• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, DanCooper said:
5 hours ago, walclark said:

I believe others have mentioned an issue with scratches on the inside of the slab.  There are scratches on 8 of the 10 slabs in this submission.  Like the ring effect, the scratches can only be seen when viewing the slabs at an angle to catch the light.

Apologies if this has been addressed already in this thread, or in the other NR thread over in the Gold forum, but has it been determined what is causing these scratches? Is this something that has been noticed on just recent subs and/or reholders? (or are older versions of slabs - 1 year + - exhibiting this scratch effect also?)

I have been noticing an increasing number of scratches as well.

And when you scan the book, certain scanners catch the scratches and make it look horrible. I've been using the same scanner for years but the scratches are more recent.

2 hours ago, I like pie said:

This one was on my dime. It had Newtons plus multiple finger prints on the inner well but was told it didn't merit a n/c re-holder.

It's a high value book and it looked terrible, so I had to get it done.

I have a pile that I'm vacillating about sending in. I don't have a problem gambling if the odds are in my favor - I know pretty much every sub has the rings to some extent, but I'm wondering if the majority of subs have an unacceptable amount or just a few.

35 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I have a pile that I'm vacillating about sending in. I don't have a problem gambling if the odds are in my favor - I know pretty much every sub has the rings to some extent, but I'm wondering if the majority of subs have an unacceptable amount or just a few.

If this helps you @GaardI just got back 35 books. So far 12 have rings. 3 of the 12 are ones that are really bothering me, the rest seem to be places where the rings are on clothing or backgrounds. Not something I'd ask for, but I suppose I'll deal with it. 
I do feel like I bought a bunch of "seconds" though and I didn't get them at huge discount.

This IS an improvement from the last batch of 50 books I got back where more than 40 books had rings and at least 30 were very disturbing (right on the character's faces, arms, etc.)

I'm not through looking at the books though. Sometimes you need to look in a better light and it's raining here. I don't expect that the percentage would be much different.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:09 AM, Gaard said:

That's an acceptable percentage. I think I'll roll the dice. Thanks.

?!?!?! Acceptable percentage? Do you go to a service to get something done only to find out they screw it up about one-third of the time? Is one in three acceptable anywhere else?

46 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

?!?!?! Acceptable percentage? Do you go to a service to get something done only to find out they screw it up about one-third of the time? Is one in three acceptable anywhere else?

The weather :banana: I mean it's not apples to apples but man can they be so wrong.

Acceptable percentage to me is 0% having the rings. Either its been fixed or it hasn't. A better percentage tells me they are on the right path but we haven't heard from enough people with reslabs to know if there is even a consistent improvement. My holders go back when the fix is 100% .... no less.

Seems relevant to the discussion. I just received this email from one of my customers on eBay

‘Hi sir..I received today FF 46 and there is a strange stain inside the cradle, an effect which was not evident on the photos...like some liquid got inside..I show the pictures...let me know what it could be and what we should do..regards”

i responded thusly

“Hello--What you have there are Newton rings. No stain just a prism effect from the two plastics touching. It's only a light effect and has no impact on the book. Happens in every CGC slabbed book. CGC has plenty of discussions about it on their website's boards. John”

He retorted

I did not see it before and I have hundreds of CGCs......anyway if you say it is normal..but next time please let me know in advance....regards”

this is normally the part of the conversation where I say “why don’t you shove a broom up my arse and I’ll sweep the floor while I’m doing it”. 

27 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Seems relevant to the discussion. I just received this email from one of my customers on eBay

‘Hi sir..I received today FF 46 and there is a strange stain inside the cradle, an effect which was not evident on the photos...like some liquid got inside..I show the pictures...let me know what it could be and what we should do..regards”

i responded thusly

“Hello--What you have there are Newton rings. No stain just a prism effect from the two plastics touching. It's only a light effect and has no impact on the book. Happens in every CGC slabbed book. CGC has plenty of discussions about it on their website's boards. John”

He retorted

I did not see it before and I have hundreds of CGCs......anyway if you say it is normal..but next time please let me know in advance....regards”

this is normally the part of the conversation where I say “why don’t you shove a broom up my arse and I’ll sweep the floor while I’m doing it”. 

It may have been better to state that according to our Host, it is Newton Rings.........etc.

You do not know the cause...2 plastic surfaces touching, prism effect, light effect, not a stain and no impact on the book....as correct or proven. 

I would not do so, and of course I understand everyone is different. My only point is you are putting yourself in the seat created by the Host, and if something goes South....

50 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

You do not know the cause...2 plastic surfaces touching, prism effect, light effect, not a stain and no impact on the book....as correct or proven.

Wrong.  I've de-slabbed books and, voila, the Newton rings fade away with no effect.  Hope they can figure this out though as CGC really is the gold standard.

58 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

3 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Wrong.  I've de-slabbed books and, voila, the Newton rings fade away with no effect.  Hope they can figure this out though as CGC really is the gold standard.

I posted this earlier but, I grabbed a slab that showed no newton rings in the center, instead of around the edges.  I saw newton rings.  I took my grip off from the center, and they went away.  

I wonder who described them as Newton's Rings? Since they are not rings and Newton's theory had to do with 2 glass objects "a spherical surface and an adjacent touching flat surface." WAY before plastic was invented. 

I can understand why CGC would not describe them as the black plague;) but writing "Newton's Rings" on eBay in a description is going to open up a whole new can of worms. Newton's rings are actually kind of pretty, these splotches, which seem to be some kind of flat surface interference are far from pretty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/light/Newton's-rings.html