC, but not sure I could ever live there.

Ya home is where the heart is lol

I always remember Joe Dirt

19 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

It's also been my brother's dream to go to 3 places new York, Italy and one other I forget....

Glad you were able to soak in the experience though :)

18 hours ago, CJT51501 said:

Hello - just found this thread - thank you for creating it.  ASM #173 was the first issue of Amazing that I ever owned (it was only Spidey Super Stories up to that point), so I have a big affinity for/attachment to Andru's work.  Glad to see others share that appreciation!

Awesome :) and welcome to the boards :headbang: 

On 8/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, CJT51501 said:

Hello - just found this thread - thank you for creating it.  ASM #173 was the first issue of Amazing that I ever owned (it was only Spidey Super Stories up to that point), so I have a big affinity for/attachment to Andru's work.  Glad to see others share that appreciation!

Totally missed this post.  Welcome.  Got any cool stories, images, etc.?

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Totally missed this post.  Welcome.  Got any cool stories, images, etc.?

Well, as I mentioned, I had only been reading Spidey Super Stories - my parents preferred those for me as a little kid because they were easier to read and didn’t have ads.  It was my grandmother who, not knowing any better, let me pick out ASM #173.  It was a perfect jumping on point and seem so epic at the time - Spidey gets shot, villain has some personality and reasonable motivation, intense battle ending with an apparent death - loved it all.

I saw the Andru art tracker - for what it’s worth, I can tell you where four of the pages from #173 are...😄87BBC2AA-04EE-4C9E-9725-D50479B4C2DC.thumb.jpeg.44901892679fb0d0faf690337652ed5e.jpeg37AA3C87-DF50-4568-80EA-0794A6072F0C.thumb.jpeg.da5c64948455509cb34cde7c909b5a61.jpeg02E83603-95E7-4964-AB30-9227163A8D24.thumb.jpeg.e600bc1e03f0211cbc7838acf8c2d112.jpeg

Edited by CJT51501

50 minutes ago, CJT51501 said:

Well, as I mentioned, I had only been reading Spidey Super Stories - my parents preferred those for me as a little kid because they were easier to read and didn’t have ads.  It was my grandmother who, not knowing any better, let me pick out ASM #173.  It was a perfect jumping on point and seem so epic at the time - Spidey gets shot, villain has some personality and reasonable motivation, intense battle ending with an apparent death - loved it all.

I saw the Andru art tracker - for what it’s worth, I can tell you where four of the pages from #173 are...😄87BBC2AA-04EE-4C9E-9725-D50479B4C2DC.thumb.jpeg.44901892679fb0d0faf690337652ed5e.jpeg37AA3C87-DF50-4568-80EA-0794A6072F0C.thumb.jpeg.da5c64948455509cb34cde7c909b5a61.jpeg02E83603-95E7-4964-AB30-9227163A8D24.thumb.jpeg.e600bc1e03f0211cbc7838acf8c2d112.jpeg

Man that is killer awesome, COOL!!

52 minutes ago, CJT51501 said:

I saw the Andru art tracker - for what it’s worth, I can tell you where four of the pages from #173 are...😄

Cool.  Yes, I've seen those four pages as well.

ASM #173 is one of the two 35 cent variants that my brother bought for me off the stands.  They were from Memphis because my grandma had suffered a stroke and that was the hospital where she was taken.  I think he actually bought the ASM 173 in the hospital gift shop.

9 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Cool.  Yes, I've seen those four pages as well.

ASM #173 is one of the two 35 cent variants that my brother bought for me off the stands.  They were from Memphis because my grandma had suffered a stroke and that was the hospital where she was taken.  I think he actually bought the ASM 173 in the hospital gift shop.

Miss those stands and spinner racks.  It was always a treat as a kid seeing the corner box and webbing sticking up from behind other comics.

I thought Andru was great extension of Romita and Kane before him.  In some respects his Spider-Man was similar, but there was an intensity in how he drew things that was unique.  In the pages above, I absolutely love the look and detail he gave the Molten Man.  I felt like you could feel the flaming metal dripping off of him.

People generally have an affinity for the period of their youth, but the 70’s were a wonderful pop culture nirvana.  Great time for ASM.

12 minutes ago, CJT51501 said:

Miss those stands and spinner racks.  It was always a treat as a kid seeing the corner box and webbing sticking up from behind other comics.

I thought Andru was great extension of Romita and Kane before him.  In some respects his Spider-Man was similar, but there was an intensity in how he drew things that was unique.  In the pages above, I absolutely love the look and detail he gave the Molten Man.  I felt like you could feel the flaming metal dripping off of him.

People generally have an affinity for the period of their youth, but the 70’s were a wonderful pop culture nirvana.  Great time for ASM.

I really liked the Jim Mooney inks on 173, and agree with you on the flaming metal.

It was a great time to be a kid collecting comics.  What a wonderful escape.

10 hours ago, CJT51501 said:

Hey, @CJT51501 forgot to ask you, do you own those four ASM 173 original art pages?  I agree with Adamantium that those are awesome.  

Here's some more real life comparisons from ASM 143 as Spider-Man recalls the tortuous route Robbie had to follow around Paris to appease JJJ's kidnappers. At first I thought maybe Ross used postcards of Paris in referencing his famous sites, but I really couldn't find any that matched well enough to draw a positive conclusion.  I thought of postcards because as I had posted earlier,  Ross's JFK for this issue and the next was produced using brochures and postcards as references.

For the Arc de Triomphe, it looks like Ross had the traffic going in the wrong direction, but who knows maybe it was switched.  Also, I just noticed Spidey on top of the truck behind the cab in that panel, never noticed that before in 40+ years of looking at this comic.

image.thumb.png.a44140f58dd7ce60dffc0e6e1a2cb147.png

image.thumb.png.b6df78ff41498d952075d98100eae7c9.png

image.thumb.png.e6f38931f120a283ed18a691a9f43e0d.png

image.thumb.png.cab2137c76b8d2f24474500a3e72d5c8.png