• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Oh man, knew I would forget someone.  And he actually inked two issues as well, ASM 125 & ASM 151.

1.  Romita

2.  Giacoia

3.  Mooney

4.  Esposito

5.  McLeod

6.  DeZuniga

As great a Spidey artist as he was himself, do you not think that Romita basically Romitarised Andrus work? He never drew Spidey with the original Andru eyes that other inkers preserved. I prefer the inkers who kept the Andru quirks myself. 

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

As great a Spidey artist as he was himself, do you not think that Romita basically Romitarised Andrus work? He never drew Spidey with the original Andru eyes that other inkers preserved. I prefer the inkers who kept the Andru quirks myself. 

Yes, I do think you are correct in that Romita did heavily influenced the finished product.  And I probably ranked this pair the highest because I do love Romita's work so much.

I would have to say the artist combination I felt best exemplifies Spider-Man to me was Romita pencils and Romita inks, during his prime.  See ASM 108/109.  

My favorite Spider-Man artist will always be Ross though.

4 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I do think you are correct in that Romita did heavily influenced the finished product.  And I probably ranked this pair the highest because I do love Romita's work so much.

I would have to say the artist combination I felt best exemplifies Spider-Man to me was Romita pencils and Romita inks, during his prime.  See ASM 108/109.  

My favorite Spider-Man artist will always be Ross though.

I agree. Romita was the best at Spidey without doubt. Difficult to argue against that. But I have an affinity with Andru. Something that you can't put into words. 

20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I agree. Romita was the best at Spidey without doubt. Difficult to argue against that. But I have an affinity with Andru. Something that you can't put into words. 

I think he was an incredibly story teller, something I am now more impressed with after seeing the slim plots that Stan and other writers gave him.  I think he did have a quirkiness that endeared himself to me as well.  The great lengths he went to portray the real world of the city he lived in was simply amazing.

It harkens me back to this quote "That's the difference between Ross and most guys.  He didn't know how to fake.  He loved what he did, and didn't care how much he had to bleed to do it"  Mike Esposito

Fred's splash that he posted yesterday got me thinking about ASM 144.  Here's a random post for no other reason than because it is on my mind.  I know I posted a similar comparison, but I updated it a while back.  The neat thing is that when I placed some of the images from the comic into the images of the postcard Ross used to model his version after, the building support near JJJ lines up perfectly.

image.thumb.png.bca48e2b2d97a39ce6403f41d31defc3.png

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I started collecting Spidey with Andru as the artist.

I love his work.

It's hard for me to place these three in order: Romita Sr. /  Andru  / Gil Kane

I also enjoy the heck out of Ditko and Romita Jr.

Depending upon the day, I could rank any one of those 5 as my top Spidey artist.

Just now, HighVoltage said:

I love his work.

Depending upon the day, I could rank any one of those 5 as my top Spidey artist.

I know what you mean. I used to think Gil Kane's work was very exotic. Especially those up the nose shots. There's a handful of artists who I'm comfortable with doing Spidey and most exist in the first 200 issues. The only recent artist I liked was Ron Garney on the back in black storyline. McFarlane and Bagley and all that lot I've never liked. I like the artists who draw with realism. So few do that nowadays. 

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I know what you mean. I used to think Gil Kane's work was very exotic. Especially those up the nose shots. There's a handful of artists who I'm comfortable with doing Spidey and most exist in the first 200 issues. The only recent artist I liked was Ron Garney on the back in black storyline. McFarlane and Bagley and all that lot I've never liked. I like the artists who draw with realism. So few do that nowadays. 

Bagley's work grew on me... but he seemed to really 'short-hand' the work toward the end of his tenure, and I didn't enjoy it as much.

McFarlane was a much-needed shot in the arm for Spidey, but he was always a bit too inconsistent for me with his cartoony style. He had some amazing panels and splash pages & he definitely broke out of the typical 4/6/8 panel style of storytelling that had kind of gone stale.

Neither of these two gentlemen are my favorites, though.

I do like Garney's style. But my favorite stuff of his to look at is that first run on Cap with Mark Waid.

11 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Bagley's work grew on me... but he seemed to really 'short-hand' the work toward the end of his tenure, and I didn't enjoy it as much.

McFarlane was a much-needed shot in the arm for Spidey, but he was always a bit too inconsistent for me with his cartoony style. He had some amazing panels and splash pages & he definitely broke out of the typical 4/6/8 panel style of storytelling that had kind of gone stale.

Neither of these two gentlemen are my favorites, though.

I do like Garney's style. But my favorite stuff of his to look at is that first run on Cap with Mark Waid.

I always found Bagley's work boring. Dependable and boring. Every issue the same. I can understand the fuss over McFarlane. But I look at his work and want to claw my eyes out. It's a personal thing but I just hate it and always have. Especially his massive eyes. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Andru is a great storyteller. In addition, there's the nostaugic feeling.

He and JRJR are my favorites ever. :)

2 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I love his work.

My top 10

JRJR

Ross Andru

John Romita

Gil Kane

Jim Mooney

Sal Buscema

John Byrne

Ron Frenz

Keith Pollard

Marcos Martin

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I can understand the fuss over McFarlane

Maybe its just me but I can never understand the McFarlane fuss.  Its like that era, everybody looks the same.  And the comic panels are like picture books.  And its just me.

4 hours ago, ganni said:

Maybe its just me but I can never understand the McFarlane fuss.  Its like that era, everybody looks the same.  And the comic panels are like picture books.  And its just me.

I sort of meant that I can understand the fuss from a historical perspective - the breath of fresh air thing - but the art itself I just can't get on with. I can see the technical skill and all that, but the end product just grates on me. It's funny how some artists can put so much detail and effort into their work, but create an end product that is so stylised that there will inevitably be some that will go 'yuck'. 

10 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I loved the early JR Jr but his second round on ASM wasn't as enjoyable to me.  

I'm the opposite Reggie. I found the early JR Jr was trying too hard to be like Senior. 

Whilst being a fan of realism, I did like his art around the ASM 570 time - example here:

RCO009_1471335283.thumb.jpg.0593ec8640be105bae01462da0c0c476.jpg

I liked his spindly Spidey. Then he seemed to lose it a bit and, in a way, I think he almost forgot what his style was. It became this curious mash up of old school simplicity with modern techniques. And it just didn't look right somehow. 

I found this online while browsing, funnily enough:

2vf3wdgzsbo51.thumb.png.7fe039fda24387064fa6a096861e7287.png

On 4/17/2021 at 12:14 PM, Garystar said:

Will do, although grandkids have to stop with us a few days so if I start now it will take me until they leave. 

Have them pesky kids gone yet Gary? :)

5 minutes ago, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I Spindly Spidey in the late 70s

pp38.jpg

There's a penalty for posting Milgrom, Ganni :taptaptap:

Go and stand on the naughty step for an hour.