• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

That Twinkie page tells a whole story in just one page‼️‼️👍

So much to love even about this simple ad.  First, it's classic Andru and most likely inked by Esposito.  It screams Amazing Spider-Man continuity, even for such a outlier of a page: just look at that sweater on Peter Parker.  

But my eyes are drawn to that fourth panel, as Spider-Man approaches the kidnappers hideout.  What kind of building is that?  What is in the background, it looks like a ferris wheel?   To me, there's another story.  

On 12/26/2020 at 6:10 PM, ganni said:

Great thread !  29 months  of posting .... have a twinkies break

ra1.jpg

Those guys *obviously* didn't know ol' Pete, as he NEVER had any money!

And Spidey just lets them go!!!!!? What the heck, Spidey?
Your aunt just gets kidnapped (a federal crime!) and you give 'em Twinkies and call it a day?!?!?!
(unless he's just thinking a freaking suitcase of Twinkies will kill them off)

On 12/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Definitely could be.  I guess I find myself digging for Ross's inspirations on pages like these.  The little detail Ross put in usually came from a real life subject matter.  

Someone should start a investigative thread on Ross Andru panels‼️👍👍😷

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

If the Trivia Question were "Where did Spider-Man first Kick Superman's A**?", then the answer would be outside the NY Coliseum (or maybe if you were a diehard DC fan you would say, it's a trick question, it never happened) on Columbus Circle in Manhattan.

At first, I didn't think I would really be into digging into Ross's references for the Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man Treasury.  Yeah, the Empire State Building, but that's kind of easy.  But the more I dug into it, the more I enjoyed it.  Yesterday, I put up the USS Maine Monument from this issue.  Today, let's look at what Ross portrayed when Spidey first met Superman.

The gang and Clark Kent's crew were attending the World News Convention in the New York Coliseum, when they first interacted.  How do we know that?  Well, page 30 tell us (I did all my research finding these places, then actually read the story and said, oh, it's right there in black and white).  Bedlam erupts as Superman disappears Lois and MJ.  Not standing for it, Peter changes to Spidey and rushes to the roof, where he encounters the Man of Steel for the first time.

Ross depicts a good outside shot of the Coliseum later in the issue, which is my first reference.  My photograph shows this view from the USS Maine Monument.  I assumed Spidey knocked him further in those pics yesterday, but hell, he is Superman.

I didn't find many references to the interior of the NY Coliseum, but the escalators Ross drew were spot on.  

My next reference is of Columbus Circle itself, and you can see Ross really wanted to get it correct.  This montage shows the relationship of the action as it would translate to real life.

The building with a GW on it is the Gulf Western Building.  It was originally the headquarters for the Gulf Western company.  It's been changed today.

The cool building Spider-Man gets knocked through is now the Museum of Arts and Design, and was a real museum back in the day.  The building itself was simply called 2 Columbus Circle and has been modernized as well.

Lastly, Ross throws in an apartment building, 240 Central Park South, it add to the location.  It's little stuff like this that makes Ross the best.

I still have to do the Spider-Man stuff from the front of the book, but the Spider-Man vs Superman battle was a lot of fun to track down.

image.thumb.png.bd136f7e6de17ec77fdfe2ef68651050.png

image.thumb.png.28d57ae66827bb8ce62ffb4b45907c62.png

image.thumb.png.eab5b8d331fe03608f5fd3647f200c55.png

image.thumb.png.4b71b3b275e44b74df891b4d2840f412.png

image.thumb.png.3db2edf7e40bba9e0394180fb81f08f0.png

image.thumb.png.efe7b4c173ec9f93ffe31891e1a935e4.png

If I could push the "like" button on these posts more than once, I would! :)

I still really need to read this book!

28 minutes ago, Schmakt said:
2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

If the Trivia Question were "Where did Spider-Man first Kick Superman's A**?", then the answer would be outside the NY Coliseum (or maybe if you were a diehard DC fan you would say, it's a trick question, it never happened) on Columbus Circle in Manhattan.

At first, I didn't think I would really be into digging into Ross's references for the Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man Treasury.  Yeah, the Empire State Building, but that's kind of easy.  But the more I dug into it, the more I enjoyed it.  Yesterday, I put up the USS Maine Monument from this issue.  Today, let's look at what Ross portrayed when Spidey first met Superman.

The gang and Clark Kent's crew were attending the World News Convention in the New York Colise liked.  , when they first interacted.  How do we know that?  Well, page 30 tell us (I did all my research finding these places, then actually read the story and said, oh, it's right there in black and white).  Bedlam erupts as Superman disappears Lois and MJ.  Not standing for it, Peter changes to Spidey and rushes to the roof, where he encounters the Man of Steel for the first time.

Ross depicts a good outside shot of the Coliseum later in the issue, which is my first reference.  My photograph shows this view from the USS Maine Monument.  I assumed Spidey knocked him further in those pics yesterday, but hell, he is Superman.

I didn't find many references to the interior of the NY Coliseum, but the escalators Ross drew were spot on.  

My next reference is of Columbus Circle itself, and you can see Ross really wanted to get it correct.  This montage shows the relationship of the action as it would translate to real life.

The building with a GW on it is the Gulf Western Building.  It was originally the headquarters for the Gulf Western company.  It's been changed today.

The cool building Spider-Man gets knocked through is now the Museum of Arts and Design, and was a real museum back in the day.  The building itself was simply called 2 Columbus Circle and has been modernized as well.

Lastly, Ross throws in an apartment building, 240 Central Park South, it add to the location.  It's little stuff like this that makes Ross the best.

I still have to do the Spider-Man stuff from the front of the book, but the Spider-Man vs Superman battle was a lot of fun to track down.

image.thumb.png.bd136f7e6de17ec77fdfe2ef68651050.png

image.thumb.png.28d57ae66827bb8ce62ffb4b45907c62.png

image.thumb.png.eab5b8d331fe03608f5fd3647f200c55.png

image.thumb.png.4b71b3b275e44b74df891b4d2840f412.png

image.thumb.png.3db2edf7e40bba9e0394180fb81f08f0.png

image.thumb.png.efe7b4c173ec9f93ffe31891e1a935e4.png

Expand  

If I could push the "like" button on these posts more than once, I would! :)

I still really need to read this book!

+1

that's why I loled your post and so on lol

2 birds and all well make it 3 birds

Now we just need the man of steel to show up in Texas so that he can defend the Alamo and we'd have spidey slinging fajitas in no time! :banana:

Yes @Spider-Variant so much fun and knowledge! Come for the web stay for the pics! Come and get it!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I went to correct loled  to liked ...... as I meant to type liked your post......

And this is what I ended up with :roflmao:

Screenshot_20210115-152409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM