• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

I just don't understand how stuff like this gets past quality control? 

Before  ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................After

895831475_katykeene62_0001.thumb.jpg.d58b2ef0adea699a7f20ae3918084ea1.jpg1857841144_katykeene62cgc0001.thumb.jpg.4d711697f1f8a2b3822acf071f3bbac1.jpg

26 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Update. I sent this back 2 weeks ago when they agreed to do a no charge re-holder. Previously these "mechanical error" books would show up on the invoice list and jump the line(which they should), and get turned around in 1-2 weeks.

Now they don't even put it on the invoice list, so you can't track it. Also, they are saying it takes the full 25+ business days.

:tonofbricks:

I’m sending back a label error today, hope I’m not waiting months!

Question, they said I would only get reimbursed for “regular” or “standard” shipping. What does that mean exactly? Insurance is on me?

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I just don't understand how stuff like this gets past quality control? 

Before  ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................After

895831475_katykeene62_0001.thumb.jpg.d58b2ef0adea699a7f20ae3918084ea1.jpg1857841144_katykeene62cgc0001.thumb.jpg.4d711697f1f8a2b3822acf071f3bbac1.jpg

That's crappy looking. VERY crappy looking. Maybe other people wouldn't mind, but I would definitely care.

If I were a betting man, I wager that CGC would reholder this on their dime for free.

Edited by Gaard

39 minutes ago, Gaard said:

That's crappy looking. VERY crappy looking. Maybe other people wouldn't mind, but I[/b ]would definitely care.

If I were a betting man, I wager that CGC would reholder this on their dime for free.

I am sending some back, but you have to pay the shipping upfront. I'm not sure how that works either. There are also no guarantees that they will be improved. 

Here are two others that came in the same box.  These are probably the worst, but the other books have the problems right in the center of the comic book image. 
  I've been sending them in over the past year or two, slowly. It takes a long time to get them back and when I open the boxes, I'm just sad.

1949342891_katykeene550001.thumb.jpg.eebedb31e67830991c77589882c2ac33.jpg1132051806_katykeene530001.thumb.jpg.95ac118ee5c7cc509f247587ae26f6f8.jpg785967052_katykeene53_0001.thumb.jpg.d0a9d24029e53ea1f34af905d63709ab.jpg1929707045_katykeene55_0001.thumb.jpg.f61ccda311be7df965d2efb38a5ffd55.jpg

Edited by skypinkblu

20 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I sent a couple of slabs back to be reholdered for free (puddling) & I paid the shipping up front. I sent them a scan of the receipt for the shipping and they reimbursed me.

Thanks! I understand they are trying. What is bothersome is that these should never have left the building.

2 hours ago, walclark said:

@skypinkblu

Sharon, I think the most telling statement is that, when you open the box from CGC and see your comics, you feel sad.  That shouldn’t be what any company that sells a product or service wants to hear.

I would expect that's true Walter @walclark, but it's frustrating. I don't want to jump up and down and yell and scream or do meme's, I respect the hard work that the graders do, and I've interacted with some other terrific people there over the years. But when you fix something that was not broken before, and it's broken...you need to use a different mousetrap.

Greggy recently posted scans in "This Week Back from CGC" of a 25 issue submit that was graded on 8/3.  The same date as yours, Sharon.  Fortunately for him they all look clean, except maybe the first one a bit.  No consolation if it's your book that's ringy, but it may be evidence that they're getting a handle on it.  I see three other submits on that thread moving forward from 8/3 and they look good too.

I'd keep an eye on things on that thread and check auction sites to get a feel for what's happening, then wait a month or so before subbing back for reholdering.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Greggy recently posted scans in "This Week Back from CGC" of a 25 issue submit that was graded on 8/3.  The same date as yours, Sharon.  Fortunately for him they all look clean, except maybe the first one a bit.  No consolation if it's your book that's ringy, but it may be evidence that they're getting a handle on it.  I see three other submits on that thread moving forward from 8/3 and they look good too.

I'd keep an eye on things on that thread and check auction sites to get a feel for what's happening, then wait a month or so before subbing back for reholdering.

That is immediately what I thought about was Greggy's books..... :wishluck: hopefully that these one's with the distorted rings aren't considered "outliers" by CGC and them do nothing...

That was why I thought it had to do with Quality Control, but at least this gives us hope and CGC won't be too affected :foryou: 

29 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is immediately what I thought about was Greggy's books..... :wishluck: hopefully that these one's with the distorted rings aren't considered "outliers" by CGC and them do nothing...

That was why I thought it had to do with Quality Control, but at least this gives us hope and CGC won't be too affected :foryou: 

Well, someone above posted a response from CGC about QC. Of course, it's a materials issue. QC is just about controlling for the especially bad cases of bad cases. But I see grumbling on other parts of social media, too, including an instance of getting a book back from CGC with a 4" crack on the back. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that QC is just the guy packing boxes all day doing a quick glance as things go in the box.

These were graded on 8/3 and 8/2.

Certification Information

Certification #: 1609449001
Title: Flash
Issue: 323
Issue Date: 7/83
Issue Year: 1983
Publisher: D.C. Comics
Grade: 7.0
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 08/03/2018
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Cary Bates & Nicola Cuti stories
Infantino, Patton & Giffen art
Infantino & Rodriguez cover
Key Comments: Reverse Flash appearance.
Creeper backup story.
Signatures:

SIGNED BY GRANT GUSTIN ON 6/23/18

HB3SsDx.jpg

Certification Information

Certification #: 1278363004
Title: Amazing Spider-Man
Issue: 316
Issue Date: 6/89
Issue Year: 1989
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.4
Total Graded At: 388
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 08/02/2018
Category: Modern
Art Comments: David Michelinie story
Todd McFarlane cover & art
Key Comments: Venom & Black Cat appearance.

4Bgo8EZ.jpg

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are people really sending these back? to get fixed? 

if so

in what quantities? is it working? do I bother?

I really think there is no 'fixing' these if sent back. In some cases, it can happen post encapsulation when snugly packaged for shipping or storage. But whatever, if collectors want to send them back in, go ahead. (shrug)

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:
8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

if so

I really think there is no 'fixing' these if sent back. In some cases, it can happen post encapsulation when snugly packaged for shipping or storage. But whatever, if collectors want to send them back in, go ahead. (shrug)

It's too much a bother for me, really for one book, I could see if there was a definite fix and a guarantee then I would. But by then it might not be "free" anymore (shrug) 

Also I added better pics of my Moon Knight sketch, it really looks mmmm not good lol 

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

if so

@FoggyNelson here is a better view :foryou:

we NEED....to.... Coneheads.jpg :ohnoez: :sorry: there is just no way to describe disappointment in a non-demeaning fashion :foryou: