• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

(:  :acclaim:  B|

I had an inkling! I watched a lot of Carson wayyyy back in the day!

I'm laughing a little because I think it was a very poor choice for a magazine to be called Up Your Nose and feature a character called Joe Snow.  Bad choice.

11 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I'm laughing a little because I think it was a very poor choice for a magazine to be called Up Your Nose and feature a character called Joe Snow.  Bad choice.

It's one of those 'insular' type things, where it sounds good on paper or during an initial set-up or what we call 'In-the-building' at work.

But when you run it by someone outside your so-called circle, you do a face-palm because they just puncture your idea/name/logo/phrase in 5 seconds and you didn't even see it.

They should've just done a tiny bit of R&D outside the building!  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

It's one of those 'insular' type things, where it sounds good on paper or during an initial set-up or what we call 'In-the-building' at work.

But when you run it by someone outside your so-called circle, you do a face-palm because they just puncture your idea/name/logo/phrase in 5 seconds and you didn't even see it.

They should've just done a tiny bit of R&D outside the building!  :facepalm:

I think you said it very nicely.  If you read that Dan Best article I linked, Mike Esposito's wife wanted to call it Get Lost II, after the first attempt of the two into self-publishing.  Mike probably suggested Up Your Nose on a whim, and Ross said, sure, whatever.  It was then unfortunate that Michelle Esposito had a friend named Joe Snow. 

If any of these things didn't happen on this magazine, Ross and Mike probably would have never worked on ASM.  

19 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I think you said it very nicely.  If you read that Dan Best article I linked, Mike Esposito's wife wanted to call it Get Lost II, after the first attempt of the two into self-publishing.  Mike probably suggested Up Your Nose on a whim, and Ross said, sure, whatever.  It was then unfortunate that Michelle Esposito had a friend named Joe Snow. 

If any of these things didn't happen on this magazine, Ross and Mike probably would have never worked on ASM.  

I was thinking the same thing (that if the magazine had had some success, Ross & Mike might have not worked on Spidey).

I wonder who might have been able to step in and draw Spidey at that time if Andru hadn't been available?

On 5/12/2021 at 4:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

lf.thumb.jpg.880d38a8666e308372cd55f5484916b3.jpg

1789569095_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.d1fab07b0e117fefbd19d7774e52a38f.jpg

Hey Steve, I asked many time if we ever knew of Ross attending a comic convention.

Here is the answer from that Dan Best article:  From Mike Esposito "We ended up at a convention, Ross and I, and we were trying to sell all the original art for whatever we could get. Finally we got rid of them for about $10 a page, anything we could get."

Of course that was pre-Amazing Spider-Man days....

12 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Hey Steve, I asked many time if we ever knew of Ross attending a comic convention.

Here is the answer from that Dan Best article:  From Mike Esposito "We ended up at a convention, Ross and I, and we were trying to sell all the original art for whatever we could get. Finally we got rid of them for about $10 a page, anything we could get."

Of course that was pre-Amazing Spider-Man days....

:eek:

I wonder what he'd make of today's market. 

13 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I posted this before, but it bothered me, so I dug deeper.  I must not have a life, lol.

Please don’t change anything about your life (or lack thereof), because I really enjoy your comparisons between Andru’s art and the structures of the day.  Completely fascinating!

2 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

Please don’t change anything about your life (or lack thereof), because I really enjoy your comparisons between Andru’s art and the structures of the day.  Completely fascinating!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :tink: 

image.png

14 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I posted this before, but it bothered me, so I dug deeper.  I must not have a life, lol.

Here is Ross's depiction of the waterfront near the 41st street Con-Ed Power Plant, where Spidey begins his search for the Shocker in Amazing Spider-Man 152.  What bothered me was the building (highlighted on the comic panel) that disappeared behind the coal conveyer structure, which is simply a lattice of metal and should have been see-through, except for the steel girders.

I think between Ross, Mike, and the colorist something got missed.  I believe the line (as seen more clearly on the original art and highlighted below)  above the conveyer was part of the building.  That means the entire area behind the conveyer should have been building, and colored a different color.

There is also a little note by Ross below this panel reading "east river".  So, it's nice to know I got the right place in my comparison.  The power plant is actually across the FDR, so I think Ross took a little creative liberties to work it into the scene.

image.thumb.png.0aa40323b82e17a5a928bab892ec381a.png

I love the inks. :)

1 hour ago, Off Panel said:

Thanks for the kind words Off Panel and Happy Birthday (according to Adamantium).

It's been fun digging into these.  I'm running out of material, I will admit.  I think there are a few more out there, but not many.

52 minutes ago, Winterboy said:

I love the inks. :)

I usually prefer Giacoia but Mike Esposito does a great job with this issue.  One of his best on ASM IMHO.

On second reflection, Dave Hunt probably did most of the inking in this panel.  He probably played a significant role in why I liked the inks so well in this issue too.

Edited by Spider-Variant

34 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for the kind words Off Panel and Happy Birthday (according to Adamantium).

It's been fun digging into these.  I'm running out of material, I will admit.  I think there are a few more out there, but not many.

Sure is fun to see the research and finds, I can think of lazier ideas to spend a couple of hours, and we all get a kick out of it  :tink:

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 

image.png

If you can see in the pic, it's got a little birthday cake next to his avatar at the bottom, usually happens when it's the birthday 🎂 so I cross my fingers and hope they have a goodn  :whee:

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sure is fun to see the research and finds, I can think of lazier ideas to spend a couple of hours, and we all get a kick out of it  :tink:

If you can see in the pic, it's got a little birthday cake next to his avatar at the bottom, usually happens when it's the birthday 🎂 so I cross my fingers and hope they have a goodn  :whee:

I see that now...

Never noticed it before.  

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

First of all, thanks for the birthday wishes, ADAMANTIUM! It is indeed my birthday and it’s been a good one.

Secondly, thanks for sharing your trick. A few board members have wished me a happy birthday today and each time I’m completely taken aback.”How did they KNOW?!?”

Now that I’m in the know, I can spread the birthday cheer to others.

2 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

First of all, thanks for the birthday wishes, ADAMANTIUM! It is indeed my birthday and it’s been a good one.

Secondly, thanks for sharing your trick. A few board members have wished me a happy birthday today and each time I’m completely taken aback.”How did they KNOW?!?”

Now that I’m in the know, I can spread the birthday cheer to others.

Lol oh wow, if it seemed out of nowhere it was with the best of intentions,  but I could see how it could catch you off guard! :eek:

Glad it was resolved and the best of wishes for you! The icon by avatar comes from entering your b'day into your cgc profile on the boards, still SURPRISED!  We gave you a surprise reception and it was meant for cheer!  :tink:

One goal I had for my birthday today was to add my one hundredth post to the boards, which will be this one. Here's what the critics are saying:

"At last! The great, long-awaited 100th Anniversary Post! With the wildest shock-ending of all time!"

"This is it! The spectacular long-awaited 100th Anniversary Post! Featuring: Off Panel! ADMANTIUM! Spider-Variant!"

"Special! Epoch-making 100th Post! GUARANTEE: You'll never read a post quite like -- That's What She Said!" *

*Okay, yes. I've got a long way to go before I catch greggy. I'm not getting cocky. Still, one hundred posts is a milestone for me seeing as how I'm so quiet and unopinionated you know.

1 minute ago, Off Panel said:

One goal I had for my birthday today was to add my one hundredth post to the boards, which will be this one. Here's what the critics are saying:

"At last! The great, long-awaited 100th Anniversary Post! With the wildest shock-ending of all time!"

"This is it! The spectacular long-awaited 100th Anniversary Post! Featuring: Off Panel! ADMANTIUM! Spider-Variant!"

"Special! Epoch-making 100th Post! GUARANTEE: You'll never read a post quite like -- That's What She Said!" *

*Okay, yes. I've got a long way to go before I catch greggy. I'm not getting cocky. Still, one hundred posts is a milestone for me seeing as how I'm so quiet and unopinionated you know.

YyyyyyyyaaaaaHHHHOOOOOOO!

:banana:

As long as it's not too big a habit of course 

It's good to goof off and let loose! 

Screenshot_20210521-214939_Samsung Internet.jpg