• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2018 at 11:12 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just dropped in to say, "We hear you, folks. We'll be back with a proper statement as soon we can."?

I don't think you're going to hear a single peep out of them over this as long as they are sending out "These Ugly Blotches Are Normal' replies. They think they are the only game in town and think their customers will keep using their service no matter what. Very arrogant attitude. 

This is interesting, and reinforces my belief that this problem is thickness-related with regard to the limited options CGC has for various sizes of books.

Note
1) Both books are FF52.
2) They were graded a full month apart from one another.
3) One is SS and the other is Universal.
4) Both share near-identical newton ring severity.

-----------

Certification Information

Certification #: 1601348001
Title: Fantastic Four
Issue: 52
Issue Date: 7/66
Issue Year: 1966
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 3.0
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 06/27/2018
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby & Joe Sinnott cover & art
Key Comments: 1st appearance of the Black Panther
(T'Challa). Inhumans appearance.
Signatures:

SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 5/2/18

MaPbPmt.jpg

Certification Information

Certification #: 0352956015
Title: Fantastic Four
Issue: 52
Issue Date: 7/66
Issue Year: 1966
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 5.0
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date: 07/26/2018
Category: Universal
Art Comments: Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby & Joe Sinnott cover & art
Key Comments: 1st appearance of the Black Panther
(T'Challa). Inhumans appearance.

dqRkG1T.jpg

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

Thank you for your feedback.

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

ghost rider.jpg

6 minutes ago, CGC Comics said:

Thank you for your feedback.

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

ghost rider.jpg

Thank you for responding to our poll. 

8 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Thanks, @CGC Comics.

Now the proof is in the pudding, as they say, or perhaps the plastics.

Best wishes for this working to everyone's satisfaction.

To whomever can answer, I assume that bringing the two refractive indexes into alignment can't happen for some reason?

The most recent change will be a great improvement to the appearance of Newton rings.  We will continue to make efforts to do research on enhancements that will help.

8 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

:flamed:

I promise, it's not :)

9 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

@I like pie

I'm keeping a database.  Can you tell me the certification # for that ASM308?  I can't read it.  Also, I assume the number didn't change with the re-holder?  Thanks.

1163242020 originally graded 2013

I re-holdered it July from an old gen case. 

3 minutes ago, I like pie said:
14 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

@I like pie

I'm keeping a database.  Can you tell me the certification # for that ASM308?  I can't read it.  Also, I assume the number didn't change with the re-holder?  Thanks.

1163242020 originally graded 2013

I re-holdered it July from an old gen case. 

Thanks.

Just so I understand.  The old gen case was reholdered in July, and that case came back with newton rings.  Then you send it back for reholdering again (~3 weeks ago) to remove the newton rings, and when that case came back (on Monday) it still had newton rings.  Do I have that right?

Just now, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Thanks.

Just so I understand.  The old gen case was reholdered in July, and that case came back with newton rings.  Then you send it back for reholdering again (~3 weeks ago) to remove the newton rings, and when that case came back (on Monday) it still had newton rings.  Do I have that right?

Yes sir(thumbsu

58 minutes ago, CGC Comics said:

The most recent change will be a great improvement to the appearance of Newton rings.  We will continue to make efforts to do research on enhancements that will help.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

:flamed:

I promise, it's not :)

I sent the email as you said and just got a response that these rainbows happen in all cases and that's it. I had done as you said and explained that these pics were excessive. Not only did I not get an offer to deal, I got no response whether cgc would consider these excessive, just a blanketed response...

In my opinion these are excessive. I've seen ones with minor effects and these are excessive. Feedback is appreciated. 

20180825_124900.jpg

20180825_124907.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM