• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, walclark said:

Did you mean “if” you get a response?

I'm old fashioned and believe you should always respond to any good intentioned contact, however tricky the subject matter. I'm sure he will respond. 

28 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Very nice e-mail @Get Marwood & I! Here's hoping for a response

:) :wishluck:

4 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Exactly. Mylar, acid free board and (most importantly) ideal storage conditions. Somehow the idea has propagated over the years that slabbing is superior for long term preservation. 

Yeah, most of my slabs are yellow label, so I like the fact that they're authenticated.  My few blue labels are old keys.  Personally I think if you're buying a book of value, you want a blue label (vs a raw book in mylar) to ensure grade, quality, original (ie non-restored).  If you have moderns that are of some reasonable value that you just intend to hold in your collection, mylar all the way.  The only purpose of sending a book off for a blue label in my opinion is to assign a grade to it for resale purposes.

Thank you for starting this thread and including the poll. I have been receiving my latest waves back from CGC (More than 90 comics) and 90% of them have the NRs. On my online store, I have included the phrase "This graded comic may have the "Newton Ring" effect to some degree when viewing at an angle, which does not affect the grade or condition of the comic" - this of course after complaints recently after purchase. The effect varies - but many of them look like this Spawn 1 at an angle. Unacceptable is an understatement as not only a collector, but a seller, buyer, etc.

Spawn Newton 1.jpg

Spawn Newton 2.jpg

I meant to add that I tried using two small suction cups to pull the back and front panels apart - which worked until I removed the suction cups. No air escapes these cases and the front and back cover end up touching the panels again to no avail. 

17 hours ago, Acegraphix said:

I meant to add that I tried using two small suction cups to pull the back and front panels apart - which worked until I removed the suction cups. No air escapes these cases and the front and back cover end up touching the panels again to no avail. 

I live in the Southeastern US. Your observation gives me pause when I consider humid air forming inside the case, with no current to pull it out. 

Edited by DavidTheDavid

I've had confirmation from the admin team that they have brought this poll to the attention of the management team so we can rest assured now that they are aware of it. 

That's my last input into the matter - the ball is now in their court. 

24 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've had confirmation from the admin team that they have brought this poll to the attention of the management team so we can rest assured now that they are aware of it. 

That's my last input into the matter - the ball is now in their court. 

Thanks for pursuing this topic and handling it so cordially with the CGC folks. I do hope that we hear something. I am sitting on a submission because of this and the shipping changes.

I surmise that many collectors who purchased CGC-slabbed collectibles have unvoiced complaints about this, so I hope this thread is not dismissed as the grumblings of a small number of forum-goers who don't represent the broader CGC audience.

I haven't submitted in a few months and figured they would have had this solved.  I have 3 shipments out now and hopefully they figure it out.  As someone mentioned you need good eye appeal for resale.  I have had returns due to these damn rings in the past.  Enough returns and it gets to the point that I am better off taking the small price difference that CBCS brings. 

14 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:
15 hours ago, Acegraphix said:

I love in the Southeastern US. Your observation gives me pause when I consider humid air forming inside the case, with no current to pull it out. 

Drill a small hole in each side of the case 

Spoiler

(:

Edited by Jerkfro

CGC approved me sending back some books with bad NRs and I just received them back today. Rings are still there, but vastly improved. However, I noticed there is this plastic tab insert on the inside of the mylar/slab ... which I've never seen before and not present in any of my other CGC cases. Does anyone know what this is and whether it's related to their efforts to alleviate the NRs? It looks weird like someone's forgot to remove a tab ... but my greater concern is that the plastic tab will leave a lasting impression on the cover, damaging it. Anyone?

Mylar Tab Insert.jpeg

28 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

CGC approved me sending back some books with bad NRs and I just received them back today. Rings are still there, but vastly improved. However, I noticed there is this plastic tab insert on the inside of the mylar/slab ... which I've never seen before and not present in any of my other CGC cases. Does anyone know what this is and whether it's related to their efforts to alleviate the NRs? It looks weird like someone's forgot to remove a tab ... but my greater concern is that the plastic tab will leave a lasting impression on the cover, damaging it. Anyone?

Mylar Tab Insert.jpeg

It won't cause damage, some have them and some don't,is all that I know. I'm not sure why some have them, but this points to a reason perhaps it is Newton Rings....

But even some of the OLDER slabs had these tabs.....

46 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Mylar Tab Insert.jpeg

Does anyone know what this is and whether it's related to their efforts to alleviate the NRs?

Yes.  To my knowledge, CGC uses three types of cases, each with varying inside dimensions, to accommodate all the different thicknesses of comic books (See illustration below).  14A and 14B have the same outside dimension (case thickness), while 14C has a larger outside dimension (case thickness).

JgP1toJ.png

When a book is too thick for one type case, but too thin for the next size up, they use a spacer/wedge to stabilize the book inside the case with the larger inside dimension.  This is a very common CGC practice.

In your situation, I would guess that CGC attempted to reduce the newton rings by going to the next size up (larger inside dimension) and using a spacer/wedge for stabilization.  It sounds like they were at least partially successful.

my greater concern is that the plastic tab will leave a lasting impression on the cover, damaging it. Anyone?

In my experience, spacer/wedges have been used by CGC without damaging the book inside in the vast majority of the instances where they have been used.  There are, however, exceptions.  In the example below, the spacer/wedge is damaging the book by cutting directly into the cover and crushing the opposite side of the book against the inner holder.

gHk6oZe.jpg

C8ikT08.jpg

eYHYwHI.jpg

So, to summarize, spacer/wedges are very common with CGC encapsulation, and it would be very unlikely that your book is being damaged directly by it.

Having said that, if you expose ANY encapsulated book from ANY grading company to sufficient force (such as one might expect from ANY package delivery service), all bets are off.  :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ditch. That makes total sense ... and now that I compare what they sent back to me ... the cases are in fact thicker. Which is a bit of a bummer for me, as I was hoping they could re-holder with better results in the same size case. I didn't necessarily want them sending me back thicker ones ... just getting bulkier. Especially if the rest of my collection is one size. And the more I look at it, the wedge is just as much of a distraction for me ... not a clean view. This is making me so sad ...

32 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Thanks, Ditch. That makes total sense ... and now that I compare what they sent back to me ... the cases are in fact thicker. Which is a bit of a bummer for me, as I was hoping they could re-holder with better results in the same size case. I didn't necessarily want them sending me back thicker ones ... just getting bulkier. Especially if the rest of my collection is one size. And the more I look at it, the wedge is just as much of a distraction for me ... not a clean view. This is making me so sad ...

Yeah...I hear ya.  :( 

I am wondering if it is simply that they seal the slabs now, as older slabs were open along the sides it reduced the pressure.

Could they continue to use the new clearer slab design which we like, and just not seal them up?

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I am wondering if it is simply that they seal the slabs now, as older slabs were open along the sides it reduced the pressure.

Could they continue to use the new clearer slab design which we like, and just not seal them up?

That re-introduces a liability they surely had in mind prior to these particular slab kits, doesn't it? Tampering with ill intent.

I find the first use of "newton rings" on the boards by Ditch Farenheit here in bigstthread Big change at CGC, from September of 2014.

Ditch references  this thread from February 2014, titled "Moisture in CGC Case.

Have we really lived with these for four years? Is it reasonable to think that after four years and how many case iterations that we will see this actually addressed?