• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

The general consensus here is that slabbed books didn't/don't have Newton Rings prior to, what, 2017..? This year..?

Well, when looking through the few books that I have this weekend, I noticed that one of my SS books in its original 2012 slab does, indeed, have a small Newton Ring on the front now (wasn't there when received).

I don't think it's a problem with current materials, rather, mainly quality control and storage climate.

42 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The general consensus here is that slabbed books didn't/don't have Newton Rings prior to, what, 2017..? This year..?

Well, when looking through the few books that I have this weekend, I noticed that one of my SS books in its original 2012 slab does, indeed, have a small Newton Ring on the front now (wasn't there when received).

I don't think it's a problem with current materials, rather, mainly quality control and storage climate.

Where are you getting that general concensus? That's not correct. Newton Rings did occur in the past (not nearly as bad though) but because the cases weren't sealed on the side, you could slip a piece of paper in there which would effectively erase the ring. I don't know if that was possible in all instances but there were boardies reporting doing exactly that to get rid of rings. As long as the two plastic surface are in contact with each other, ringing is a possibility

The current Newton Ring problem is definitely a result of the newer holder design.

Edited by Jerkfro

28 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Where are you getting that general concensus? That's not correct. Newton Rings did occur in the past (not nearly as bad though) but because the cases weren't sealed on the side, you could slip a piece of paper in there which would effectively erase the ring. I don't know if that was possible in all instances but there were boardies reporting doing exactly that to get rid of rings. As long as the two plastic surface are in contact with each other, ringing is a possibility

The current Newton Ring problem is definitely a result of the newer holder design.

Reading through this topic...

4 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

This is exactly right. They were present, but to a way, way lesser extent. And it was so easy to slip an envelope in there to get rid of any that you noticed.

I can't remember ...  why did they redesign the slab? I know they had a reason, but I can't remember what it was. (but at least I don't have Alzheimer's :) )

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

why did they redesign the slab? I know they had a reason, but I can't remember what it was.

Because the previous cases were made out of Barex, and it wasn't being produced any more.  So they figured that if they needed to use a new material, they may as well improve the case design. And the new cases, when they are ring-free, scratch-free, and have the book centered properly, ARE a huge upgrade over the previous gen.

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Waiting for the LCS to call and tell me that my submission has arrived....

I mean it shipped out from CGC last Tuesday.....

806651e8f7779d37520bafe325f50993.jpg :sorry: 

If they used Registered mail, I can see why you are still waiting. In my personal experience with Registered mail, it's at least a week.

Just thought I'd throw this in here.  This is a previous-gen case, and the first slab I ever bought.  Had newton rings all over Spidey's face.  I used the "slip-a-paper-inside" trick to get rid of the rings, but as you can see the paper actually scratched the mylar.  Sorry, I can't find my "before" pic of this slab.

spidey_01.jpg

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

If they used Registered mail, I can see why you are still waiting. In my personal experience with Registered mail, it's at least a week.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Posted a 15 book sub back from CGC in the back from CGC thread :)

no excessive rings, had a hair come back in a case though lol

It came today  :foryou:

36 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

Because the previous cases were made out of Barex, and it wasn't being produced any more.  So they figured that if they needed to use a new material, they may as well improve the case design. And the new cases, when they are ring-free, scratch-free, and have the book centered properly, ARE a huge upgrade over the previous gen.

Not if you have to carry them, or store them, they are huge and heavy.

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Posted a 15 book sub back from CGC in the back from CGC thread :)

no excessive rings, had a hair come back in a case though lol

So they've solved the rings but the new issue is cross contamination with their taxidermy business?

Will this thread ever end!

363-2013930153530_540x360.jpg.e0fb5604675fe30622cd7d4484bb9b34.jpg