• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

Newton Rings......Who needs 'em Right?

Well I did a little testing on some of my books that have bad Rings.
If you put them in your Freezer for 5 to 8 minutes the Rings seem to go away.
Don't know if it changes the Pressure inside the case or something else but, it does seem to work here.

****Try at your own risk, I would try cheaper slabs first****

Above was posted on facebook today.  YIKES.

Sorry if this has been answered already but when CGC reholders at their charge for bad newton rings etc, what is the typical turnaround time for doing so? 

Do these get bumped to the front of the line or is at whatever the current TAT for reholders is?  They're fixing a slab I just had reholdered (not for newton rings, another issue) and it shows up in my CGC invoice as "mechanical error service."  While CGC has been great about fixing the problem and agreeing to do so at their cost, its been kind of crickets when I politely asked how long it would take.

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Sorry if this has been answered already but when CGC reholders at their charge for bad newton rings etc, what is the typical turnaround time for doing so? 

Do these get bumped to the front of the line or is at whatever the current TAT for reholders is?  They're fixing a slab I just had reholdered (not for newton rings, another issue) and it shows up in my CGC invoice as "mechanical error service."  While CGC has been great about fixing the problem and agreeing to do so at their cost, its been kind of crickets when I politely asked how long it would take.

I was one of the first this go round for reholder due to Newton rings, and I shipped and got it back in 2 weeks...

I have 2 in now for a hair in the slab and a mislabel, and it's been since October 27th and still at verified. 

Hope this helps...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was one of the first this go round for reholder due to Newton rings, and I shipped and got it back in 2 weeks...

I have 2 in now for a hair in the slab and a mislabel, and it's been since October 27th and still at verified. 

Hope this helps...

Helps yes, but not the help I wanted! Already waited a month and a half the first time round. 

Glad they’re fixing the issue ... but gonna be a bummer waiting so long again.

Thanks for the response.

3 minutes ago, szavisca said:
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hope this helps...

Helps yes, but not the help I wanted! Already waited a month and a half the first time round. 

Glad they’re fixing the issue ... but gonna be a bummer waiting so long again.

Thanks for the response.

Well I checked my PM with the LCS that shipped these 2 reholder's this time and they shipped out OCT 16th, so CGC probably "received" them before Oct 27th (that was just a guess from memory)

As far as newton ring reholder's taking priority, no cgc hasn't made a statement about it. It might, though, have something to do with who "handled" the reholder. I shipped mine with "Attention Brittany McManus" on it... I don't really know if that has anything to do with it only taking 2 weeks the first go round, but that's all that I can think of....

I agree it IS taking forever though :sumo: 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I checked my PM with the LCS that shipped these 2 reholder's this time and they shipped out OCT 16th, so CGC probably "received" them before Oct 27th (that was just a guess from memory)

As far as newton ring reholder's taking priority, no cgc hasn't made a statement about it. It might, though, have something to do with who "handled" the reholder. I shipped mine with "Attention Brittany McManus" on it... I don't really know if that has anything to do with it only taking 2 weeks the first go round, but that's all that I can think of....

I agree it IS taking forever though :sumo: 

Eh, they've got a lot to fix so I get it if they can't do em all right away.  Just a bummer, my books issue was that a large portion of the bright white archival paper was hanging out the bottom of the book, making it look terrible...on of course the best book in my collection.  Just made me nervous the first time round on the reholder shipping it cross country and waiting on pins and needles for it to return.  First world problems I know!

On 11/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, szavisca said:

Eh, they've got a lot to fix so I get it if they can't do em all right away.  Just a bummer, my books issue was that a large portion of the bright white archival paper was hanging out the bottom of the book, making it look terrible...on of course the best book in my collection.  Just made me nervous the first time round on the reholder shipping it cross country and waiting on pins and needles for it to return.  First world problems I know!

I’m sure you can tap tap tap that paper back inside the comic. They prob put it just under the cover. Tap tap tap it home.

40 minutes ago, dfx1 said:

I’m sure you can tap tap tap that paper back inside the comic. They prob put it just under the cover. Tap tap tap it home.

Is that a happy Gilmore reference? :roflmao: "Are you too good for your home? Just give it a tap tap taparoo!"

1 hour ago, dfx1 said:

Surprisingly you’re not the first to suggest this... and as much as I’d love to damage my high grade 70 year old comic doing this, I’ll have to pass and just wait the  2 months it’ll take cgc to fix it.

It wasn’t just poking out by a smidge anyway.  There’s a good 3 inch by half inch or so triangle dangling out the bottom.  It looks really bad.  I’m happy they agreed to fix it at their expense even if slowly. 

4 hours ago, dfx1 said:

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

Yea... don't do that. 

What about the post he made in another thread?

"

I'm so good I can detect newton ring without even looking at the slab. If you apply slight bend pressure from the sides and hear brittle cracking then trust me, you gots the NRs. 

Im looking for a home solution. Heating it up over the stove slightly almost makes some go away as it expands a bit but...they come right back :)"

Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy :)  

hey the brittle cracking noise when gently flexing a case IS an indicator of Newton rings. Try it without looking next time. You can do it very gently without damaging your comic. Rumor has it CGC cases aren’t meant to protect comics anyway.

*big sigh of relief*

I just got ten books back, today, from reholdering.  4 books were recent "free" reholders due to bad newton rings, 6 books were in old generation cases I figured I'd have done at the same time so I could combine shipping.  I'm happy to report that 7 have no newton rings at all, and 3 have very small newton rings - nothing I would complain about.  Overall, they look great.  As a side note, I had specifically requested that they got put in thicker cases (I've done this in the past, and it pretty much guarantees no newton rings,) but for whatever reason these did NOT get put in the thicker cases.  They are the regular, standard sized case.  They had sat in "verified" for over a month, and I'm pretty sure that request just got lost in the wait. 

There is also no scratching or scuffing on the cases or mylar. 

15 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

*big sigh of relief*

I just got ten books back, today, from reholdering.  4 books were recent "free" reholders due to bad newton rings, 6 books were in old generation cases I figured I'd have done at the same time so I could combine shipping.  I'm happy to report that 7 have no newton rings at all, and 3 have very small newton rings - nothing I would complain about.  Overall, they look great.  As a side note, I had specifically requested that they got put in thicker cases (I've done this in the past, and it pretty much guarantees no newton rings,) but for whatever reason these did NOT get put in the thicker cases.  They are the regular, standard sized case.  They had sat in "verified" for over a month, and I'm pretty sure that request just got lost in the wait. 

Do you remember when they were received/shippedback, I have 2 reholder's at CGC, they've been there since Oct 22nd.... :shy: 

1 hour ago, The Milkman said:

*big sigh of relief*

I'm glad to hear that there were no scratches.