• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, The Milkman said:

It’s hard for me to believe someone has been lucky enough to collect hundreds of slabs without ever having noticed Newton rings. I think the very first slab I bought had rings in it - and it’s been something I’ve had to watch out for ever since. 

I have hundreds of CGC slabs, but I've only seen them recently and I've gone back to look at most of the older ones, but there are no splotches, rainbows or oil slicks that I can find..

On 9/13/2018 at 5:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Gaard said:
On 9/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My Moon Knight Sketch reholder because of Newton Rings shipped safe today, so I should get it next Tuesday :wishluck: 

It is the one that I showed pics of earlier in this thread :foryou: 

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. :wishluck:

(thumbsu i sure Will! With before and after pics!

And with another 15 book sub due home probably towards the end of the month, I'll :wishluck: for that too and post results.

lol Silly Fed Ex, as it is before noon here in Dallas, I thought that this would go better. It was scheduled for delivery for this coming Tuesday. It updated tracking today to, "on FedEx truck for delivery" followed by "next business day". The estimated tracking has changed from Tuesday to Monday....

I called FedEx today to see if I could just pick it up today, since it is already in Dallas and on the truck. They told me "sorry, that location is already closed but it will be delivered Monday."

I mean I'm getting it Monday rather than Tuesday :whee:(thumbsu but still haha, why oh why can I not pick it up? A quick google search says that FedEx delivers on Sat, guess that is wrong :( 

I mentioned this before to crickets but I think it deserves repeating. I have found that books that I received with noticable Newton Rings have diminished or even 'disappeared' with proper storage and environmental control. I either store the book flat(horizontal) or vertically with no pressure. Have you noticed that the new slabs kind of 'lock' into place when stored next to each other ? This creates pressure on the slab and may enhance the Newton effect. Relief of this pressure helps. IMO, some books leave CGC looking fine but in the process of a snug shipping environment develop the rings. It's all about pressure.  

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I mentioned this before to crickets but I think it deserves repeating. I have found that books that I received with noticable Newton Rings have diminished or even 'disappeared' with proper storage and environmental control. I either store the book flat(horizontal) or vertically with no pressure. Have you noticed that the new slabs kind of 'lock' into place when stored next to each other ? This creates pressure on the slab and may enhance the Newton effect. Relief of this pressure helps. IMO, some books leave CGC looking fine but in the process of a snug shipping environment develop the rings. It's all about pressure.  

I did take note when you said this before, I left this moon knight book horizontal on its own for a week, I wasn't really sure the time required. But it is duly noted (thumbsu 

When the topic came up and Brittany was willing to revisit reholder's, I jumped on it, the week on its side didn't really affect my book... good or bad....

But for those who try it, good luck! Because it is worth a shot! :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Isn't this contradictory to Ride the Tiger's post a few hours ago?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did take note when you said this before, I left this moon knight book horizontal on its own for a week, I wasn't really sure the time required. But it is duly noted (thumbsu 

When the topic came up and Brittany was willing to revisit reholder's, I jumped on it, the week on its side didn't really affect my book... good or bad....

But for those who try it, good luck! Because it is worth a shot! :foryou: 

I didn't really do a controlled test or anything, so I have no idea as to timeframe. I just looked at a book I had horizontal for at least a year and it now looks fine. If storing vertically I will put something in between the books. I have noticed that the worst scenario is storing a 'old' slab design next to the new one. BTW, also very dangerous for shipping. The new design can crush the old design, sometimes incurring a crack on the old design. CGC did not make these slab designs upward compatible for storage. In the big picture, I prefer the previous design.  Sorry. 

7 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Isn't this contradictory to Ride the Tiger's post a few hours ago?

Yes, apparently he got different results. I would like to hear more specifics on how he stored them. Stacking them would be even worse. (shrug) It's not about how they are stored, vertical or Horizontal. It's about removing the pressure.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, apparently he got different results. I would like to hear more specifics on how he stored them. Stacking them would be even worse. (shrug) It's not about how they are stored, vertical or Horizontal. It's about removing the pressure.

Quoting myself here to add another comment. I think Ride the Tiger's observation demonstrates that the Rings can come and go depending on the storage. I stored the more problematic ones, flat with bubble wrap around it. No pressure. I also store them in a climate controlled area of the house. De-Humidifier running 24 X 7.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes they were stacked so that they were all in the face up position. There were only 3 so not like they were at the bottom of a heavy pile. I am going to put them vertical (upright) for a while then see if they look any different.

Newton rings had never really bothered me in the past, as they seemed minimal, easily fixed, or weren’t a distraction to the book inside. Lately however the books I have received graded from July through August have been increasingly worse, and way more obnoxious than they had been in the past. Especially it seems on black covers.  I really hope they get this fixed soon, as it really is an unacceptable eyesore. 

C911F8C0-141C-44B1-8B7A-86ECB75DBCEC.jpeg

56C244D2-C5CC-4777-8259-77A55AB57064.jpeg

I feel within reason they're normal and acceptable. In the past it hasn't been an issue, but my last few submissions have been pretty unacceptable. I've had returns on books based on the Newton Rings. It's a detractive feature for sure, especially when you can see it from across a room. 

3 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Makes me wonder what they had to do to make it more presentable, and why they can't do it for every submission.

I agree! 

This proves it's possible to have no rings, which begs the question, why do we have any in the first place?:sumo: