• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

I have been reading all of your posts with both fascination and amusement. You can throw in a sense of respect for people who are reasonably trying to solve a "problem." It may only seem to be a perception problem, but to him/her to whom it is a problem . . . .well, it is a problem. This just occurred to me recently, and in response to someone's response about CGC and their view on it, here is CGC's official response:

"Thank you for your email. There is no liquid present, or anything that can damage your book. This visual phenomenon occurs when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In our cases, it’s the refractive qualities of the hard outer shell and the archival-quality Mylar sheets over the book, which have been approved by the Library of Congress for the preservation of paper.

There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings. If you feel that your book has newton rings that are beyond our acceptable standards, you can certainly send us a picture and we will review."  Quotations mine.

So I sent the book back to be reholdered I was happy that it fell outside of the lines considered normal and acceptable. Upon return, I was flabbergasted to find those darned Newton rings of bent light yet again.  The problem here is that this particular cover: Danger Girl: Twenty Years (J. Scott Campbell Smoking Gun Virgin cover), simply highlights these refractive qualities. I do sell comics, so it is important that they look their best. I also suppose I simply could include this response from CGC in my listing to "teach" newbies that this is not a defect, but a visual apparition and does not inherently alter or lessen the value of your comic book. Alas, I just want to sell and not teach and simply wish they could "fix" or abolish this. 

20200412_100009 (1).jpg

Edited by Spearmintrob

8 hours ago, Spearmintrob said:

I have been reading all of your posts with both fascination and amusement. You can throw in a sense of respect for people who are reasonably trying to solve a "problem." It may only seem to be a perception problem, but to him/her to whom it is a problem . . . .well, it is a problem. This just occurred to me recently, and in response to someone's response about CGC and their view on it, here is CGC's official response:

"Thank you for your email. There is no liquid present, or anything that can damage your book. This visual phenomenon occurs when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In our cases, it’s the refractive qualities of the hard outer shell and the archival-quality Mylar sheets over the book, which have been approved by the Library of Congress for the preservation of paper.

There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings. If you feel that your book has newton rings that are beyond our acceptable standards, you can certainly send us a picture and we will review."  Quotations mine.

So I sent the book back to be reholdered I was happy that it fell outside of the lines considered normal and acceptable. Upon return, I was flabbergasted to find those darned Newton rings of bent light yet again.  The problem here is that this particular cover: Danger Girl: Twenty Years (J. Scott Campbell Smoking Gun Virgin cover), simply highlights these refractive qualities. I do sell comics, so it is important that they look their best. I also suppose I simply could include this response from CGC in my listing to "teach" newbies that this is not a defect, but a visual apparition and does not inherently alter or lessen the value of your comic book. Alas, I just want to sell and not teach and simply wish they could "fix" or abolish this. 

20200412_100009 (1).jpg

Oof, yeah, that's bad.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Oof, yeah, that's bad.

I'd almost forgotten about this thread. There's not a lot of NR posting lately is there, happily. I wonder if that means they've more or less fixed it. This example is rotten though and its interesting that the official position doesn't seem to have changed, i.e. it's normal / reholder if bad etc. Where they say "no guarantee a reholder will solve it", I wonder if anyone has demanded - and received - a full refund?  What happens when the customer is still dissatisfied? 

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

Nope. I just got tired of posting. My last several subs¬¬

Capture.PNG

:eek:

Over 6K of declared value moving back and forth there...

Why do you keep it up Pie (no snark intended)?

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:eek:

Over 6K of declared value moving back and forth there...

Why do you keep it up Pie (no snark intended)?

These are all PC books, so I want them to look reasonably presentable. Some books in there are re-tries. Sent back as soon as received because they seemingly didn't do anything to improve it.

Just waiting for the email, "Sorry sir but NR's are normal and you're impossible to please. Buh-bya."

Obviously, by looking at your sig, they are not present in all of their encapsulated books, as they told Spearmintrob. I just don't understand why if some do & some don't, they can't figure out how to prevent them. Of course, that's assuming they care.

3 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Obviously, by looking at your sig, they are not present in all of their encapsulated books, as they told Spearmintrob. I just don't understand why if some do & some don't, they can't figure out how to prevent them. Of course, that's assuming they care.

My sig? Newton Rings don't show much in scans but you're right in that they are not in all their books. I would even say a minority.

If they can make most books newton ring free, they can do it with all. It's a matter of QC at this point.

Edited by I like pie

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

My sig? Newton Rings don't show much in scans but you're right in that they are not in all their books. I would even say a minority.

If they can make most books newton ring free, they can do it with all. It's a matter of QC at this point.

That's always been my argument - ring free slabs are wonderful, if you like that sort of thing. Great product, great looking thing if that's your bag. When it goes wrong though, it's a disaster. How they have dealt with that disaster in the past, and even now, is what bugs me as an observer. The under current seems to be that it's your fault, your judgement that is off, not theirs. I don't like that in any company, hence the posts. If they owned it, gave a first class remedial service, and actively promoted their attempts to find a solution, this thread likely wouldn't exist.