• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

Little stuff like this always intrigues me.

The three images below are from ASM 134.  The first is from a high quality reprint of page one, the second of the original art from page one, and the last is a Xerox made by Dave Hunt (Thanks Lee B.!) of his finished background inks.

The thing that sticks out to me is that the published page and original art have a larger image than the one Dave Hunt made.  It actually looks like someone decided the image needed to be extended.  If you look real closely there is a line (almost looks like white-out) across the original art page where the new art begins.  I placed an arrow on it.  Even on the published page it is nearly distinguishable.  

I find this interesting.  

image.thumb.png.bb3d2064debd0c3e823e5f1d9072ba32.png

Edited by Spider-Variant
grammar

Ok, Homage Time (you can't touch this).

What Ross Andru fan can name the issues that inspired these Amazing Spider-Girl homages with art by Ron Frenz and Sal Buscema?

First correct answer gets the coveted Ross Andru Thread No Prize award.

{Full Disclosure:  I did not find these but saw it on another site.  Just thought they were so neat they needed posted here.  I'm not sure the poster on the other site was the original finder either, because he mislabeled one of the Amazing Spider-Girl issue numbers and the Amazing Spider-Man issue numbers}

image.png.7d5e9611fb52a7288c2e5e03d81c3d26.png

image.png.fddc872b096f8fe3373bd0ba3448393e.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 8/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Little stuff like this always intrigues me.

The three images below are from ASM 134.  The first is from a high quality reprint of page one, the second of the original art from page one, and the last is a Xerox made by Dave Hunt (Thanks Lee B.!) of his finished background inks.

The thing that sticks out to me is that the published page and original art have a larger image than the one Dave Hunt made.  It actually looks like someone decided the image needed to be extended.  If you look real closely there is a line (almost looks like white-out) across the original art page where the new art begins.  I placed an arrow on it.  Even on the published page it is nearly distinguishable.  

I find this interesting.  

image.thumb.png.bb3d2064debd0c3e823e5f1d9072ba32.png

These are sweet‼️‼️👍😷😷

On 8/16/2020 at 2:11 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, Homage Time (you can't touch this).

What Ross Andru fan can name the issues that inspired these Amazing Spider-Girl homages with art by Ron Frenz and Sal Buscema?

First correct answer gets the coveted Ross Andru Thread No Prize award.

{Full Disclosure:  I did not find these but saw it on another site.  Just thought they were so neat they needed posted here.  I'm not sure the poster on the other site was the original finder either, because he mislabeled one of the Amazing Spider-Girl issue numbers and the Amazing Spider-Man issue numbers}

image.png.7d5e9611fb52a7288c2e5e03d81c3d26.png

image.png.fddc872b096f8fe3373bd0ba3448393e.png

Anyone? Anyone?  Where you at @Get Marwood & I, @bababooey @ADAMANTIUM @MGsimba77 ?

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I flipped through some Marvel Tales and didn't find any matches but it made me realize how long it's been since I read some of those issues from the 130's &140's.   I'll do more "research" later tonight. :cloud9:

The first one I would have definitely gotten right away.  The second would have taken some digging.  Ill post thr answers tomorrow sometime.

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

The first one I would have definitely gotten right away.  The second would have taken some digging.  Ill post thr answers tomorrow sometime.

I was flipping through and glancing at the Spidey action stuff for matches but reading the Peter Parker/supporting cast stuff slowed me down. :pullhair: 

Off the top of my head the first one reminded me of a Tarantula fight (it's not 134/135) or maybe Hammerhead and the second might be from the end of 171...my Marvel Tales end at 159 and I don't feel like peeling open mylars or digging out my OO beaters...since I'm already the points leader :acclaim:

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I was flipping through and glancing at the Spidey action stuff for matches but reading the Peter Parker/supporting cast stuff slowed me down. :pullhair: 

Off the top of my head the first one reminded me of a Tarantula fight (it's not 134/135) or maybe Hammerhead and the second might be from the end of 171...my Marvel Tales end at 159 and I don't feel like peeling open mylars or digging out my OO beaters...since I'm already the points leader :acclaim:

It does sound like tarantula lol

Good eye

Here are two real life references from the last page of ASM 166.  Ross features Rockefeller Plaza in ASM 168, so maybe he was just giving us a preview here in Issue 166.

St. Patrick's Cathedral was depicted in Issues 136 and 153 previously. 

image.thumb.png.1a943c931e8960c4653d6d158b7bacc1.png

image.thumb.png.d807685f5af09e70b68769831f217e1b.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

I'm thinking of reacquiring a copy of ASM 238.  My original copy came from the newsstand.  Are the tattoos important?  Should I only be looking at 9.8's or will 9.6's or 9.4's be saleable later on?

2 hours ago, piper said:

I'm thinking of reacquiring a copy of ASM 238.  My original copy came from the newsstand.  Are the tattoos important?  Should I only be looking at 9.8's or will 9.6's or 9.4's be saleable later on?

Stamps are important if you want a blue label or universal

Without stamps you get qualified green

9.8's if you can afford it (I can't lol)

are the way to go

Maybe even a newsstand copy to remind you of past times, I settled for a cheap newsstand that I'll still make profit on (7.0). I too remember getting them off the stands but don't know what happened to my original owner copy ha

It'll get even keel on price at 9.8 but I think it'll be the grade that moves first if it's anything like #300.

If you're comfortable at 9.6 at half the cost, it should move too though. :)

3 hours ago, piper said:

Hey @piper you may want to ask in the Bronze Age Spidey thread, you may get more responses.  We geeks here talk mostly Ross Andru.  :kidaround:

I haven't posted this in a little but it's a slow-moving project anyway.  I did find a few more scans of pages I hadn't see before, so I posted my updated version below.

For all the issues between ASM 125 and 185, including the GS issues, I have identified about 30% of the interior original art pages.  If I look at just the Ross Andru pages and leave out the GS issues, it jumps up to 32%.

Six full issues are identified and another just lacking 2 pages.

Unfortunately, I still have not seen an interior page from ASM 141, 149, 168, 174, and 175.

image.thumb.png.be4745c68b1c412b783277105e6cd202.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

When I originally saw this real-life Ross Andru reference from Amazing Spider-Man 172, I thought he had just rushed a quick drawing of the George Washington Bridge.  I opined that if Gil Kane could draw the Brooklyn Bridge and call it the George Washington Bridge, then Ross was entitled to draw a fast version of the GW.

But I was pleasantly wrong.  He actually drew the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, a suspension bridge connecting the New York City boroughs of Staten Island and Brooklyn.
I discovered this today for the first time, listed on another site as a "Ross Andru Tour of NYC", that included about a third of the ones I have depicted in this thread.  This was the only one that I did not have from their list and was happy to add to mine.

image.thumb.png.420eca43c3cf4b23976901511375c00a.png