• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Brexit,more like up the Bendix.As long as folks keep throwing money at them the issue wont be fixed.

Lot's of x in there.Excellent.

I had to hear my dad yesterday tell me all about it ........ among other things..... looongg drawn out thing!

Spoiler

giphy.gif

I have some recent purchases that were slabbed in the last 3-6 months. Some have the rings, some do not. Even "sometimes" is unacceptable. Customer loyalty is based on trust. No one wants a car that "sometimes" drives, a phone that "sometimes" makes calls, or an employee who "sometimes" does a good job. 

If there's something wrong with the old slabs, I'd like to know that information.  If there's nothing wrong with them, then why change them at all? Why not go back to what worked?

I understand that companies can make mistakes, but the best thing you can do to maintain your customer's trust is admit it, address it, and correct it.

2 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

I have some recent purchases that were slabbed in the last 3-6 months. Some have the rings, some do not. Even "sometimes" is unacceptable. Customer loyalty is based on trust. No one wants a car that "sometimes" drives, a phone that "sometimes" makes calls, or an employee who "sometimes" does a good job. 

If there's something wrong with the old slabs, I'd like to know that information.  If there's nothing wrong with them, then why change them at all? Why not go back to what worked?

I understand that companies can make mistakes, but the best thing you can do to maintain your customer's trust is admit it, address it, and correct it.

I believe or is my understanding that some of the old materials used for previous slabs are no longer manufactured. I forget the reasoning or why the went out of production... :shy: 

7 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Bring back the Barex!   :sumo:

:eek: while I agee, could you imagine the backlash that books in slabs from 2016-2019 would now be considered :sick: and while some consider them that anyway, there are books without "rings", would they then be at a premium?

:juggle:

9 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Bring back the Barex!   :sumo:

I was going to make a funny about Durex,but googled Barex first-seems the company that was helping fentanyl be packaged safely took a crippling blow when a balogna producer stopped using them lollol 

https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i41/Race-Replace-Ineoss-Barex-Resin.html

Spoiler

And for those wishing for Durex humour

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:eek: while I agee, could you imagine the backlash that books in slabs from 2016-2019 would now be considered :sick: and while some consider them that anyway, there are books without "rings", would they then be at a premium?

:juggle:

The sooner this gets fixed = less books with this problem.   For me, A book with newton rings is worth actual value of book minus shipping/reholder fees.

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I was going to make a funny about Durex,but googled Barex first-seems the company that was helping fentanyl be packaged safely took a crippling blow when a balogna producer stopped using them lollol 

https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i41/Race-Replace-Ineoss-Barex-Resin.html

Hide contents

And for those wishing for Durex humour

giphy.gif

lol and :ohnoez:

Just now, comicdonna said:

The sooner this gets fixed = less books with this problem.   For me, A book with newton rings is worth actual value of book minus shipping/reholder fees.

Right?I recently picked up a cheap slab(reeeel cheep),and when it arrived-rings.No fault on the seller at all,they went above and beyond,highly recommended.Since the spine looked like it had split in the case due to pressure from the well,that flap,I thought about not cracking it,but the rings drove me batty.It now sits free,as from Canada,the cost of shipping back and forth for a reholder that likely wont even fix the problem would be near what I paid for the darn thing.I already avoid slabs as I like lower grade books to read,but I do have some higher value things here in older holders,and plenty of raw books that when the time comes,should be graded before selling.With how things look now,it's not going to happen with them(cgc).And if I ever,EVER buy another graded book,I'll want to know the holder date or see it in hand.They should be ashamed,but dollars heal I guess.

The most frustrating thing, for me, is that CGC has the ability to get these out without rings.

I submit multiple copies of the same book all the time. Two would come back Newton free but one will have them. 

Now if you email them to reholder that one, they will tell you, "Ok but we can't guarantee it will be any better!" ¬¬