• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

It's in the mail my friend. ^^   The clone of Gwen Stacy is correct! If my memory serves me, the gag was in reference to Peter Parker being in mid-jump from the last panel of Amazing Spider-Man 144.  But man, I could be full of sh... on that one. 

image.png.00608a63f0218003ebb3391147bacd1c.png

image.thumb.png.7d212488e923d6246cedba98fc6262cd.png

It shows that he had a sense of self deprecating humour :grin:

The more I look at this, the more I think that the Gwen side of the door was the actual pencils for that last panel of ASM 144.  It matches the finished page exactly.  Also, notice the vertical line that separates the Peter Parker side and the Gwen side, almost like perhaps the gag was an overlay on the the original page.  Or perhaps I am just more interested in Andru's work from yesteryear today than I am my own work today, lol.

9 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

image.png.0a231b7d4577a1969cdf70d60f4b3c04.png

Whatcha think Marwood?

Definitely.  You can clearly see the break in the sketch panel. Rather than draw it all twice, he added the spoof Peter to the original prelim. The detail around Gwen gives it away - there's no way he'd recreate it so precisely for a send up.  

It's funny that you posted this particular picture @Spider-Variant. As a kid I read these copies scores of times and know so many pictures 'off by heart'. I can remember thinking how silly it looked that Peter was effectively levitating. I loved the Andru run. I can read it over and over and enjoy it every time.  Warts and all! 

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's funny that you posted this particular picture @Spider-Variant. As a kid I read these copies scores of times and know so many pictures 'off by heart'. I can remember thinking how silly it looked that Peter was effectively levitating. I loved the Andru run. I can read it over and over and enjoy it every time.  Warts and all! 

I missed this issue, but I can so relate to you on Issue 145, I know ever panel by heart.  Loved, loved that book with it's bright red cover, Gwen, Green Goblin flashback, Scorpion, Aunt May about to kick the bucket again, it had it all.

Edited by Spider-Variant

11 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

image.thumb.png.99f334ec562e7b1b340733ee88a2f6ee.png

Long blue dress turns into short red dress. I remember that. Forgivable, as she looks hot. And who can forget that Parker 'nuts' face :headbang:

Speaking of continuation issues in art, this one always bothered me.

Tarantula clearly goes through the center of the can on the billboard sign in ASM 148, where his pointed shoes embed into the water tower.  Yet, four panels later (and on the same page), he is knocked free, with water gushing from the top of the can on the billboard sign, like a tasty brew had just been opened.  Always bothered me.

image.thumb.png.bd9850d59dceac16c2c8896e962ac5e2.png

30 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Speaking of continuation issues in art, this one always bothered me.

Tarantula clearly goes through the center of the can on the billboard sign in ASM 148, where his pointed shoes embed into the water tower.  Yet, four panels later (and on the same page), he is knocked free, with water gushing from the top of the can on the billboard sign, like a tasty brew had just been opened.  Always bothered me.

image.thumb.png.bd9850d59dceac16c2c8896e962ac5e2.png

Took me a minute to figure out what was going on lol so he didn't go all the way through because the water well was on the other side, which gushes and sends him reeling back the way that he came? Spidies reaction is classic lol water shall be they tomb! Game, set, and match ;)

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Actually Spidey's fists liberate the Tarantula from the water tower.  :banana:

image.png.1f930558fd1e5104f1083d3139a76318.png

Intersting (and awesome)! it does appear to be correct in that frame... at first I thought that the water had simply made the shoe bigger, but what you point out is that it is in a completely different spot..... which definitely seems accurate...

I bet you Andru didn't get the idea for "spewing soda can" until afterwards :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, who knows where this Ross Andru panel is from?

image.png.5b242322c0546b9f4adcb69843beaae1.png

I'll let someone else have a crack at it first :shy:

On 11/28/2018 at 1:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I missed this issue, but I can so relate to you on Issue 145, I know ever panel by heart.  Loved, loved that book with it's bright red cover, Gwen, Green Goblin flashback, Scorpion, Aunt May about to kick the bucket again, it had it all.

I've been having a fierce debate with myself on whether to submit this cbcs copy to CGC for the crossover promotion. If I do I'll definitely have it screened first. I'm not sure how honest they'll be as in will they honestly say that it'll have a fair chance at a downgrade? It would be in their interest to say everything is worth a shot at regrading. 

I love those new holders but if there's a downgrade I'll just die! I'm just not sure yet (shrug)???

IMG_20180914_155035.jpg