• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

why bother submitting? Books in a mylar would serve the same purpose for you.

I don't get the "preservation" aspect of grading either. Get some microchamber paper, some fullbacks, and some mylars. Same thing, but a lot cheaper, a lot less bulky, better clarity, and you can you still read the damn things.

I slab books for sales facilitation only. That requires clarity and good presentation, just like you said.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm not sure either Gaard

@Bumble Kitty - hope you don't mind my reposting your post here. Can you elaborate?

Bumble Kitty said:

I brought this up to Matt at CGC.  I showed him a book I recently received and he told me they (meaning CGC) are aware of the problem.  The problem is happening at Quality Control.  Apparently, they have many different size holders and the operator is not choosing the correct size.  He said the outer holder needs a little space to prevent the Newton "effect" from showing up.  I told him the one book with the thickest holder does not have the Newton ring problem, which kind of confirms what he was telling me. 

He could not confirm that a change in personnel led to this problem, but he thought it could be the reason. Steps are being implemented to prevent this from happening with future books.  He told me to submit my book (or books) for reholdering.  I told him I plan to wait until Wondercon, as I did not have all of my "problem" books with me.  Matt said CGC would honor the reholdering at that time.

So it appears the Newton ring problem was possibly caused by someone who may not have been as experienced in choosing the correct outer holder size.  If nothing else, nobody was charged extra for the "pretty" oily rings.

If it is that, then why would CGC also say newton rings are in all slabs and that they consider it acceptable and normal? 

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

If it is that, then why would CGC also say newton rings are in all slabs and that they consider it acceptable and normal? 

Indeed.

To be fair, the 'acceptable and normal' line came from, I believe, a response to one individual. What I think we need is an official response to all. This is not a witch hunt. It is a group of people expressing concern about the quality of a product they have paid for. Nothing more. In any walk of life, a company should respond when it's customers are unhappy about an aspect of it's service.

My hope is that we will have so many people vote here, that it will be difficult to ignore when I send it to CGC. It is easier to ignore scattered expressions of discontent from multiple sources than one consolidated expression. So the more members that vote here, the more powerful the message will be when I send it. I would like to think that a company would listen to a large number of its own customers when they report their concerns jointly through the very online mechanism created for them by that company. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed.

To be fair, the 'acceptable and normal' line came from, I believe, a response to one individual. What I think we need is an official response to all. This is not a witch hunt. It is a group of people expressing concern about the quality of a product they have paid for. Nothing more. In any walk of life, a company should respond when it's customers are unhappy about an aspect of it's service.

My hope is that we will have so many people vote here, that it will be difficult to ignore when I send it to CGC. It is easier to ignore scattered expressions of discontent from multiple sources than one consolidated expression. So the more members that vote here, the more powerful the message will be when I send it. I would like to think that a company would listen to a large number of its own customers when they report their concerns jointly through the very online mechanism created for them by that company. 

Irritating that you have to do this in the first place. This should have been corrected as soon as they became aware of the effect.

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Irritating that you have to do this in the first place. This should have been corrected as soon as they became aware of the effect.

This is how things can go nowadays. What irritates me, and its why I dived in, is watching good people banging their heads against brick walls when they have a valid complaint. It irritates me when people in power do not respond when there is a clear need to do so. So I will send this all up, once it's been seen by as many people as possible, and then leave it. One thing I've learned in life - give it your best shot, then leave it if the other side is not going to play ball and do the decent / expected thing. Certainly for a thing that is comparatively unimportant. But it is very important in context, hence this attempt. Some may see this as me trying to make a name for myself, jumping on a pedestal etc. It's not. It's me saying to a company, on behalf of a seeming majority, that they have an issue and they need to communicate to us. The reason I'm doing this is their fault, not mine. I'm just mobilising the thoughts many have expressed all over the place into one place.

There's nothing to stop a member of the admin team making a statement here, on CGC's behalf. If they don't, off it goes to the top once we break 100 votes (which would be quite a feat for polls that I've seen down the years). 

3 minutes ago, gpanalysis said:

I’m rooting for the underdog :baiting:

Joking aside, we - the customers - are the underdogs. 

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This is how things can go nowadays. What irritates me, and its why I dived in, is watching good people banging their heads against brick walls when they have a valid complaint. It irritates me when people in power do not respond when there is a clear need to do so. So I will send this all up, once it's been seen by as many people as possible, and then leave it. One thing I've learned in life - give it your best shot, then leave it if the other side is not going to play ball and do the decent / expected thing. Certainly for a thing that is comparatively unimportant. But it is very important in context, hence this attempt. Some may see this as me trying to make a name for myself, jumping on a pedestal etc. It's not. It's me saying to a company, on behalf of a seeming majority, that they have an issue and they need to communicate to us. The reason I'm doing this is their fault, not mine. I'm just mobilising the thoughts many have expressed all over the place into one place.

There's nothing to stop a member of the admin team making a statement here, on CGC's behalf. If they don't, off it goes to the top once we break 100 votes (which would be quite a feat for polls that I've seen down the years). 

I am constantly dealing with this where I work. The complaint is that there is never enough staff to help the customers that come in, and the company removes/eliminates more staff then tells the staff that are still working that they are not doing the right things and that is why the customers are complaining. It is extremely irritating.

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am constantly dealing with this where I work. The complaint is that there is never enough staff to help the customers that come in, and the company removes/eliminates more staff then tells the staff that are still working that they are not doing the right things and that is why the customers are complaining. It is extremely irritating.

It's the way of the world. I'm dealing with multiple institutions in relation to a deceased relatives estate at the moment. Each is painful in the extreme to deal with and categorised by inexperienced staff, often rude, inadequate resources and underfunded systems. It is a constant source of amazement how many major institutions do not have a process in place to manage the death of a customer. 

So I'm probably a little jaded here.

I see this Newton Ring debacle as just another company trying to evade its responsibility. All they need to do is make a statement, that stands up to scrutiny. "This is the problem. We acknowledge your concerns. This is what we are going to do".

Why is that so hard?

And guess what - I'm the bad guy here. As I was the bad guy when I pointed out to the TV Licensing Company that sending threatening letters to a dead person, for who you have received a refund and account closure notice, is wrong and upsetting. It was my fault for not ringing them weekly to advise that she was still dead, and not therefore in need of a licence. True story.

It's life.

But it's wrong of me to front load this thread with emotive, unrelated comments.

Lets stick to the 3 questions above which, I think, can be answered fairly and without feeling the need to strike out at bureaucracy in general as a result of having read this diatribe.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

It's the way of the world. I'm dealing with multiple institutions in relation to a deceased relatives estate at the moment. Each is painful in the extreme to deal with and categorised by inexperienced staff, often rude, inadequate resources and underfunded systems. It is a constant source of amazement how many major institutions do not have a process in place to manage the death of a customer. 

So I'm probably a little jaded here.

I see this Newton Ring debacle as just another company trying to evade its responsibility. All they need to do is make a statement, that stands up to scrutiny. "This is the problem. We acknowledge your concerns. This is what we are going to do".

Why is that so hard?

And guess what - I'm the bad guy here. As I was the bad guy when I pointed out to the TV Licensing Company that sending threatening letters to a dead person, for who you have received a refund and account closure notice, is wrong and upsetting. It was my fault for not ringing them weekly to advise that she was still dead, and not therefore in need of a licence. True story.

It's life.

But it's wrong of me to front load this thread with emotive, unrelated comments.

Lets stick to the 3 questions above which, I think, can be answered fairly and without feeling the need to strike out at bureaucracy in general as a result of having read this diatribe.

And so, to balance with some positive comments:

• CGC cases look fantastic when free from NRs
  • The signature series service is excellent
  • The restoration check is excellent
  • The preservation aspect is excellent
  • CGC has without doubt energised the industry
  • This free forum is excellent

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

+1

Remember how frustrated those guys were about Paradise Comics. The frustrating part for them was the lack of a statement by Paradise. CGC - make a statement!

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

+1

Remember how frustrated those guys were about Paradise Comics. The frustrating part for them was the lack of a statement by Paradise. CGC - make a statement!

It's rarely the problem that's the problem. It's the response to the problem that's the problem. 

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Then i'd have to call the other Newt to bring...

That was jaunty. Does having the strength of 10 ordinary men mean that 11 can take you?