• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:foryou: 

Thank you...I have taken that in the spirit intended. Your question is both sound and logical. There are reasons. 

On 9/15/2018 at 12:31 PM, namisgr said:
On 9/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, The Milkman said:

It’s hard for me to believe someone has been lucky enough to collect hundreds of slabs without ever having noticed Newton rings. 

It's a recent occurrence in terms of both the number of encapsulated books affected and its severity when it occurs

I've never seen a first or second generation slab with newton rings. Can someone post some examples? Every example I see, it's the new case. The slabs I still own - all second generation - have none, and the inner and outer wells touch all over. The hundreds I used to own, all first and second gen, had none. Others in this thread have intimated the same. So for me, the problem is the new case and / or the new materials.  

I wish they would just fix the damn problem and not tinker. Stop tinkering, trying to minimise the problem, and fix it fully. If that means going back to old cases and or materials, just do it. If Barex isn't available anymore, if that is the cause, then find a different plastic that works. Maybe the plastics the other companies use. They don't seem to have newton rings, that I can see.

This whole thing is tedious.  Pages and pages of discussion, debate, excuses,  explanations. Fix the damn problem. What is so outrageous about that? Do it,  for the love of God, just do it. And stop messing the paying customer about with tinkering which we're supposed to be grateful for.

@CGC Comics

Just my two pence, as they say. You're welcome to disagree / correct me if I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've never seen a first or second generation slab with newton rings. Can someone post some examples? Every example I see, it's the new case. The slabs I still own - all second generation - have none, and the inner and outer wells touch all over. The hundreds I used to own, all first and second gen, had none. Others in this thread have intimated the same. So for me, the problem is the new case and / or the new materials.  

I wish they would just fix the damn problem and not tinker. Stop tinkering, trying to minimise the problem, and fix it fully. If that means going back to old cases and or materials, just do it. If Barex isn't available anymore, if that is the cause, then find a different plastic that works. Maybe the plastics the other companies use. They don't seem to have newton rings, that I can see.

This whole thing is tedious.  Pages and pages of discussion, debate, excuses,  explanations. Fix the damn problem. What is so outrageous about that? Do it,  for the love of God, just do it. And stop messing the paying customer about with tinkering which we're supposed to be grateful for.

@CGC Comics

Just my two pence, as they say. You're welcome to disagree / correct me if I'm wrong. 

I am 100% behind your statement. Fix it already CGC. Your case is just plain ugly with the NRs all over the place. There are many people afraid to even sell these flawed slabs because it could potentially end up in a returned book. Thats a big inconvenience for people who sell a large volume of your graded comics and it makes you look bad. Don't you care? Is it acceptable to just leave it alone and look bad? Geeze FIX IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

On 9/12/2018 at 5:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Acceptable percentage to me is 0% having the rings. Either its been fixed or it hasn't. A better percentage tells me they are on the right path but we haven't heard from enough people with reslabs to know if there is even a consistent improvement. My holders go back when the fix is 100% .... no less.

Agreed. As long as people rationalize it away and submit anyway, the $$$ keeps rolling in for CGC and they have zero incentive to finally fix this issue. 

3 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Two weeks in QC now. I've gotten four different answers on the delay and was told today it could take 7 weeks. So frustrating.

The delay is because it's in a Q, C?

That was a joke. And a bad one, apparently.

If it turns up in 7 weeks time, still with rings, will you consider sending it back to CGC with a note inviting them to pop it up their ring? 

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The delay is because it's in a Q, C?

That was a joke. And a bad one, apparently.

If it turns up in 7 weeks time, still with rings, will you consider sending it back to CGC with a note inviting them to pop it up their ring? 

Last Monday I was told it was on Accounting hold(shrug)

I called accounting. No hold. It will ship Tuesday or Wednesday(last week).:popcorn:

Called Thursday to follow up. I was told it would ship that night. :whistle:

Called Friday. I was told it would ship Monday or Tuesday(today):wishluck:

Emailed today and told it could take 7 weeks. :blahblah:

Now, it's not like I'm telling them, "Ship it NOW!"  They are telling me when it's shipping. I asked if it's lost or maybe because it's a magazine re-holder, maybe they haven't perfected removing the effect?

No answers.

2 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Last Monday I was told it was on Accounting hold(shrug)

I called accounting. No hold. It will ship Tuesday or Wednesday(last week).:popcorn:

Called Thursday to follow up. I was told it would ship that night. :whistle:

Called Friday. I was told it would ship Monday or Tuesday(today):wishluck:

Emailed today and told it could take 7 weeks. :blahblah:

Now, it's not like I'm telling them, "Ship it NOW!"  They are telling me when it's shipping. I asked if it's lost or maybe because it's a magazine re-holder, maybe they haven't perfected removing the effect?

No answers.

That sounds like a Craig David record.

Good luck. 

7 hours ago, I like pie said:

On a happier note, I got this back today. 99% Newton free(thumbsu

48.jpeg

Sweet!! :applause: ( Congratulations! )

Maybe the cases are getting better. :wishluck:

I received a couple of Books yesterday that were graded on 9/4 with no sign of Newton rings at all, big difference. :bigsmile:

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
15 hours ago, DR.X said:

I'm working on a new ray gun that might fix this problem.

Is it a Ringray?

giphy.gif.d9b846670cd24d24a2f8b8027472518c.gif

No Stingray fans in then?