• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I know I will never again read your posts

you never read my posts anyway. and stop calling me when I'm in the middle of scientific research in my underground lab. and you never told me this morning how your show was last night after you rudley slammed the phone down on me and left me crying in the night. crying-and-sorry-little-monkey-smiley-emoticon.gif

1 minute ago, DR.X said:

you never read my posts anyway. and stop calling me when I'm in the middle of scientific research in my underground lab. and you never told me this morning how your show was last night after you rudley slammed the phone down on me and left me crying in the night. crying-and-sorry-little-monkey-smiley-emoticon.gif

LOL...

It's a good thing my husband doesn't even  blink when STRANGE men call at 11 pm;) 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

@Scott =)

Hi Scott - could you confirm whether @CGC Comics is legitimate please or a wind up? I agree with Sharon that were it a genuine representative it would have a staff coded colour. 

Thanks

hm

I’ll find out and let you know.

28 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

hm

Thanks Scott. If it turns out to be a shill, maybe add 'CGC' to a list of member names that users can't select, if that's possible! :wishluck:

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
53 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

Thanks Scott. If it turns out to be a shill, maybe add 'CGC' to a list of member names that users can't select, if that's possible! :wishluck:

It's the real deal..... :wishluck: I've been emailing her back and forth via yahoo. She made a way for me to call her and I left a message, I haven't got a call back yet. I'm pretty sure it is her.

Furthermore, I am going to go out on a limb of faith, I already sent my reholder shipment :foryou: @CGC Comics

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's the real deal..... :wishluck: I've been emailing her back and forth via yahoo. She made a way for me to call her and I left a message, I haven't got a call back yet. I'm pretty sure it is her.

Furthermore, I am going to go out on a limb of faith, I already sent my reholder shipment :foryou: @CGC Comics

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

This account PMd me with Brittany's email.

Me too. She told me (since I don't have my own account) how to go about getting to and filling out the CGC form, where to ship with ATTN: Brittany McManus, gave me other info where I left a message, she is so kind. 

She helped me out in 2016, when this reholder thing first arrived. In fact my IH 181 cgc 2.5 was put in a correct holder thanks to Brittany and it was one of the first ones. I don't know what happened between now and then to cause "severe" Newton rings to come back though .... ???

In either case I'm confident in her, thusly in CGC :whee:

I get that Newton Rings are a nuisance and in smaller portions are bearable, hence why I think that CGC took a stance that these rings had always been there and considered them acceptable.

Recently the nuisance was greater than before causing whole front cover's to become obscured. I'm not sure what caused the "new development" after they had already fixed it, and with no statement by CGC we had no way of knowing.

I hope that it is now as it once was, although there have been people who have voiced concerns even with small amounts of "rings"..... I hope they are appeased and that CGC returns to prominence :foryou: :banana: 

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

What concerns me, is probably the same thing that concerned Ditch, @Ditch Fahrenheit

The person who posted the information did not have their name highlighted in a color. If you check the other administrators all post with red under their names. They used to be a different color on the old boards, but now it's red. When Mr. Harshen posted, it said "Director of Operations" under his name. 

There certainly might have been a change, but just seeing 2 posts and the words "just got here" seem a little unusual, so I'm waiting to hear from someone we know is definitely not a shill.

Exactly.  In the past, all 'official' responses came from either Matt Nelson, Harshen Patel, or Brittany McManus; and ALL had longstanding accounts with identifiable indications of their positions at CGC along with color coding.

If this member account 'CGC Comics' is actually one of the above people (or someone else), I find this completely unprofessional.  Call me crazy, but I like to know exactly WHO is making the official CGC statements; especially given CGC's track record of deleting entire threads when 'official' promises of improved quality became 'inconvenient.'

30 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

It looks like you already know this, but yes that account is a real CGC account. 

Thanks Scott (thumbsu

OK I received 3 slabbed books last month and I noticed a few newton rings but didn't think much of it. I just read this thread for the 1st time so I went back to look at my slabs and all 3 have a pretty extensive amount of rings. In fact on the back cover of 2 of them there is an egg shape like indention that can be seen. I took a picture of it with my cheapo digital camera and circled the areas where you can see the indention. This basically has ruined my day and I just sent in more books last week that I think i'd rather have sent back. Here are the pics and i'm really bummed.

001.JPG

002.JPG

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

OK I received 3 slabbed books last month and I noticed a few newton rings but didn't think much of it. I just read this thread for the 1st time so I went back to look at my slabs and all 3 have a pretty extensive amount of rings. In fact on the back cover of 2 of them there is an egg shape like indention that can be seen. I took a picture of it with my cheapo digital camera and circled the areas where you can see the indention. This basically has ruined my day and I just sent in more books last week that I think i'd rather have sent back. Here are the pics and i'm really bummed.

Take the chance, while they are trying to make it right, if it is just a few books to get a reholder for free via the instructions... show pics!

Plus I have a 15 modern book submission that probably got to CGC in mid-August, I'm sweating bullets that now that they have the "fix" in place and it is Sep 1st that my slabs will come out satisfactory ..... :pullhair: but I appreciate either way that they are willing to make it right if the "rings are deemed excessive"....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, DR.X said:
1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

while they are trying to make it right,

and they are doing what to make it right?

Issuing a statement that there is a fix for the slabs to reduce the rings, and that if you have slabs with excessive rings to get them reholdered on their dime...... I was out the shipping to get them mailed today but still, it IS something....