• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

So after sending in through about 6 different batches over the past year and a half, my own personal wild theory is that it has to do with the hot summer weather once it leaves for transport after slabbing. What am I basing this on? I had a batch of 10 ship back in Dec ... all perfect, crystal clear. Another batch of 10 in early Spring come back perfectly clear, no signs of rings on any of them. Then my next three batches in the July, August months came back horrible! Littered with rings that you could hardly see the cover through all the puddling. Then I had another batch of 15 come back in Sept and all perfect, no signs of any rings at all. From what I can tell, all the cases from last Dec to now are all the same width and size, so difference in larger cases being used. I know this is not a scientific conclusion, but it's enough to sway me to only submit during times when I know I will get the books back in the Fall through to Spring. I will avoid the summer months completely. Who knows what happens to these mylars while it cooks in the hot courier planes and trucks.

17 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

So after sending in through about 6 different batches over the past year and a half, my own personal wild theory is that it has to do with the hot summer weather once it leaves for transport after slabbing. What am I basing this on? I had a batch of 10 ship back in Dec ... all perfect, crystal clear. Another batch of 10 in early Spring come back perfectly clear, no signs of rings on any of them. Then my next three batches in the July, August months came back horrible! Littered with rings that you could hardly see the cover through all the puddling. Then I had another batch of 15 come back in Sept and all perfect, no signs of any rings at all. From what I can tell, all the cases from last Dec to now are all the same width and size, so difference in larger cases being used. I know this is not a scientific conclusion, but it's enough to sway me to only submit during times when I know I will get the books back in the Fall through to Spring. I will avoid the summer months completely. Who knows what happens to these mylars while it cooks in the hot courier planes and trucks.

I don't think it's the heat so much as it is the humidity.

I could see a little extra humidity (which is not harmful to the comic at all) increasing the affinity between the two layers causing an increase in Newton ring effect.

Not enough to count as scientific evidence but it is an interesting thought.

5 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

I subbed three books in September at FanEXPO.  Got them back today...  NEWTON RINGS.  Nothing has changed.  (And the back covers are crystal clear, BTW.) Pretty sure these would be deemed "acceptable" levels by CGC, but to me they're not.  I'm done.

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

OMG how do they even let that out of the building.

40 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

I subbed three books in September at FanEXPO.  Got them back today...  NEWTON RINGS.  Nothing has changed.  (And the back covers are crystal clear, BTW.) Pretty sure these would be deemed "acceptable" levels by CGC, but to me they're not.  I'm done.

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

They definitely couldn't deny re-holdering this one....but yea, where is QC?

Probably being late to the party and I did not read all threads about Newton rings but just did receive an expensive item from Comiclink and it has several Newton rings on the CGC holder :cry:

Book looks good inside but the rings really transform it into an ugly display and I do not dare cracking the case as it is a new case and probability of discovering that the book has been pressed terrifies me.

Any update from CGC about this? Can they replace a CGC holder with rings by another one without rings?

Thanks in advance for the info.

18 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Probably being late to the party and I did not read all threads about Newton rings but just did receive an expensive item from Comiclink and it has several Newton rings on the CGC holder :cry:

Book looks good inside but the rings really transform it into an ugly display and I do not dare cracking the case as it is a new case and probability of discovering that the book has been pressed terrifies me.

Any update from CGC about this? Can they replace a CGC holder with rings by another one without rings?

Thanks in advance for the info.

read the first post of this thread, it is what CGC did to resolve the situation of this thread that you posted in :) basically a rehash of what was said on page 15 of this thread :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I am not an engineer but could there be a correlation between pressing and Newton rings?

I know it sounds crazy but all CGC books that I have purchased from the new generation have some Newton rings, more or less depending of the books. The only ones that have no Newton rings at all from the new slab generation are the ones I did submit myself and that I know have not been pressed. Is this just coincidence? Am I getting paranoid here?

My Newton ring book that was considered excessive had, to my knowledge, not been pressed. I did submit through a facilitator though as it was a sketch... but I doubt pressing has anything to do with it  :foryou:

8 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

I am not an engineer but could there be a correlation between pressing and Newton rings?

I know it sounds crazy but all CGC books that I have purchased from the new generation have some Newton rings, more or less depending of the books. The only ones that have no Newton rings at all from the new slab generation are the ones I did submit myself and that I know have not been pressed. Is this just coincidence? Am I getting paranoid here?

On ‎2018‎/‎10‎/‎13 at 6:03 PM, MagicMan_2017 said:

I submitted 10 books in late April 2018, that were pressed by a 3rd party then sent to CGC for grading. I received them back in October and only 1 of them has newton rings and it is minimal. (shrug)

Edited by Artboy99

15 hours ago, pickycollector said:

my latest submission of 10 books I had them all pressed and they returned and 9 out of 10 had no newton rings at all, the 10th was very minimal amount.

This San Diego Comic-con program from 1972 is the only book that came back with some newton rings. At the bottom of the book there is some minimal newton ring effect.

san diego 1972.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

my latest submission of 10 books I had them all pressed and they returned and 9 out of 10 had no newton rings at all, the 10th was very minimal amount.

Good to know.

Now what can I do with a CGC book that has Newton rings? Can it be fixed without cracking it?

Why did CGC decide to change into that new generation of slabs? The second generation were great, why changing them for such a worse product? :screwy:

1 minute ago, pickycollector said:

Good to know.

Now what can I do with a CGC book that has Newton rings? Can it be fixed without cracking it?

Why did CGC decide to change into that new generation of slabs? The second generation were great, why changing them for such a worse product? :screwy:

The new slab when it doesn't have newton rings or scratches is quite visibly superior for viewing the book. The plastic is quite a bit clearer than the older slabs had. I understand the intent, and I agree with the change and once the newton ring issue is resolved the slabs will look fantastic.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, The Milkman said:

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

Contact them and tell them you want to send them back...and I agree, they list 3 people for quality control, they couldn't have all had the flu the days these books passed through. :(