• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

You do not know the cause...2 plastic surfaces touching, prism effect, light effect, not a stain and no impact on the book....as correct or proven. 

The cause is unequivocally the inner liner touching the outer shell.

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What makes you think posting this information for the fifth or sixth time in the thread will do anything that all the previous times couldn't?  :wink:

10 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Wrong.  I've de-slabbed books and, voila, the Newton rings fade away with no effect.  Hope they can figure this out though as CGC really is the gold standard.

My phrasing causes the point I am making to be misunderstood. My fault. I am referring to the hassles, legalities, and just plain PITA that will occur, when stating items as fact. You personally have not conducted any scientific tests. I appreciate what the Host states. I appreciate that you have caused the Rings to fade away. That is not a scientific explanation you can support with your own testing. Our Host, I assume, has done so, I don't know. 

You said in your post you hope they can figure it out. they have not done so. Why subject yourself to hassles, by stating it is normal, it is Newton Rings, don't worry, etc.

The posts I have already made about the subject, while not popular, are based on my experience, which is technical and scientific. We all have different ideas and opinions.

My opinion concerning what we are discussing is that I would choose not to invite a hassle for myself, when it is the Host that has made the statement and assumed scientific and technical tests to reach the conclusion, and you are simply re-stating it.It seems easier to just state in your Listings that the Host made those declarations, not you.

There is going to be a lot more of this; I have already seen many listings that are changing and not only on ebay. This is not an insignificant issue. On technical blog websites it is discussed constantly. It particularly effected Pharma, and food industry and drove up costs, delayed approvals, had and has created shortages for hospitals with needed medicines.

Make of it as you will. there are solutions. There are better performing polymer/co-polymer/polymeric solutions. There are better contamination reducing methods. It costs a lot and the end product is not cheap. In this arena....polymers etc. extrusion/manufacturing/end product, there is no Goldberg solution that makes it all go away.

Comics are no less important and has the same economic and business effect..... a problem not solved.

8 minutes ago, namisgr said:

If it's not primarily a design issue, rather than a technical and scientific one that you claim, then show us the Voldemort slabs and PGX slabs and the first generation CGC slabs identifiable with the old labels with the Newton rings problem.

:popcorn:

11 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

While looking at comics on eBay I came across this in the description. Its probably what we all are going to have to do to safely sell on eBay.

141.JPG

A wise suggestion.

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It can not be the effect, as opposed to the cause?

29 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My Moon Knight Sketch reholder because of Newton Rings shipped safe today, so I should get it next Tuesday :wishluck: 

It is the one that I showed pics of earlier in this thread :foryou: 

Previous reholders were lighting fast. My most recent one, due to "mechanical error", is frustratingly slow. Considering I only had it for a couple days before sending it back, I just want my darn book already...

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Previous reholders were lighting fast. My most recent one, due to "mechanical error", is frustratingly slow. Considering I only had it for a couple days before sending it back, I just want my darn book already...

I posted in CGC TAT, it was received a week ago this past Tuesday, so about a week and a half TAT...

It did say mechanical error when I viewed it online for the status, I wondered what that meant....

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My Moon Knight Sketch reholder because of Newton Rings shipped safe today, so I should get it next Tuesday :wishluck: 

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. :wishluck:

4 minutes ago, Gaard said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. :wishluck:

(thumbsu i sure Will! With before and after pics!

And with another 15 book sub due home probably towards the end of the month, I'll :wishluck: for that too and post results.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

All my “sell” books go to CGC. All my PC books go to Voldy. It will be that way until CGC fixes this issue, as its incredibly unsightly (especially lately, it seems worse than ever).

14 hours ago, namisgr said:

If it's not primarily a design issue, rather than a technical and scientific one that you claim, then show us the Voldemort slabs and PGX slabs and the first generation CGC slabs identifiable with the old labels with the Newton rings problem.

Cannot be done since the first generation CGC cases used Borax which they do not now.  Different plastics and different light reflection properties when placed on top of each other.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Cannot be done since the first generation CGC cases used Borax which they do not now

"Borax" - he was CGC's first head grader? Right?

I guess it's true that CGC cases don't use him anymore

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Cannot be done since the first generation CGC cases used Borax which they do not now.  Different plastics and different light reflection properties when placed on top of each other.

Barex.  Doesn't change that the problem with Newton rings is primarily one of design (neither Voldemort nor PGX slabs suffer much if at all from it), and neither science nor manufacturing are solely responsible.  The markedly increased frequency of Newton rings occurred as the slab design was changed to where the outer well snugly holds the inner well (and in so doing, presses against it), with the intent to reduce the problem of shaken comic syndrome from a loose inner well.

Edited by namisgr

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Barex.  Doesn't change that the problem with Newton rings is primarily one of design (neither Voldemort nor PGX slabs suffer much if at all from it), and neither science nor manufacturing are solely responsible.  The markedly increased frequency of Newton rings occurred as the slab design was changed to where the outer well snugly holds the inner well (and in so doing, presses against it), with the intent to reduce the problem of shaken comic syndrome from a loose inner well.

Well, alright. I disagree with the proof you demanded but agree with your point.:baiting:(shrug):foryou:

On 9/12/2018 at 6:37 PM, ThothAmon said:

Seems relevant to the discussion. I just received this email from one of my customers on eBay

I did not see it before and I have hundreds of CGCs......anyway if you say it is normal..but next time please let me know in advance....regards”

It’s hard for me to believe someone has been lucky enough to collect hundreds of slabs without ever having noticed Newton rings. I think the very first slab I bought had rings in it - and it’s been something I’ve had to watch out for ever since. 

30 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

It’s hard for me to believe someone has been lucky enough to collect hundreds of slabs without ever having noticed Newton rings. 

It's a recent occurrence in terms of both the number of encapsulated books affected and its severity when it occurs.