• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

Just now, Black_Adam said:

That is just fugly. How can CGC promote a "crystal-clear...state-of-the-art holder" and then send a customer that :censored:

They agreed to reholder this one at no charge today. The one they refused to had slightly less newton effect but fingerprints all over the inner well combined, made it appear worse.

Guess it just depends who you speak to over there.

28 minutes ago, I like pie said:

They agreed to reholder this one at no charge today. The one they refused to had slightly less newton effect but fingerprints all over the inner well combined, made it appear worse.

Guess it just depends who you speak to over there.

I obviously talked to the wrong person (or need to take a picture that better depicts the severity of the issue on my slab) because the rep I e-mailed this image to told me this was "normal and acceptable."

2095233189_ASM50.thumb.jpg.a4d4b2e816626

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I obviously talked to the wrong person (or need to take a picture that better depicts the severity of the issue on my slab) because the rep I e-mailed this image to told me this was "normal and acceptable."

2095233189_ASM50.thumb.jpg.a4d4b2e816626

given this post, that is why I didn't even try..... :pullhair:..... I don't even have my own account.... I submit through my LCS.... even if CGC "did it for free", how can I ask my LCS owner across town to take the time to send it for me out of his schedule just because there is a supposed "time limit" on CGC's mistake to reholder for free? and at no cost to me? or the LCS owner? 

Let's get some feedback to resolve whatever is happening in QC!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
I'm sure the LCS owner would be ecstatic!

CGC Comics Fans (Closed Facebook Group)

Let's talk about Newton Rings. My latest batch from CGC was pretty bad. It was quick turnaround, but I feel like QC is letting this slide... What is going on there?

I sold one of my slabs on eBay and now the buyer wants a partial return due to the issue. It's not an issue of defect or damage, but he wants to re-holder it and wants me to comp him for it. I've already said it probably wont help so the best I can do is a return.

:(

32 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Check out sales threads on copper/modern here. There are newly slabbed comics for sale that I wouldn't but because they present so poorly.

I saw that. I thought for a second about posting them here but didn't want to thread cra p. I think its beating a dead horse at this point. No official response to this thread.

2 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I saw that. I thought for a second about posting them here but didn't want to thread cra p. I think its beating a dead horse at this point. No official response to this thread.

Just an unofficial non-response. I lack confidence that CGC has any intent to address this.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

CGC Comics Fans (Closed Facebook Group)

Let's talk about Newton Rings. My latest batch from CGC was pretty bad. It was quick turnaround, but I feel like QC is letting this slide... What is going on there?

I sold one of my slabs on eBay and now the buyer wants a partial return due to the issue. It's not an issue of defect or damage, but he wants to re-holder it and wants me to comp him for it. I've already said it probably wont help so the best I can do is a return.

:(

If a buyer can and will return a slab for tiny scuff marks, you can expect returns on slabs with newton rings.

And if a slab can be returned for newton rings, with the seller eating the cost of shipping both ways, or offering partial refunds, sellers will try to protect themselves by disclosing them as we see here:

Buy/Sell Comics (Public Facebook Group)

GBRTxEM.png

On 8/18/2018 at 6:11 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Just an unofficial non-response. I lack confidence that CGC has any intent to address this.

Well, I guess they should say *something*.  But no, I don't think the slabs will change for awhile.  Irrespective of the vote here, most people just don't care.  Hell, I voted above to fix the problem, but I don't really mind the Newton rings that much.  It's pretty easy to angle the book so you don't see them.  (Usually straight on.)  At first, it was jarring, because I'm used to the old design - or the CBCS cases - that are crystal clear.  But you get used to the rings effect pretty quick, and I find I can look past them.

I'm surprised some people still think it's some sort of oil, or gas, or moisture issue.  It's not.  Newton rings are PURELY a visual illusion, created by light traveling through two different refractive surfaces, the outer case and the inner well.  Now, I don't know how CBCS does it so there's no Newton rings, but they do.  So eventually CGC will transition to a new design that also fixes the issue. 

And yeah, they'd probably do it faster if there was a serious problem, like with the Frankenslabs, which actually caused real damage.  But most people just don't care.  THAT'S why they keep telling the few people who DO care that it's "acceptable," I think ... because for most people, it just is.  They aren't getting a lot of complaints, a lot of lost business, a lot of reholder issues.  I'm sending in 40 comics this week, and 40 more next.  I don't like the Newton rings, but they're not that bad, IMO.  And sending slabs back is a real pain, even if I don't have to pay for it. 

Still, I think they should definitely respond to this thread.  I'm surprised they haven't already.

13 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Sometimes. There are many where it doesn't matter what angle you hold it.

and it shouldn't be tolerated by the purchasing consumer.

Yes CGC I get that the book inside the holder is the grade and it is not affected by the newton effect but a slab with newton rings is UGLY TO LOOK AT!

Imagine if a consumer purchased a new car, that had ugly newton ring spots all over it due to the clear coat reacting to the paint beneath it, and when the buyer complains to the dealer they are told "there is nothing wrong with the car, you can drive it, the newton ring effect is considered acceptible. "